South Lake Tahoe/Kirkwood & Chains - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,285
Default South Lake Tahoe/Kirkwood & Chains

So I am looking at coming into SLT next week and I have a rental car waiting for me. Any suggestions of where I can get chains (and price) so I can have them in the car in-case this "Storm" actually rolls in. I know suggestions have been posted before, but I (typical) did not take note of them, then. I'll be coming up from Reno, btw.

Also, any insider suggestions of where to go in the eve/what to do? I've been to Tahoe before, but I spent most of my time driving back and forths to Kirkwood. I'll probably do the same this year, but I'll have the lady with me and it'd be nice to take her out to see a band or something.

Finally,...can anyone comment on whether the shuttle busses from SLT to Kirkwood and/or Squaw are frequently impacted by snow. I'd hate to be all excited to hit Kirkwood only to not have a way to get there. If I can drive, I will (and have), but if I can have a shuttle as an option (especially if I don't end-up with chains) I'd like to utilize the resource.


As always, thanks!
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
So I am looking at coming into SLT next week and I have a rental car waiting for me. Any suggestions of where I can get chains (and price) so I can have them in the car in-case this "Storm" actually rolls in. I know suggestions have been posted before, but I (typical) did not take note of them, then. I'll be coming up from Reno, btw.

Also, any insider suggestions of where to go in the eve/what to do? I've been to Tahoe before, but I spent most of my time driving back and forths to Kirkwood. I'll probably do the same this year, but I'll have the lady with me and it'd be nice to take her out to see a band or something.

Finally,...can anyone comment on whether the shuttle busses from SLT to Kirkwood and/or Squaw are frequently impacted by snow. I'd hate to be all excited to hit Kirkwood only to not have a way to get there. If I can drive, I will (and have), but if I can have a shuttle as an option (especially if I don't end-up with chains) I'd like to utilize the resource.


As always, thanks!

First of all, if you have a rental car, DON'T GET CHAINS. Or at least, check with the rental firm first. We were told that chains are expressly forbidden in your rental agreement, and if they find evidence you've used them (or worse, if they break and damage the car) you're screwed. Liable for the repairs, plus they levy penalties. If you do still want them, they're about $29 just about anywhere (and you can usually return them at the end of your trip). Not hard to find. But it's better to just get a small 4x4 with CalTrans-approved snow tires (which is just about any of them...look for the red dot on the side of the tire).

Is there a huge storm coming? Only route 89 through Emerald Bay will be impacted (to a lesser extent, the Carson Pass to Kirkwood -- it'll get scary, but they don't shut it down as quick as they do 89), which means you'd have to drive up the east side of the lake and over the top. Adds an hour, but it's not horrible. If you're in SLT, I think the ferry runs from Heavenly to Tahoe City every day. That's an option, though I've never done it.

As for stuff to do, since you're in SLT you'll have lots of options. There are lots of casinos, bars and clubs. I personally detest the place...it's a honky-tonk. We always stay in Tahoe City. It's boring, but you're 10-15 minutes from Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Homewood, then Nortstar a bit farther up, and easy access to Sugarbowl. Lots more riding very close by. SLT only has Heavenly, which basically blows for snowboarding.

Last edited by surfinsnow; 03-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,285
Default

Thanks for the response. I know the SLT honky-tonk feel you reference. I guess I was wondering if there was a go-to place that is more laid-back and less touristy that we could crash. I don't want to jinx the potential storm, so I won't talk about it. As for chains, thanks for the heads-up, I'll see what I can work-out with 4wd once we get there.
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
crsv619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 96
Default

oh wow.. new snow this week? i'm flying in to tahoe for the first time this weekend. can't wait!

and thanks for the heads up on no chains on rentals. definitely good to know.
crsv619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Snowman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 61
Default

i dont think youre gonna need chains unless youre there on wednesday this week. i drive there all the time with two wheel drive and am always ok
Snowman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,285
Default

Well I may be coming in right at the peak of the storm, so we'll see. I foresee me taking a shuttle to Kirkwood for riding. A 15$ ride is worth the 2 hours of sleep that I could get. Lets just get to the hill and hope for snow all week!
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,758
Default

It does look like the nukes could go off there. Hopefully you slide into town just before it hits. My guess is a lot of the highways are going to be closed for a bit. Should be epic.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,477
Default

I was there yesterday with the kids..still amazingly good base, especially in the back side. The wind pushing the snow around still makes for some "pow like" runs....
GOing back Wednesday for another taste of good pow..alone this time...

Have fun!


Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
It does look like the nukes could go off there. Hopefully you slide into town just before it hits. My guess is a lot of the highways are going to be closed for a bit. Should be epic.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,758
Default

Saw on the news this morning that most (according to the news, not me..) of the ski areas have had to close their operations because of the ferocity of this storm. When they do reopen conditions should be epic.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Saw on the news this morning that most (according to the news, not me..) of the ski areas have had to close their operations because of the ferocity of this storm. When they do reopen conditions should be epic.
Shit! Meanwhile, back east, they're closing mountains left and right because of rain and warm temps. I think it's just about over out here. At least I got in a couple of great days at Kirkwood this season!
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums