Need some suggestions... - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen enough of NY, upstate and the city, weeeee
Driving during rush hour traffic is like going to the dentist
NoirX252 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
NyInfamous'Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
How high is the peak in Oregon? I loved Utah and the powder for sure, it was like Heaven...but in Colorado the ride from top to bottom was a good 15, 20 minutes and I have been looking for spots that are like that again. Theres nothing like being on a lift for 20 minutes then being back at the bottom again in 3 minutes lol.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Member
 
shredbetties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyInfamous'Girl View Post
How high is the peak in Oregon? I loved Utah and the powder for sure, it was like Heaven...but in Colorado the ride from top to bottom was a good 15, 20 minutes and I have been looking for spots that are like that again. Theres nothing like being on a lift for 20 minutes then being back at the bottom again in 3 minutes lol.
You can look up the vertical rise of all of the Oregon resorts on their websites, but Mt Hood Meadows says 2777. It's about 600 less than Breck, which I think you said you'd gone to? The overall elevation of the Oregon resorts is lower, but that might be nice for you coming from sea level. Bachelor has a good long vertical - if the top lift is open it's like 3300 feet, similar to most of the summit county resorts.

If you want a long ride from top to bottom, it's hard to beat the Jackson Hole Tram - which gains over 4000 feet in just one ride!

The Aspen resorts also have some big vertical - the snowmass vertical is 4400 feet, but you have to take several lifts to get that in so it's not nearly as exciting as jackson


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shredbetties is offline  
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
NyInfamous'Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredbetties View Post
You can look up the vertical rise of all of the Oregon resorts on their websites, but Mt Hood Meadows says 2777. It's about 600 less than Breck, which I think you said you'd gone to? The overall elevation of the Oregon resorts is lower, but that might be nice for you coming from sea level. Bachelor has a good long vertical - if the top lift is open it's like 3300 feet, similar to most of the summit county resorts.

If you want a long ride from top to bottom, it's hard to beat the Jackson Hole Tram - which gains over 4000 feet in just one ride!

The Aspen resorts also have some big vertical - the snowmass vertical is 4400 feet, but you have to take several lifts to get that in so it's not nearly as exciting as jackson


Every answer I read to this questions has me leading more and more towards Jackson Hole!! Is it pretty much all advanced terrain? Or is it an all around mountain?
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Member
 
shredbetties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyInfamous'Girl View Post
Every answer I read to this questions has me leading more and more towards Jackson Hole!! Is it pretty much all advanced terrain? Or is it an all around mountain?

The terrain isn't all super hardcore, but you'll get bored quickly if you can't handle any advanced stuff. What sort of terrain are you comfortable on?

The map pretty much says it all: http://www.jacksonhole.com/jacksonas...9wintermap.jpg

It's a lot of advanced terrain, but there are some cruiser blues over to the right side of the map. Not the mountain you want to go to if you're mostly wanting to ride cruisey groomed stuff, though! And the green runs are at the base only.

Targhee is much mellower, so if you wanted variety, you could plan to spend a few days there - and enjoy the crazy snow and gorgeous views of the Tetons. Wyoming Winter Vacation Guide :: Grand Targhee Resort


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shredbetties is offline  
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
NyInfamous'Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredbetties View Post
The terrain isn't all super hardcore, but you'll get bored quickly if you can't handle any advanced stuff. What sort of terrain are you comfortable on?

The map pretty much says it all: http://www.jacksonhole.com/jacksonas...9wintermap.jpg

It's a lot of advanced terrain, but there are some cruiser blues over to the right side of the map. Not the mountain you want to go to if you're mostly wanting to ride cruisey groomed stuff, though! And the green runs are at the base only.

Targhee is much mellower, so if you wanted variety, you could plan to spend a few days there - and enjoy the crazy snow and gorgeous views of the Tetons. Wyoming Winter Vacation Guide :: Grand Targhee Resort
I love blues...Im definitely a fan of blacks. But blacks and blues here (out east) are very different compared to out West ones. However...when Im going out West Im not going out there to just cruise on a green, I could do that out here. I am looking for the more challenging stuff...not just the same ol' ridin I could do anyday. I want powder and a place with lots of bowls and all that. Utah was serious when it came to that. But I wanna go somewhere new every year. I was actually just talkin to my BF about Aspen as a matter of fact. The only thing with that...is I hear it can be very pricey. The word Aspen just sounds expenisive lol. How would u compare Colorado and Wyoming riding?
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
NyInfamous'Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Oh and I know i said I wanna try new places, but I mean I have only been to Vail not Aspen though. I just realized I basically contradicted myself there lol
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
NyInfamous'Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
An option you might look into is coming to Mt. Hood around January. You can spend a couple of days at Mt. Hood Meadows, a day at Timberline and a day at Ski Bowl. After that, you can make an overnight trip to Bachelor to ride. If time allows, then go hit up White Pass, Crystal and Baker in Washington. All of this is within 200 miles of Portland which has some great prices on flights in and out of the airport. We don`t have destination resorts like Park City and Vail, but you can get a really good hotel in Portland and be centrally located to hit up a lot of local resorts which all have their own flavor and terrain.

Last year`s winter was really a strange one and Killclimbz`s skunking was a fairly rare event for that time of year. Mt. Hood still fared very well during that event and while Alpental and White Pass were closed to rain, Mt. Hood Meadows had some of it`s best powder days of the season.

Hey I also wanted to ask u...what are the conditions like over at Mt Hood in mid January? Is it like crazy insane powder like Utah or groomed? Is it mostly backcountry or trails? What can you compare it to? What is it like compared to Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Me and my BF are torn between Aspen, Jackson Hole and now Oregon just popped in our minds.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM
NyInfamous'Girl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Wow snowolf! You really give a very informative answer!! Mt. Hood looks great, a lot different then from what I imagined. Thanks for all the great information! Basically, what I am looking for is something totally different then from what I ride out here. I dont wanna travel all the way out West for the same riding I do over here...Mt. hood and Jackson Hole are exactly what I am looking for. A more challenging level. One thats gonna really push me to my limit. I definitely saw Mt. Hood looking very different. Thats something like out of the movies. Wow! Thanks a lot again Snowolf!!
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,164
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
None of the locations in the west are anything like what you ride on the east coast. None of them...

Last edited by killclimbz; 08-12-2009 at 02:20 PM.
killclimbz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome