New Innovative Equipment - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarding 4U View Post
Good Day Everybody!!
Just asking for a bit of advice and information on a new product we want to bring to the market. It would entail devising a device that would allow all your snowboarding activities to be monitored. For example your speed, flips, turns etc. That where you guys come in... We would like to open the floor to suggestions on what this device should do, Price Ranges etc. Anything at all, we are open to different ideas and who better to get them off but you guys.
Thanks in advance and we look forward to hearing everything
I think what you're quickly finding out is there isn't a need/market for the type of device you're trying to create. It's already saturated with simpler solutions using phone apps and even those apps aren't making any money because people eventually get over the novelty of recording their stats when they snowboard.

I'd suggest looking at other areas to innovate if you really want to create a snowboard related product.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons

Last edited by Jed; 04-10-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 547
Default

What are "Price Ranges"?

GRAMMAR POLICE, ATTACK!!!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
andrewdod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plymouth, NH
Posts: 537
Default

i like the idea of having a gps avy tracker, and speed monitoring. all in one, it would save my phones battery, if i get lost i can be pin pointed via gps, and i can keep track of my riding. itd be cool if you used the gps technology to tell us where we are, set routes, and give us estimates of how long it will take to get to the top for the back country guys. Oh, and make it so i can blast my tunes out of it to save my phone battery even more. And it needs to be able to have probably a 3 to 4 day battery life incase i were to get lost.
__________________
-Andrew
It comes and it goes. Get it while it Lasts.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FireStarter451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanscrazydaisy View Post
is there a Strava for Snowboarders yet?
Funny you mention that. I'm taking my GPS watch that I use for running to track my last outing on Sunday, and I'm uploading to Strava anyway lol. I guess I'll put it down as a "bike ride."
FireStarter451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
It's already saturated with simpler solutions using phone apps and even those apps aren't making any money because people eventually get over the novelty of recording their stats when they snowboard.
I think they aren't making money because compared to a dedicated GPS device, they suck (from my experience anyway).

As far as the novelty of recording stats, maybe I'm the minority, but I've been recording stats for about 4 years now and love it. It pushes me to go farther almost every day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdod View Post
if i get lost i can be pin pointed via gps, and i can keep track of my riding. itd be cool if you used the gps technology to tell us where we are, set routes, and give us estimates of how long it will take to get to the top for the back country guys.
For it to be able to tell somebody else where you are, it has to have cell reception and a valid plan. Your cell phone can already do that. For the other uses you mentioned, there's already backcountry GPS solutions for hikers, mountain bikers, etc that would work fine for what you're asking (except maybe estimated time to hike a certain trail).

OP, it sounds like you want to invent something with more sensors in it, to record tricks and that kind of thing right? G-forces during turns, air time, etc. I remember Nokia and Burton working on something like that. Looks like they've abandoned the sensor idea, but kept the app...

Nokia and Burton intro a snowboarding app to prep and record epic runs (video)
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
CassMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitefish MT
Posts: 1,849
Default

How about a device that can tell I've tumbled in and avalanche , and if I don't turn it off in 30 secs it will trigger a remote call to ski patrol/search and rescue, and my exact gps to my riding partner's beacons...meanwhile releasing compressed air into a sealed , super high impact, moto type helmet

...and I'll take some fries with that too please

Last edited by CassMT; 04-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
How about a device that can tell I've tumbled in and avalanche , and if I don't turn it off in 30 secs it will trigger a remote call to ski patrol/search and rescue, and my exact gps to my riding partner's beacons...meanwhile releasing compressed air into a sealed , super high impact, moto type helmet
Good idea with the "alarm if I dont react".
Not only avy, also in an tree well (since I've read about these things I'm not so sure anymore if I want to come to PNW ) meaning a sensor recognizing if you're up side down more than some secs.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I think they aren't making money because compared to a dedicated GPS device, they suck (from my experience anyway).

As far as the novelty of recording stats, maybe I'm the minority, but I've been recording stats for about 4 years now and love it. It pushes me to go farther almost every day...
I'm actually a fan of stats, but I think the problem with snowboard stats is it's hard to use them as a tool to measure progress like you can in other sports like cycling or running.

All those tools just measure irrelevant data like average altitude, how fast did I go etc. etc.

I'd be 100% for an app that could automatically figure out exactly which tricks I tried that day, which I landed, which I didn't, my average progression rate for landing new tricks etc. etc. but I imagine it's basically impossible to have something that's going to know exactly which trick I did and measure all those stats accurately.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
I'm actually a fan of stats, but I think the problem with snowboard stats is it's hard to use them as a tool to measure progress like you can in other sports like cycling or running.

All those tools just measure irrelevant data like average altitude, how fast did I go etc. etc.

I'd be 100% for an app that could automatically figure out exactly which tricks I tried that day, which I landed, which I didn't, my average progression rate for landing new tricks etc. etc. but I imagine it's basically impossible to have something that's going to know exactly which trick I did and measure all those stats accurately.
Yeah, the numbers I look at are total distance for the day, and more importantly vertical meters. I've noticed this year that my ratio of vertical to distance is increasing (so on average I'm riding steeper stuff more often), and total distance is a fun one to keep you pushing.

When I used to use apps, I'd upload to Garmin Connects website (the raw data) and now I use a Garmin multi-sport watch. It's great because I can use it for everything. I do a little mountain biking and hiking in the summer. I did one triathlon last year and would like to do more this year, and it's a great tool for that.

I agree though that for boarding it's tough to track what you actually want to know. I did 35 km the other day at Fernie, and it felt like an amazing day, while I can do 50 km in a morning at Nakiska because I'm just groomer bombing all day.

The only way to know which actual tricks you're doing, air time, etc. Is to have accelerometers (sp?) on the tips of the board in various planes. This is how subs and rockets navigate (albeit with help from gps). With enough sensors you'd be able to tell cornering g-forces (at the centre of the board), rotation acceleration, speed, duration, etc and from that it could calculate how many rotations were completed in the air. It should be able to tell if you've done a normal grab or a suitcase or method based on the board rotating up 90 deg behind you.

There's no way around it though, you'd have to have sensors on the board to get good data.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
device, equipment, innovative

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums