7 Springs vs. Hidden Valley - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 395
Default 7 Springs vs. Hidden Valley

Hey gang. So I saw a couple of thread about people heading to 7 Springs and getting groups together to ride there (or at least get discount tix). I have a friend from the area who used to be a Ski instructor at 7 Springs and a year or two ago quit and is now working at Hidden Valley. He says HV is better but maybe the management at SS screwed him over or something.

Who has ridden at both and can give a good review? I am looking for a weekend trip, not too far off that can work for both me and my wife and son who are beginners. Any comments appreciated.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,303
Default

If you are looking for Nicer Human Resource Managers, then you might lean towards HV. However, if you are looking for 25% more top-to-bottom, 450% more skiable terrain, more park features (does HV even have park?), and an all-around better resort.....go to 7Springs. I never rode HV (though I stayed there one summer weekend), but I learned how to board at 7Springs and Blue Knob (near Altoona). Seven Springs is a solid Western PA resort and has been getting killed with snow over the past few weeks. (Truthfully, so has HV).

7Springs is the solid winner, but if you want to throw some love to the local joint, hit HV for a day and check it out. I would assume their lift lines will be smaller than 7Springs
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
If you are looking for Nicer Human Resource Managers, then you might lean towards HV. However, if you are looking for 25% more top-to-bottom, 450% more skiable terrain, more park features (does HV even have park?), and an all-around better resort.....go to 7Springs. I never rode HV (though I stayed there one summer weekend), but I learned how to board at 7Springs and Blue Knob (near Altoona). Seven Springs is a solid Western PA resort and has been getting killed with snow over the past few weeks. (Truthfully, so has HV).

7Springs is the solid winner, but if you want to throw some love to the local joint, hit HV for a day and check it out. I would assume their lift lines will be smaller than 7Springs
Thanks for the feedback...neither is local for me, I am in State College, so I am just getting some info on the two. I would assume my buddy can get me a deal on lift tickets at HV but my son's board came with a free lift ticket and lesson (thanks Burton) and SS is one of the resorts it is good at....
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
romaniaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 304
Posts: 115
Default

I've never been to HV, but 7springs is an amazing resort. Great service and amazing slopes.
romaniaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasschopper View Post
Thanks for the feedback...neither is local for me, I am in State College, so I am just getting some info on the two. I would assume my buddy can get me a deal on lift tickets at HV but my son's board came with a free lift ticket and lesson (thanks Burton) and SS is one of the resorts it is good at....
State College? Good God, HV is Tussey with more snow. But, since you said about the free ticket....what I was suggesting was hitting both places in one weekend, especially if you have free passes at one or both. Good luck and enjoy!
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 648
Default

7 springs is a lot better than hidden valley. i have been riding 7springs for about teh past 5 years and went to HV when they had a free day last year. the difference was huge.

7springs has much more terrain and vertical drop. it also has 2 highspeed 6 passenger lifts compared to i think 0 at hidden valley. i dont know how there prices compare, but springs is deinitely a better place to ride.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 877
Default

A normal lift ticket at hidden valley will run you $45. If you can get a group of 25 together you can get a 25% discount.
Hidden Valley has a "park". Last time I was there this season it consisted of 3 jumps and a couple of rails...
Not too many people though, so if you hate people that might be something to consider.

(Confused: Are we talking about Hidden Valley near St. Louis, Missouri?)

Last edited by Snowfox; 01-19-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
A normal lift ticket at hidden valley will run you $45. If you can get a group of 25 together you can get a 25% discount.
Hidden Valley has a "park". Last time I was there this season it consisted of 3 jumps and a couple of rails...
Not too many people though, so if you hate people that might be something to consider.

(Confused: Are we talking about Hidden Valley near St. Louis, Missouri?)
No I am talking about Hidden Vally near 7 Springs. LOL

Hidden Valley - Four Seasons Resort
Seven Springs Mountain Resort - 7 Springs

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...h&z=13&iwloc=A

Last edited by Grasschopper; 01-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Big Sky, MT
Posts: 100
Default

I generally hit Hidden Valley on weekdays and Seven Springs on weekends.

With HV, you can't go wrong paying $25 for a day of snowboarding. Plus Yuengling is only $2.50. Crowds are also thinner there, which made it easier for me to learn (more empty space for spectacular wipeouts).

Seven Springs is more expensive, but it's the better resort in general. It has better slopes (love Giant Boulder), more terrain, a bigger, scarier half-pipe, and is more lively.

Last edited by stillz; 01-20-2010 at 12:45 AM.
stillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
RainMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ive been looking in between Peek'n Peak and 7Springs for this weekend, and after deciding where to go, I read this thread, which only made me think my decision was a good one.
Ive been looking at pricing and military discounts and although P&P has 50% off AD military, my wife has to rent her board, and doesnt get any discount which is where the $$ adds up.
At 7Springs they at least have the weekend packages for lift tickets and rentals which brings the price down by about 50$.
When I saw the terrain parks... it was a given that we'd go there...but then I remembered about Yuengling (thanks to the previous post) and that was a done deal. (Im stationed in Guam and havent had it in a LOOONG time)


Any body heading out to 7Springs this weekend? Were coming down from Cleveland


Anybody recommend any place to stay? We'll have 4-5 people

Also.. is renting gear from 7Springs decent or are there stores nearby to rent from that are better???? Everybody in my group but me will be renting. (my board and my wifes board are in Guam, and the other people havent ever snowboard before)
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums