Where to ride in Boston/Cambridge,MA - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
hyeparis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Where to ride in Boston/Cambridge,MA

Hello, everyone!
I have moved to Cambridge, MA, from Russia earlier this year and since my elder kid (13 years old) likes to snowboard, I want to take him to some place to do so. Can you please recommend any places not too far away? (1-hour ride?) Also apart from paid locations, are there any slopes/small hills available to public free of charge fit for snowboarding?
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Rip and Ship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeparis View Post
Hello, everyone!
I have moved to Cambridge, MA, from Russia earlier this year and since my elder kid (13 years old) likes to snowboard, I want to take him to some place to do so. Can you please recommend any places not too far away? (1-hour ride?) Also apart from paid locations, are there any slopes/small hills available to public free of charge fit for snowboarding?
Thank you!
Honestly MA is really lacking for some slopes. There are a few places in NH within a few hours trip. Check out the map.

New Hampshire Ski Resort Map :: SkiNH.com

But places in MA you can always check out Nashoba Valley or Wachusett Mountain. Though they've had ice all season so far but we just got a fresh foot of snow as you know.

Last edited by Rip and Ship; 12-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Rip and Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: north attleboro, ma
Posts: 32
Default

definitley bring him to wachusett. Dont bother with nashoba valley. Wachusett got some great snow and the conditions are decent. If you looking for a daytrip def check it out.
jaybap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Default

I live in boston for about 6 years now. best skiing in massachusetts is not actually in massachusetts.

i would recommend traveling to Loon in NH. its about 2 hours away--and the extra hour in the car is well worth it for what you get once you are there.

watchusett is garbage from what i've heard--but i've never bothered going there to see it for myself.

if you want to venture a little further Sunday River is grade A in my book.
__________________
Never Summar Cobra 158 - Rome 390
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 - Rome 390 - Northwave Legend, Ride BOA Crew
Rome Agent 160 - Rome 390 - Northwave Decade
Ride Society 157 - Ride Beta MVMT - 32 Ultralight
M3 Discord 155.5 - Drake SuperSport - Northwave Decade SL
maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Rip and Ship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
I live in boston for about 6 years now. best skiing in massachusetts is not actually in massachusetts.

i would recommend traveling to Loon in NH. its about 2 hours away--and the extra hour in the car is well worth it for what you get once you are there.

watchusett is garbage from what i've heard--but i've never bothered going there to see it for myself.

if you want to venture a little further Sunday River is grade A in my book.
Wachusett is very icy most of the year. I agree make the trip north.
Rip and Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip and Ship View Post
Wachusett is very icy most of the year. I agree make the trip north.
I dissent. I think they have pretty decent conditions.

Here is the MA list:
(1) Blue Hills. Very small. Very close to Boston.

(2) Wachusett Mountain. It's about 45 - 60 min down Rt 2 from Cambridge. For a local mountain, I think this place is great. Don't go 8am - 4pm on Weekends. Quite busy.

(3) There is a place called Neshoba Valley. It about as far as Wachuset, but nearly as good. Don't both.

(4) Beyond this, go to New Hampshire resorts.

(5) Local golf courses have some small hills if you want a quick fix, or are going for some "street" riding.
__________________
"Nancy Ninja Nabs Nefarious Nymph. Pays Price Per Pissed Pants!" -Flick

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society


sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: north attleboro, ma
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
I live in boston for about 6 years now. best skiing in massachusetts is not actually in massachusetts.

i would recommend traveling to Loon in NH. its about 2 hours away--and the extra hour in the car is well worth it for what you get once you are there.

watchusett is garbage from what i've heard--but i've never bothered going there to see it for myself.

if you want to venture a little further Sunday River is grade A in my book.

Shes looking for an hour trip and you recommend sunday river????????

Also for an hour drive wachusett is not garbage. Theyll have 3 parks built by end of january, and did I mention its 45 minutes away!!!!! Until you go there dont knock it. It is small, but not horrible. Go check it out on a wednseday night, I garantee you have fun.
jaybap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybap View Post
Shes looking for an hour trip and you recommend sunday river????????

Also for an hour drive wachusett is not garbage. Theyll have 3 parks built by end of january, and did I mention its 45 minutes away!!!!! Until you go there dont knock it. It is small, but not horrible. Go check it out on a wednseday night, I garantee you have fun.
OFT, on both counts.
__________________
"Nancy Ninja Nabs Nefarious Nymph. Pays Price Per Pissed Pants!" -Flick

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society


sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Default

yeah i live in providence ri, nothing good in mass unless, wachusetts is a nice mtn. if you wana learn with your young kids or your just bored out of your mind, but really just take the extra hour to go to loon or cannon both are only 2 hours max. Actually you could go to jimmny peak, thats up on the new york line in the north west corner of the state, probally from boston only like an hour and a half max. A little better than wachusetts, hope this helps
steve_ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dalau
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is Bear Cage Hill in Franklin Park unplowed/unshoveled during the winter? If so, that'd make a good place for some quick runs. There's two sides to the path on the hill, and it's about the width of a narrow trail. There's also a second, less steep hill at Franklin Park. I'd suggest only riding if there's a good base, b/c the path is made up of small rocks and gravel.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums