New Zealand Travel - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
NzGnu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah thats definatly a good way to get over here for a winter.

We pretty much always just go up cardrona as thats where we have season passes for and dont usually have enough money to go elsewhere very often. Though we will usually splash out if somewhere gets some real good snow. But if you came with us to Wanaka you can easily hitch from there up 2 treble cone and snowpark. Treble cone is good for steeps, however only when all the lifts are running. In high ends they often only have the main lift going which can limit the riding. Yeah club fields are a good option for finding some pow as it doesnt get tracked out as quick.

There's a skatepark in Dunedin thats pretty decent, should be able to keep you busy during spring. Its just down by the train station which im sure you'll be able to find once your down here.

I probably wont get my first day up cardrona untill early july as im heading back to wellington over the holidays to do some work and save some money. but after that we will probably go most weekends and the mid semester break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Lamb_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Does it take 4hrs to get from dunedin to queenstown?? (sorry google/any search wont work on my comp and its driving me crazy!!)

Went to mt hutt on monday was awesome.. wasnt even TOO badly crowded (well for what we anticipated (public holiday + 2nd day open) however was more crowded then i like and couldnt be assed lining up for the 6 chair as the line was massive.. gonna be an awesome season
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
NzGnu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Uh i think it takes about 3 and a half hours. but depends on weather and traffic and how you drive etc.
might be quicker, not sure, usually takes just less than that to get to Wanaka, which I think is slightly closer?
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Grabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NzGnu View Post
Yeah thats definatly a good way to get over here for a winter.

We pretty much always just go up cardrona as thats where we have season passes for and dont usually have enough money to go elsewhere very often. Though we will usually splash out if somewhere gets some real good snow. But if you came with us to Wanaka you can easily hitch from there up 2 treble cone and snowpark. Treble cone is good for steeps, however only when all the lifts are running. In high ends they often only have the main lift going which can limit the riding. Yeah club fields are a good option for finding some pow as it doesnt get tracked out as quick.

There's a skatepark in Dunedin thats pretty decent, should be able to keep you busy during spring. Its just down by the train station which im sure you'll be able to find once your down here.

I probably wont get my first day up cardrona untill early july as im heading back to wellington over the holidays to do some work and save some money. but after that we will probably go most weekends and the mid semester break.
I was actually thinking after I did some research that I'd end up at Cadrona a lot. Seems like it has a good variety of things which appeals to me since I enjoy a mix of park and freeriding. I really enjoy just messing around on or off trails and finding natural features. How would you say Cadrona is for finding natural hits? The lack of trees will take some getting used to definitely!

I leave in exactly two weeks and I am pretty damn excited to get to New Zealand. I'm dying to get back on my board before the summer rustiness sets in too much. I am spending a few days on the North Island before heading down to Dunedin around June 29th and also hoping to get my first trip in early July once I'm settled. Could I shoot you a PM at some point once I'm there to find when you might be going/have space in the car? Thanks again for all the info!
Grabby is offline  
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:19 AM
NzGnu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah no worries.
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
marky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
look at jucy car rental $25 per day small car you will need chains.you might luck some at cash converters.thay will also include 1 day lift ticket per 1 day car hire.Also company named chill will hook you up with every thing.Can not recomend 1 place better than another you must go look yourself.Thay are all good.lot of pow to be found in NZ.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
look at jucy car rental $25 per day small car you will need chains.you might luck some at cash converters.thay will also include 1 day lift ticket per 1 day car hire.Also company named chill will hook you up with every thing.Can not recomend 1 place better than another you must go look yourself.Thay are all good.lot of pow to be found in NZ.
I'm heading down to Wanaka in early Sept and wanted to rent a car. However, i heard you need to be at least 25 years old to rent (I'm 24). Is this true?
ckang008 is offline  
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
marky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Exclamation driveing in nz

the 1 thing about nz driveing cars in the county side.Thay have big tanker trucks tight bends.Be carefull, I got my drivers ticket at 15 in NZ.Never heard about the age restrictions you ar talking about.Whatever thay prob got it sorted with higher insurance costs.Thay wont send you away.Thay want your $$.I think the redemption thing that jucy car rental is for a field down near wanaka ,$25 car & ticket per day I think a normal day is over $80.Enjoy your self its a magic country.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
the 1 thing about nz driveing cars in the county side.Thay have big tanker trucks tight bends.Be carefull, I got my drivers ticket at 15 in NZ.Never heard about the age restrictions you ar talking about.Whatever thay prob got it sorted with higher insurance costs.Thay wont send you away.Thay want your $$.I think the redemption thing that jucy car rental is for a field down near wanaka ,$25 car & ticket per day I think a normal day is over $80.Enjoy your self its a magic country.
Ah, guess i won't bother with driving then. I'll just take the bus
ckang008 is offline  
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Kiwi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckang008 View Post
Ah, guess i won't bother with driving then. I'll just take the bus
Dude, just buy a shitter subaru 4x4 wagon. You can get em for as little as NZD 1500.

www.trademe.co.nz is your friend!!!! Just got another big dump over the weekend so should be awesome august!
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome