Too Early To Book Lodging in North Tahoe Over Christmas?
I'm planning on coming out to North Lake Tahoe over Christmas this year and was wondering if I should wait to book lodging. It sounds like snow is hit or miss that time of the year, but I'm afraid that if I wait until the weather is favorable, the rooms will be booked (I'm on a budget).
If you are set on going then, you might as well book your trip. If it is a now or later type of thing, I'd wait until later. Or if you are flying in, book your trip Colorado or Washington. Especially Washington-Oregon right now. They are just getting barfed on and it seems that most places are 100% open...
I'm driving from southern California and aside from Mammoth (incredibly expensive lodging), Tahoe seems to be the closest resort (about 8 hours drive). I called the lodging that I'm going to be staying at and they said they have availability, but will probably fill up quickly with the first snow or at the beginning of December. So it sounds like I have a week to make up my mind. So should I keep an eye on the weather in North Tahoe and book as soon as there's a big snow storm?
Yes, Bishop is cheaper, but for the same price, I can stay at a much nicer place less than a mile from multiple resorts in North Tahoe and pay a lot less for lift tickets. Not to mention avoiding the Mammoth crowds at Christmas. I'm pretty set on North Tahoe, but plan to make a trip to Mammoth next year.