Kirkwood advice - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
Awesome everyone!! I took notes of all the chairs I should be taking. I am also considering taking a lesson, they have lessons for $59 which includes all mountain lift ticket, maybe the instructor can help me get over the fear for steeps!! I only want to do 1 or 2 hr lesson so i will have time to explore the mountain.

Reason why I'm worried is because EVERYONE says the blue runs at northstar is overrated, and it's flatstar not northstar, blah blah blah... well, i didn't think so, i love northstar, i was able to cruise down from the top all the way down to the village, really long, fairly wide, groomed runs, but dodging people especially towards the beginner areas is dangerous..

I look forward to Kirkwood!
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't find Northstar riding that horrible (only been there once in four trips to Tahoe). The blacks over on the Lookout Mt side were some of the funnest we had...but then, we had awesome fresh snow. We did spend most of our time doing the blacks, because the blues got boring pretty quick. My bigger problem with Northstar is the resort itself; too resorty. Like a mall with a ski slope. No close parking. But the women always seem to dig it because of all that stuff.

Kirkwood is one of the best places on earth, IMHO. If you want to cruise you'll have plenty to do, and when you're ready to challenge yourself...well, there's noplace better. Have fun!
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 164
Default

hahhaha. I dig it because I'm a girl!! Being a beginner, I thoroughly enjoyed N*! Being able to enjoy most of the mountain, going to the top and getting down (on the front side) is quite satisfying!! I'm very open to try different terrains, and to be aware of my ability so that I'm not a danger to myself or others.

I want to take a lesson at Kirkwood since I haven't gotten a lesson beyond the beginner newbie one.
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Default

time to resurrect this thread


so what is the easiest blue at Kirkwood? im a beginner and only 2nd day on the snow, i managed to pick it up pretty quickly, i was linking turns shortly after my beginner lesson

the two green trails (#9) on the learning center became too easy for me, i tried TC express (#7) but it was still tough for me, did i just went on the wrong trail? (it was on the right side when i get off the lift)
beastboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,285
Default

If you've conquered the Bunny, I'd suggest wandering up to the main mountain village and riding the Snowkirk lift (Chair 1). There is a lot more activity on that side of the mountain. Plus, riding the greens over there will double your time on the snow, rather than short run/short lift, repeat.

If you get ambitions (and I suggest you do) ride down to chair 2 (Caples Crest) and take it to the top. The views are incredible and will give you a sense of WOW that comes free with this sport. They are all blue runs to get back down to the Crest Chair (from which you can pick-up the Snowkirk greens. Juniper is the easier of the blue runs. Just take it slow, and once you get to the slightly steeper parts of the trail, just go nice and slow...you'll be fine. It'll be best to do this mid-afternoon, after the sun hits it and softens up the snow a bit.
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
If you've conquered the Bunny, I'd suggest wandering up to the main mountain village and riding the Snowkirk lift (Chair 1). There is a lot more activity on that side of the mountain. Plus, riding the greens over there will double your time on the snow, rather than short run/short lift, repeat.

If you get ambitions (and I suggest you do) ride down to chair 2 (Caples Crest) and take it to the top. The views are incredible and will give you a sense of WOW that comes free with this sport. They are all blue runs to get back down to the Crest Chair (from which you can pick-up the Snowkirk greens. Juniper is the easier of the blue runs. Just take it slow, and once you get to the slightly steeper parts of the trail, just go nice and slow...you'll be fine. It'll be best to do this mid-afternoon, after the sun hits it and softens up the snow a bit.
thanks buddy, defintely going to check out snowkirk next time im there, and try caples crest

and yep, i was spending more time on the lift then i actually boarded at the bunny lol
beastboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboarder View Post
time to resurrect this thread


so what is the easiest blue at Kirkwood? im a beginner and only 2nd day on the snow, i managed to pick it up pretty quickly, i was linking turns shortly after my beginner lesson

the two green trails (#9) on the learning center became too easy for me, i tried TC express (#7) but it was still tough for me, did i just went on the wrong trail? (it was on the right side when i get off the lift)
Chair 7 is one of the two express chairs at Kirkwood so I would stick with it if the lift line is not too long. There are two trails on rider's left. one of them is roped out for park now. These are the easiest. Next will be the run under the chair. There are two runs on rider's right, the left one is hardest. Chair 1 and 2 have some common problems. They are slow lifts. Right now, there is an uphill section when you return to chair 2. You may need to be on foot to get back to the lift if you don't keep your speed to overcome the uphill section. Chair 1 is better but it has a long flat back to the lift.

If you want to go to chair 1 and feel blue is still too hard for you. Take the shuttle.
hellside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellside View Post
Chair 7 is one of the two express chairs at Kirkwood so I would stick with it if the lift line is not too long. There are two trails on rider's left. one of them is roped out for park now. These are the easiest. Next will be the run under the chair. There are two runs on rider's right, the left one is hardest. Chair 1 and 2 have some common problems. They are slow lifts. Right now, there is an uphill section when you return to chair 2. You may need to be on foot to get back to the lift if you don't keep your speed to overcome the uphill section. Chair 1 is better but it has a long flat back to the lift.

If you want to go to chair 1 and feel blue is still too hard for you. Take the shuttle.

thanks hellside, i thought chair #1 is still a green run or is it really more of a blue?
beastboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboarder View Post
thanks hellside, i thought chair #1 is still a green run or is it really more of a blue?
it is green but it is a slow lift and there is a long flat to go back to the lift which may stall you. You will see what I mean when you go there. I am not suggesting not to go there. For practice, chair 7 is better choice. Chair 7 also has a couple of small gullies or ditches and trees that could be fun
hellside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboarder View Post
time to resurrect this thread


so what is the easiest blue at Kirkwood? im a beginner and only 2nd day on the snow, i managed to pick it up pretty quickly, i was linking turns shortly after my beginner lesson

the two green trails (#9) on the learning center became too easy for me, i tried TC express (#7) but it was still tough for me, did i just went on the wrong trail? (it was on the right side when i get off the lift)

Lets'see:

You get there early (8ish) and park under chair 6 for fast access to your car. Get your warm up on chair 5 going skier's right, easier run, then skier's left for your second warm up. Enjoy the XC runs dand the jumps if you like, and cut ski right to chair 11, unless you feel ready for a steeper section on chair 6. Get a couple of runs there, maybe explore the "reut" under chair 11, take a break on chair 1 ( super bunny ) and venture to chair 2. Still very easy. Get the view from the top and rid down the other way to chair 3. Still very easy. Now that you're really warmed up and the line is getting a few people deep head to chair 4 ( sunrise) and enjoy the open bowl of the backside. You can't go wrong there. Wide open groomers with plenty of sidecountry to enjoy. Stay on the trail or cut trough the woods. The grade is always mellow. Once you got enough of the runs we can start talking about the bowls and the palisades. Steeper and trickier terrain. The wall, Norm's nose, the chutes and the lip of the wave
Enjoy!
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
Lets'see:

You get there early (8ish) and park under chair 6 for fast access to your car. Get your warm up on chair 5 going skier's right, easier run, then skier's left for your second warm up. Enjoy the XC runs dand the jumps if you like, and cut ski right to chair 11, unless you feel ready for a steeper section on chair 6. Get a couple of runs there, maybe explore the "reut" under chair 11, take a break on chair 1 ( super bunny ) and venture to chair 2. Still very easy. Get the view from the top and rid down the other way to chair 3. Still very easy. Now that you're really warmed up and the line is getting a few people deep head to chair 4 ( sunrise) and enjoy the open bowl of the backside. You can't go wrong there. Wide open groomers with plenty of sidecountry to enjoy. Stay on the trail or cut trough the woods. The grade is always mellow. Once you got enough of the runs we can start talking about the bowls and the palisades. Steeper and trickier terrain. The wall, Norm's nose, the chutes and the lip of the wave
Enjoy!
beastboarder says chair 7 is still too tough for him.
hellside is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums