Utah - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:12 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Hey now........and we will ride.....we just wont PAY to ride! lol
Thats what I tell the ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
If it was always ice I would take up a different sport. Once you go pow there is no substitute.
Absolutely agree. I am very very picky about my conditions, now. There are a few really cheap trips that I book, but I only ride when the snow falls. I've gotten soooo snobby about the riding. My new girl is a little confused because I try to keep every winter weekend open so that if a random storm does blow through, i am free to take a last-minute weekend trip to VT.

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Forum Mayor
 
CaptT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UTAH
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It definitely becomes an obsession, you get that little feeling of being weightless and it's all over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
Thats what I tell the ladies!

Usually it's our gender doing the riding....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CaptT; 02-09-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: afterism...
CaptT is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
mdc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
Mineral Basin http://www.snowbird.com/imagelib/tra...ap_mineral.pdf

Bird Maps http://www.snowbird.com/imagelib/tra...p_snowbird.pdf

I'll chime-in until Mag offers his two pennies. I ride the east regularly. I'll be at Blue Mtn, PA on Wednesday and I get to Vermont/NH/UpState NY about 6 times a year. Snowbird and the Catskills (Hunter) are not related in any sense. But, there is a reason you are heading to Utah, right, to get out of the Catskill scene.

When Riding at the Bird look to ride in two particular ares Mineral Basin and the Gad Valley. These are big (wide and doable) open runs that are accessed by the tram. After you get off the tram, walk past the warming hut towards where the other lifts are topping-off. Take that traverse run and Mineral Basin will be on your left. Gad Valley/Little Cloud will be on your Right. Drop into Mineral Basin by using runs like BluebyYou, Lone Star, and Big Dipper. You could even follow the little traverse run of Path to Paradise to Junior's Paradise. Once you got to the bottom of the Basin, catch the Baldy Express and take the greens back down.....they are fun open roller trails. Stay to riders left and you'll have a blast. You'll even get the opportunity to see the fat grumpy big sister of Snowbird.....Alta. Tell we all said to eff-off. Soon you'll be ballsy and start looking for the next best line as you ride the lifts back up. Once you exhaust your interest in Mineral Basin (the lifts back here are high-speed and you can get many runs, quickly) go to the top of the Mineral Basin Express, wander across the other side of the ridge, and drop-in where the double chair (Little CLoud) is unloading people. Runs like Road to Provo, Regulator Johnson, Shireen, and Last Choice are all yummy. Watch-out, there are unexpected chutes and drops here, but you will be able to go to the left or right of them as you approach them. If it looks too nasty, it probably is....look for an easier way down, it won't be hard to find.

These ares are wide open, particularly Mineral Basin. You should do very well in this area. Be careful, there is a tight Chute that runs directly below the Mineral Basin lift, towards the bottom. If you want a comparison, think of Double DIpper/Cascade in Killington only much much wider and much much longer. Also, think of it like this......I'm not sure if you've ever been to Placid, but I be willing to bet you've never been there when the Slides are open! (Me Neither) Think of Utah as the Slides finally being open only a hell of a lot bigger!

Don't Psych yourself out. Go balls out, have a blast, just ride safe and you'll be fine. I assume you have somebody(s) to ride with. I'm jealous, brother....very jealous. You'll come back all snobby about the east coast snow!
Solid advice! Hey, I think I've done everything you said!

I'm still thinking about chasing a storm at the Bird again this year, I'll keep you posted on that!

MDC
mdc is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
 
burritosandsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: slc utah
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The two places Id recommend are the two youve thought of going to Canyons and Brighton. The reason being is because these two places have good terrain for groups with people of varying abilities. Many Brighton runs that are nice wide groomers for your girl will offer lots of natural rollers and jibs along the sides for you. Another good thing about Brighton is that there are many runs where your girl can go down a nice long groomer and the run beside it will be a bit more challenging yet both merge at the bottom to the same lift. The canyons just has ungodly amounts of long groomers that are still fun to ride for all abilities.

I dont really see where you would have trouble riding at Snowbird I just think its a tad harder when you have a varying abilities within a group there. Plus really to get the great benefit of the Bird you want a nice day with lots of new snow so you can enjoy the bowls chutes and many drops.

As far as getting wrapped up in vertical feet I wouldnt be too worried about the numbers. If you take a run at Brighton thats 2k vertical drop yet its half the length of a 2k drop on the east coast then averages hold that the run would be twice as steep. Brighton has steep stuff just not long runs whereas the Canyons has long runs just not tons of super steeps ( unless you hike to it)
burritosandsnow is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Usually it's our gender doing the riding....
Yes, my Dear, yes. That is why I love your gender OHHHH SOOOO MUCH!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Solid advice! Hey, I think I've done everything you said!
I'm still thinking about chasing a storm at the Bird again this year, I'll keep you posted on that!
MDC
I am trying to situate myself to be able to make another 3-day trip out there in April.

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
I dont really see where you would have trouble riding at Snowbird I just think its a tad harder when you have a varying abilities within a group there.
Eh, take the newbies down Cirque Traverse! I'll be doing the same with my girl when I bring her out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
Plus really to get the great benefit of the Bird you want a nice day with lots of new snow so you can enjoy the bowls chutes and many drops.
Absolutely! Bird on a Powder Day!!!! (especially if it is a sketchy powder day where nowhere else gets pow except Bird. If everyone else is getting snow, don't worry about the bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
As far as getting wrapped up in vertical feet I wouldnt be too worried about the numbers. If you take a run at Brighton thats 2k vertical drop yet its half the length of a 2k drop on the east coast then averages hold that the run would be twice as steep. Brighton has steep stuff just not long runs whereas the Canyons has long runs just not tons of super steeps ( unless you hike to it)
Yeah, Killington's 3000 Vert doesn't even compare to Out West. Placid comparing its vert. to Vail's is just a travesty!!!!! Also, when you compare vert, consider acreage. 2000 feet over 1000 Acres is much more different than 3000 feet over 500 acres

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC looking for snow...
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
thanks for the heads up. ok i feel more and more hyped up and more confident.

Ill be there from feb 27- mar 2. If ur going solo then u can join me and my girl. she'll prob be on the greens but i do want to explore the blues and blacks at the bowl.

PM me if ur interested.
I'm currently following the weather reports and if the weather holds and they get a storm I'll definitely hit you up. I wanna use up my annual vacation where there's a lot of pow and I'm afriad of the warming/cooling weather there recently. Well other than the snow the next 4 days...lol
Magnum626 is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
darckeen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Oh pow days at the bird! If you get a nice one here's what i'd do. Morning, just bomb the tram, start with chips and then rotate out the front ridge. Once that gets too tracked out head to the gad lift which is slow but gets nice sun. In the afternoon hit mineral. Imo the bowls aren't worth it on a day with fresh lines abound. Its a long sketchy toe side traverse for a regular foot, save that for the days afterwards when the pow is more scarce. Good luck!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
The two places Id recommend are the two youve thought of going to Canyons and Brighton. The reason being is because these two places have good terrain for groups with people of varying abilities. Many Brighton runs that are nice wide groomers for your girl will offer lots of natural rollers and jibs along the sides for you. Another good thing about Brighton is that there are many runs where your girl can go down a nice long groomer and the run beside it will be a bit more challenging yet both merge at the bottom to the same lift. The canyons just has ungodly amounts of long groomers that are still fun to ride for all abilities.
there is a fight happening now b/w me and my girl...i want to go to brighton, the canyons and snowbird for the 3 days well be there but she says to go only to 2 so ill stick to the original plan and go to brighton so she can enjoy the wide groomers
thanx


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum626 View Post
I'm currently following the weather reports and if the weather holds and they get a storm I'll definitely hit you up. I wanna use up my annual vacation where there's a lot of pow and I'm afriad of the warming/cooling weather there recently. Well other than the snow the next 4 days...lol
Just pull the trigger already

Quote:
Originally Posted by darckeen View Post
Oh pow days at the bird! If you get a nice one here's what i'd do. Morning, just bomb the tram, start with chips and then rotate out the front ridge. Once that gets too tracked out head to the gad lift which is slow but gets nice sun. In the afternoon hit mineral. Imo the bowls aren't worth it on a day with fresh lines abound. Its a long sketchy toe side traverse for a regular foot, save that for the days afterwards when the pow is more scarce. Good luck!

i already have snowbird plans fully disected..im gonna rape the crap out of that hill as well as all the terrain it has to offer...well besides the suicidal cliff jumps of course

Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mr. Polonia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome