Burton cable locks are garbage - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 428
Default Burton cable locks are garbage

I bought a burton lock and have used it for about 6 or 7 trips. I realized it wasn't heavy duty, but I just wanted to make my board the least tempting to steal. I liked that it was fairly small/light and had a flat profile so I could keep it in my pocket and not notice.

So I'm out at the hill yesterday and go to unlock my board, and notice the combo isn't working. It's jammed or something. So I'm thinking damn, now I'm gonna have to go to the shop and try to ask someone to cut the cable on my board for me, and convince them that it's actually mine.

Instead I decide to try and fiddle with it, and notice that if you bend it at the point of insertion with not that much force, it will just snap off the thin piece of plastic in its way and come out.

Waste of $15, won't protect your board, and might get it stuck.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
corneilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 150
Default

First of, 15 dollar isn't such a big waste on a cable lock.1) I have it myself and I never had problems with it, neither did my friends. 2) If you are a thief and you see a board locked, you are gonna take another one that's not locked, you're not going to start fiddling with it because people will notice that.

+ I always place my board where I can see it, even if it's locked, so I can see if people try to steal it

Last edited by corneilli; 02-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.
corneilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 154
Blog Entries: 1
Default

My wife and I both had problems with the combination of burton coil leash lock. The combination would be slightly off after locking it or even just taking in out of my pocket. I even tried not spinning the numbers after locking it. I figured something inside must be broken so I just returned them.
edlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TorpedoVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 393
Default

Go buy a small coil bike lock and throw it in your cargo pant pocket....100x stronger and 10 bucks. If you don't have a pocket to throw it in, leave it locked up at the base.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
Default

I got one of these this season

Master Lock 8417D Python Adjustable Locking Cable, 6-Foot - Amazon.com

So far, so good. Cheaper than a burton lock and definitely more durable/ harder to break
alex12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Default

I actually had mine change the combo on me, I don't know how it happened. I locked my stuff up, came back out and the combo wasn't working. Good thing I started to play with it and found out it changed two numbers somehow.
jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
The Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
I bought a burton lock and have used it for about 6 or 7 trips. I realized it wasn't heavy duty, but I just wanted to make my board the least tempting to steal. I liked that it was fairly small/light and had a flat profile so I could keep it in my pocket and not notice.

So I'm out at the hill yesterday and go to unlock my board, and notice the combo isn't working. It's jammed or something. So I'm thinking damn, now I'm gonna have to go to the shop and try to ask someone to cut the cable on my board for me, and convince them that it's actually mine.

Instead I decide to try and fiddle with it, and notice that if you bend it at the point of insertion with not that much force, it will just snap off the thin piece of plastic in its way and come out.

Waste of $15, won't protect your board, and might get it stuck.
Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
Go buy a small coil bike lock and throw it in your cargo pant pocket....100x stronger and 10 bucks. If you don't have a pocket to throw it in, leave it locked up at the base.
The Deacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PiKiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneilli View Post
First of, 15 dollar isn't such a big waste on a cable lock.1) I have it myself and I never had problems with it, neither did my friends. 2) If you are a thief and you see a board locked, you are gonna take another one that's not locked, you're not going to start fiddling with it because people will notice that.

+ I always place my board where I can see it, even if it's locked, so I can see if people try to steal it
Agree, and pretty much what I do. You can break these locks with some ease but the attention they get is probably too much. I hope!
__________________
epic ride
PiKiT
PiKiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DE
Posts: 103
Default

They are junk. In fact, mine broke at the mountain and consequently my board was stolen later that day! $800 later, I bought a Dakine cam lock with key. I should be able to litigate...
LightninSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 342
Default

This is why I do and have only used these two locks




No nothing is full proof but the harder it is to steal the better the chance that they will just pass it by
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums