Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   General Travel Forum (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/general-travel-forum/)
-   -   Another Utah trip thread. (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/general-travel-forum/46145-another-utah-trip-thread.html)

mrmidWest 01-30-2012 07:39 PM

Another Utah trip thread.
 
Ill be heading out to utah on feb28 for about 5 days and ill meeting up with and staying with my dad and his friends. They like deer valley, and are spending 2 of the 5 days there. I know my dad really likes that canyons, but has agreed to ditch deer valley with me and spend those 2 days somewhere else. Ive heard that the park city resorts get less snow, and I know its hard to judge what kind of snow will have fallen by then, but for those 2 days, best all around place to ride would be....? I like everything, but id rather not do any park riding, as thats pretty much all i get to do at my local mountain. Thanks!

bebop_monk 01-30-2012 09:11 PM

Snowbird and Brighton would be the two that I'd hit up.

philadendron 01-30-2012 11:48 PM

Just went this past weekend and hit Snowbasin. If you like steep, untracked powder, go there. So much terrain that isn't touched. Huge, wide open faces. Super long groomers, as well, off the Strawberry lift. Seriously, I had a 3.5 mile run. Snowbasin is about equidistant from downtown SLC as the Cottonwood resorts are, and easier to drive to. Brighton is awesome for tree riding, but I prefer Solitude. Challenging blue runs, quality runs off of all the lifts, and even a sidecountry area (Honeycomb Canyon) make it awesome. Talked to several people about Snowbird and they all said the crowds can be rough on a weekend, so we avoided it this time. Still, it's a "bucket list" resort and sounds great.

You pretty much can't go wrong with SLC, but you're right about Park City, not as much snow as the Cottonwood resorts. Thing is, you're going at the end of February. By that time, there should be a lot more snow so just monitor base levels.

snowvols 01-31-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadendron (Post 476221)
Just went this past weekend and hit Snowbasin. If you like steep, untracked powder, go there.

It snowed Friday which is maybe why you were able to find something untouched but it wouldn't be entire runs or large areas untouched. At least in my book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadendron (Post 476221)
Snowbasin is about equidistant from downtown SLC as the Cottonwood resorts are, and easier to drive to.

This is wrong as well. Cottonwood resorts are much closer to SLC than basin.

bakuhar 01-31-2012 12:49 PM

If you consider going to basin just drive the extra 15 minutes to Powder Mtn. Dunno why basin gets recommended over Powder.

philadendron 01-31-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowvols (Post 476384)
It snowed Friday which is maybe why you were able to find something untouched but it wouldn't be entire runs or large areas untouched. At least in my book.



This is wrong as well. Cottonwood resorts are much closer to SLC than basin.

Took me 45-60 minutes to drive from the Sheraton in downtown to Snowbasin. The next day, it took me 45-60 minutes to drive from the Sheraton in downtown to Solitude in Big Cottonwood. Obviously, if you were planning on going to LCC/BCC, you'd stay closer, but I Hotwired and it was pretty equidistant.

philadendron 01-31-2012 01:07 PM

Ok, just google mapped it, it's 45 vs. 57 minutes. So it's a little longer to Snowbasin. Also, of course there won't be whole mountains untracked hardly anywhere, but at Snowbasin at least half of the nice, open faces they have there had plenty of opportunities for fresh lines. At Solitude the next day, the only places that had opportunities for fresh lines were off of Summit and in Honeycomb.

Also, I'm only recommending Snowbasin over Powder Mountain because I've never been to Powder Mountain. Everyone that has, though, has great things to say.

hikeswithdogs 01-31-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadendron (Post 476580)
Took me 45-60 minutes to drive from the Sheraton in downtown to Snowbasin. The next day, it took me 45-60 minutes to drive from the Sheraton in downtown to Solitude in Big Cottonwood. Obviously, if you were planning on going to LCC/BCC, you'd stay closer, but I Hotwired and it was pretty equidistant.

Snowbasin and PowMow will always have fresher runs(lower altitude too), hell I've gotten fresh tracks at 4pm on a Saturday at PowMow

bakuhar 01-31-2012 01:19 PM

I've rode every resort in Utah (except PCMR) and I'll recommend PowMow first to anyone coming here. Call it bias since its close for me, but nothing gets close to Powder Country (when its open).

hikeswithdogs 01-31-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakuhar (Post 476597)
I've rode every resort in Utah (except PCMR) and I'll recommend PowMow first to anyone coming here. Call it bias since its close for me, but nothing gets close to Powder Country (when its open).

I second this LOVE POWDER COUNTRY , lightning ridge is pretty cook too!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2