car rental - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gustov
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default car rental

so i recently found out that you can rent a car if you're 21-24 but you have to pay like $27 a day or something. now i'm wondering what rental companies some of you guys have used in the past. how much were they? any really good or bad things about them?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,876
Default

I've used Budget, Avis, Enterprise, and most recently Alamo. They are all pretty much the same imo. About the biggest thing is expect around an extra $100 on your rental if you are taking the car out from an airport. My Salt Lake City rental with the walk away insurance should have been about $180-$190. With the airport/state/city fees they tacked on it came to $279. DIA has the same bs and just about every other airport I've been to.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

Wow. It would be much cheaper to just take a cab to a rental company like we did. I had no idea we avoided those costs, we just didn't want to drive back to the airport since we weren't flying out there.

We rented when we were in Whistler village, if it makes any difference.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustov View Post
so i recently found out that you can rent a car if you're 21-24 but you have to pay like $27 a day or something. now i'm wondering what rental companies some of you guys have used in the past. how much were they? any really good or bad things about them?
I always use hotwire.com It's $16.95 a day for a Pontiac G6 or compatible. They have cars as low as $13.95 but that's for a really dinky car. The G6 is mid-size category and the smallest I would drive. I've rented from them on every trip to Denver. They have a shuttle service from the airport to the rental pickup/drop off location. Pickup and drop off is a simple process. No hidden costs either. I have a trip scheduled for April 9th pickup and April 13th drop off and the total price is $92.98. That will be the total in the end unless you add insurance. Check with your own insurance company and see if you have coverage if you rent a car.
ThugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

That's a pretty good price and a G6 is not a miserable car either. I'll have to check hotwire next time I travel.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,125
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Always use Enterprise these days.
__________________
15 LibTech TRS HP . 15 NS Snowtrooper . 15 NS Ripsaw . 13 Salomon Pow Snake
15 Now Drive . 14 Now Drive
14 Flow Hylite
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SLC
Posts: 100
Default

Check out fatwallet or slickdeals as they have dedicated forums for finding the best rental deals.

Also, if you have an American Express card, sign up for their rental insurance, its free!
Tuan209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Simply^Ride
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan209 View Post

Also, if you have an American Express card, sign up for their rental insurance, its free!
Some Visa cards also offer it. I have one with capitalone and I have the service for free, helps save a lot of money.

And yeah renting cars under 25yo sucks, did it many times and payed a lot of cash for it. I know some people like pre-med students get a card that exempts then from paying the extra cost.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Tmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugHunter View Post
I always use hotwire.com It's $16.95 a day for a Pontiac G6 or compatible. They have cars as low as $13.95 but that's for a really dinky car. The G6 is mid-size category and the smallest I would drive. I've rented from them on every trip to Denver. They have a shuttle service from the airport to the rental pickup/drop off location. Pickup and drop off is a simple process. No hidden costs either. I have a trip scheduled for April 9th pickup and April 13th drop off and the total price is $92.98. That will be the total in the end unless you add insurance. Check with your own insurance company and see if you have coverage if you rent a car.
You doing anything special to get these prices? I am going to Denver the beginning of March and the cheapest prices on hotwire.com are like $24 per day for economy cars. I checked on prices a while back and could not find anything cheaper than this.
Tmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney View Post
You doing anything special to get these prices? I am going to Denver the beginning of March and the cheapest prices on hotwire.com are like $24 per day for economy cars. I checked on prices a while back and could not find anything cheaper than this.
Nothing special. Pickup from Denver airport. I was just messing around with it and noticed what you're talking about with the prices in March which are much higher. It may be because they increased prices in anticipation of Spring Breakers or just because it's within a certain amount of days (last minute planning). I plan my trips well in advance and never had a problem getting the $16.95 rate. If you plug in dates in April, you'll see what I'm talking about.
ThugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums