POC Receptor Bug Helmet - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Oldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Too Far from Real Vertical
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
POC Receptor Bug Helmet

After spending nearly an hour in the shop trying on different buckets, I selected the POC Receptor Bug. I tried on Smith's, Berns, Giro's and a couple of others, but in the end settled on the POC simply because it fit my mellon the best. I also was attracted to the fact that from a construction standpoint it is the most simple of the bunch and one of the most solid.

Other than the chin strap, there is nothing to adjust. You simply pull it on and go.

Now, I believe because of the lack of adjustment, this POC either fits your head or it doesn't. There are some very very minor padding adjustments that can be made but they are not going to change the shape of the helmet or your head.

There is always a challenge with the Helmet to Goggle interface. Again for me this worked out brilliantly as I wear the old version of the VZ Feenom (which I brought with me to the shop ) and the match for the two is like it was meant to be. Very nice fit with no gap between google and helmet.

Having worn it a couple of days now, I can say that as I ride, I don't notice it and that is what a good fitting helmet should be all about. It is snug on my head, does not move at all and does a nice job of keeping my head warm.

If you are shopping and you like this style of helmet, try it on. You will know very quickly if it is for you. Fit or no fit. It's as simple as that as you cannot adjust it.

Get it. Wax it. Ride it.
Oldman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Other than the chin strap, there is nothing to adjust. You simply pull it on and go.

You will know very quickly if it is for you. Fit or no fit. It's as simple as that as you cannot adjust it.
Unless you get the adjustable version:
Receptor BUG Adjustable 2.0 - POC
SGboarder is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:01 PM
TLN
Senior Member
 
TLN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGboarder View Post
Unless you get the adjustable version:
Receptor BUG Adjustable 2.0 - POC
I think newer versions are adjustable and comes is sizes like L/XL. Older come in one size only.
Older version have stupid google clip, and if you wanna have MIPS you need to buy older one: no adjustments, old clip.
TLN is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
 
nutmegchoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
I have POC Receptor Backcountry Helmet and very happy with mine.
I gave myself a bad enough concision that separated my old Smith's hard and soft shell last year.
Not that I was wearing cheap helmets before, now I really don't count pennies over helmets.
nutmegchoi is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Shred Monster
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sasquatch Territory
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
I have POC Receptor Backcountry Helmet and very happy with mine.
I gave myself a bad enough concision that separated my old Smith's hard and soft shell last year.
Not that I was wearing cheap helmets before, now I really don't count pennies over helmets.
Which Smith helmet did you have?

~Ride Fearlessly~

2015/2016 Distance 1063 miles Vertical 1074k feet
Rogue is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
One other note for people: the Receptor and the Fornix have distinctly different shapes. Don't think that one will fit because the other did. My head did not fit the Receptor at all but did fit the Fornix. After a concussion I ended up with the Fornix Backcountry MIPS. I was happy POC was offering MIPS version of these helmets.
Kenai is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
 
nutmegchoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Which Smith helmet did you have?
It was Women's Vantage Snow.
It wasn't even a cheap helmet.
I believe I paid somewhere around $200 at REI.

Though. My concusion was pretty bad.
Out of 3 grades, I had grade 2 traumatic brain injury (it sounds awful when I write down like this).
I lost 20 minutes memories before and after the incident.
So without that separated helmet, my brain could've spilled over the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
One other note for people: the Receptor and the Fornix have distinctly different shapes. Don't think that one will fit because the other did. My head did not fit the Receptor at all but did fit the Fornix. After a concussion I ended up with the Fornix Backcountry MIPS. I was happy POC was offering MIPS version of these helmets.
I agree.
It was vice versa in my case.
And I'm a MIPS believer.
nutmegchoi is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Shred Monster
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sasquatch Territory
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Aw hell I was afraid you were going to say that. That is.....very serious, I'm glad you're OK now but damn.

I was looking into other helmets and chatted with a guy from backcountry.com & he acted like there are no significant differences between helmets. I asked about MIPS & he said what I already knew about it. I really wish there was a way to know what is seriously the most protection out there.

I hope this one protects you better !
Rogue is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Kenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
I was in the same [ugly] boat. I had a good Giro helmet that split wide open when I fell backward to the bottom of the half pipe. I wish I could say I could actually ride a half pipe and I was doing something spectacular, but I just ride up the wall and try to make a small 180 below the lip! I assume I caught my back edge on a heel side turn. I lost 5 hours of my day and almost three weeks of work. I can't imagine what would have happened without a helmet.

I don't know how effective it might be, but I wanted a MIPS helmet for my new lid, which is why I got the POC. The extra cost for the MIPS was a no-brainer!
Kenai is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
 
nutmegchoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Aw hell I was afraid you were going to say that. That is.....very serious, I'm glad you're OK now but damn.

I was looking into other helmets and chatted with a guy from backcountry.com & he acted like there are no significant differences between helmets. I asked about MIPS & he said what I already knew about it. I really wish there was a way to know what is seriously the most protection out there.

I hope this one protects you better !
So far I haven't had a serious crash test with POC.
Now that POC is covered with pros' autographs from X Games, I looked into another helmet and just got Pret Effect X with MIPS.
I wish I can understand what all those different certificates mean.
But for now, I just have to think and believe more money I pay will give me better protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
I was in the same [ugly] boat. I had a good Giro helmet that split wide open when I fell backward to the bottom of the half pipe. I wish I could say I could actually ride a half pipe and I was doing something spectacular, but I just ride up the wall and try to make a small 180 below the lip! I assume I caught my back edge on a heel side turn. I lost 5 hours of my day and almost three weeks of work. I can't imagine what would have happened without a helmet.

I don't know how effective it might be, but I wanted a MIPS helmet for my new lid, which is why I got the POC. The extra cost for the MIPS was a no-brainer!
Sounds like you had worse case than mine.
Mine was only 20 minutes memory loss, major headache, temporally memory loss... Etc.

Last edited by nutmegchoi; 02-18-2016 at 10:18 PM.
nutmegchoi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome