Hakuba vs Myoko Japan - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hakuba vs Myoko Japan

Any thoughts on which is the better area

Love powder, love park
skating101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Clevocapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
That's a tough call. Both are awesome.

I have a mate who lives in Nagano so when I visit he takes me to his local mountains. Which is Myoko Suginohara. Lots of places to go off course and get pow through trees ect. Not a bad park setup. Doesn't have much nightlife. That I found anyway.

Hakuba has more of a selection of mountains. Good nightlife. Easy to get to. And lots of pow and parks too. I think most of the mountains are steeper around Hakuba.

If I didn't have my mate to guide me around Myoko ,I would just go to Hakuba.

Im sure you would find both have what you want. I find Hakuba more tourist friendly.
Clevocapri is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevocapri View Post
That's a tough call. Both are awesome.

I have a mate who lives in Nagano so when I visit he takes me to his local mountains. Which is Myoko Suginohara. Lots of places to go off course and get pow through trees ect. Not a bad park setup. Doesn't have much nightlife. That I found anyway.

Hakuba has more of a selection of mountains. Good nightlife. Easy to get to. And lots of pow and parks too. I think most of the mountains are steeper around Hakuba.

If I didn't have my mate to guide me around Myoko ,I would just go to Hakuba.

Im sure you would find both have what you want. I find Hakuba more tourist friendly.
Thanks for the reply

Not that interested in the nightlife but hows the ski in/ski out of myoko? Hows the park compared to Hakuba?
skating101 is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 PM
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,451
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hakuba is 1000000x more popular than Myoko. With that comes the crowds so be warned. I like my riding to be nice and quiet rather than busy so I avoid places like Hakuba and Niseko.
Myoko gets more snow due to being the first mountain to get hit by the snow clouds as they roll off the sea of japan.
Both have pretty epic backcountry, Hakuba is bigger if you want to getvserious but myoko backcountry is enough to satisfy most and once again waaaay less crowded.

Im working at a lodge in myoko this coming season so if you end up going there drop me a line, Ill show you around ;-)
This is where Im working
Chalet Myoko - Home
ETM is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Member
 
Clevocapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Thanks for the reply

Not that interested in the nightlife but hows the ski in/ski out of myoko? Hows the park compared to Hakuba?

Im no park expert but the parks around Hakuba looked like they had more in them.

Ive not stayed in Myoko so im not sure about the accomadation. Hakuba is definitely setup better for tourists. But as said above. That means there is more tourists!

I will be around Myoko for the last 12days of January next year, with a couple of days at Hakuba in the middle of the trip. Cant wait!
Clevocapri is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
 
tokyo_dom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Hakuba is 1000000x more popular than Myoko. With that comes the crowds so be warned. I like my riding to be nice and quiet rather than busy so I avoid places like Hakuba and Niseko.
This is because Japan is cheap and quick for Australians. And Australians know that Japan *ONLY* has 3 snowboarding destinations: Hakuba (Hekoooober), Niseko (Niiisaykoh), and the newly discovered Nozawa Onsen (No-zaaawa Ons'n). Last time i flew back from Aust around december the checked in luggage was 80% snowboarding gear. And the entire plane was full of people heading to Negaarrrrno to see Hekoober.

However due to all the Aussie crowds at these three locations, the night life is better (not normally part of Japanese snow trips), the number of signs in English and English speaking resort workers increases, and tours/access will be easier to find in English.

Personally i love Niigata, but keen to check out Myoko and Shiga kogen this coming season
tokyo_dom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome