Jackson Hole - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Default

I don't know about flat tracks. That mountain is amazing. Some of toughest terrain I have ever been on. And gorgeous. We went 7 months ago at the beginning of march and it snowed the entire time I was there and had a blast. Went with a couple semi pros and acouple complete beginners and we all had a great trip. We had fresh tracks every day. I have done Breck, whistler, Vail, squaw valley, heavenly, and Jackson most recently and Jackson was just as good conditions as any of those . Better snow than some of them
jbernste03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
LuckyRVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstboy View Post
Seems like we got the same Ideas, my choices were Whitefish or Jackson Hole for my Feb. trip. I have never been but a friend went and didn't like it because there were a lot of tracks and flat areas and a little more skier friendly? Maybe they just didn't go down the right runs to avoid all that. Post up videos of you dropping in on Corbet's Couloir when you get back though.
Of all the reviews I've read about Jackson I haven't seen anything complaining about it having lots of flats. The opposite actually.
As an aside I went to Whitefish last March and had a blast. Loved riding in the trees there. The locals were awesome as well. Only thing I have to complain about was the fog. It was foggy 3 out of the 7 days I was there. My last day we had to cut short because no one could see their hand in front of their face.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Listheeb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 232
Default

I've been to JHMR in each of the past three years, and there's really not a lot to complain about. The terrain is very diverse and it's pretty easy to get from one side to the other, especially with the new Marmot chair they added last winter. The one thing I will say is that if you ride regular and you aren't comfortable riding switch, the mountain naturally funnels from right to left, so the 10 minute heel-side traverses can really burn the legs!

The START bus runs about every 15 minutes to Teton Village. It's $3 each way, and many of the hotels sell tickets so you don't have to worry about having $1 bills on you, so stop into one near your timeshare and ask. Within town, the shuttle is free. As for food and nightlife, the Silver Dollar Bar at the Wort hotel and Sidewinders (sports bar) are solid choices. Mangy is great for après, but it fills up really quickly.

There are a ton of options for great terrain; too many to list. But if the headwall is open, the hike up Pepi's Bench is worth it. If you get a powder day, the lines for the Tram and Gondy will be huge, so hit Après Vous to warm up the legs for a few runs and wait for the lines to subside. There will be plenty of first tracks left for you when you get to them...
Listheeb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
LuckyRVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,653
Default

Awesome, thanks for the tips
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
Can any locals or anyone familiar with JHMR give me some tips. Any hidden gems on and off the mountain? Good powder stashes or cheap but good eats?
Cheap eats are going to be an issue in the village. Burgers at the Moose are reasonably priced for a resort, but you're still going to drop $10+ on lunch on the mountain.

As for powder stashes, I have not usually had a problem finding something if it has snowed the the past 24 hours. Barring that, your best bet for finding lightly ridden terrain is to hike up to (or past) Headwall. Most people don't bother venturing up there. Be warned, though... if you are an out of shape sea-level dweller then the hike will take you 20+ minutes. Most locals hike up it in like 15 min (or less if they are kids!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
Thanks for the heads up. When you were there last year did you stay in the village or in Jackson?
I have stayed both in town (Snow King) and at the Teton Village. The Village is much more convenient for riding, but less so if you have to get in and out of town a lot (for going out to dinner or to the supermarket, etc).

Quote:
I'll be staying in Jackson, I imagine there's a shuttle from Jackson to the mtn hourly?
The morning shuttles run a little more often than that, but they can be a bit of a pain when you are sitting or standing on one for 30+ minutes with all of your gear, making a dozen stops to pick people up. If you are taking the shuttle to the mountain, then catch the first one that you can in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
I had heard that when storm rolls through that Targhee tends to get more snow. So, I definitely planning on hitting it up at least once.
Only been to Targhee once. It does get nicer snow, but the day I went was windy as heck. Traveling there and back will consume your entire day (especially if you have to take the shuttle back into town). Nothing wrong with the Targhee except the winding route you have to take to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
My family is using our timeshare there this year. So, unfortuently we're stuck for the week that we have. I wished it was later bit later. But, I can't complain too much it's still Jackson Hole and worlds better than what I have access to locally. I'm hoping/praying for a better year all around the US this year. I have positive feelings about this season.
Town is interesting enough. If you do a half day during the week then you can check out the gear swap (by the K-mart), do a super-cheap day of riding at the Snow King, or check out the very very yummy bakeries around town.
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
LuckyRVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
As for powder stashes, I have not usually had a problem finding something if it has snowed the the past 24 hours. Barring that, your best bet for finding lightly ridden terrain is to hike up to (or past) Headwall. Most people don't bother venturing up there. Be warned, though... if you are an out of shape sea-level dweller then the hike will take you 20+ minutes. Most locals hike up it in like 15 min (or less if they are kids!)
Being a gym/fitness rat, I'm in good shape. However, I'm not used to the elevation. I'll try to make this hike after acclimating a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
The morning shuttles run a little more often than that, but they can be a bit of a pain when you are sitting or standing on one for 30+ minutes with all of your gear, making a dozen stops to pick people up. If you are taking the shuttle to the mountain, then catch the first one that you can in the morning.
We are renting a car as well. Sounds like it might just be easier to drive up in the morning rather than stand on the shuttle for 30 mins at a time. I get enough of that bullshit riding the train everyday to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Only been to Targhee once. It does get nicer snow, but the day I went was windy as heck. Traveling there and back will consume your entire day (especially if you have to take the shuttle back into town). Nothing wrong with the Targhee except the winding route you have to take to get to it.
I feel like since I'm there I need to hit Taghee up at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Town is interesting enough. If you do a half day during the week then you can check out the gear swap (by the K-mart), do a super-cheap day of riding at the Snow King, or check out the very very yummy bakeries around town.
Thanks for the tips man
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Default

i would stay in the village if possible..like noted above.. its makes your mornings much easier..Ive had this debate at every ski resort ive stayed at..to stay as close to the mountain as possible or as close to town/nightlife/restauraunts as possible.. every single time we have come to the same conclusion.. my philosophy is that Id rather be able to hop out my door and jump on a lift or do a very short walk to the lift. Id much rather ride the bus in my normal clothes to town rather than all my gear. 90% of my time on trips is on the mountain so thats where i want to be close to. the only time i went into jackson was at night for dinner/drinks ..we stayed almost slopeside for very cheap ..i think it was about $380 and that included the condo and 3 days of riding..just my 2 cents
jbernste03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
Being a gym/fitness rat, I'm in good shape. However, I'm not used to the elevation. I'll try to make this hike after acclimating a bit.
True acclimatization to a higher altitude only happens after a few months. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is interval training or cardio that builds up your wind and lowers your resting heart rate.

Lots of swimming or long distance running.

Quote:
We are renting a car as well. Sounds like it might just be easier to drive up in the morning rather than stand on the shuttle for 30 mins at a time. I get enough of that bullshit riding the train everyday to work.
You will probably still end up taking the START Bus in. Jackson is a ski where you really do not really need a car. The (extremely) rich folks who run things in Jackson do what they can to discourage skiers from driving in everyday to ride the mountain. There is a pay-to-park lot close to the base of the mountain, but there is a free-to-park satellite lot just a few miles down the road.

All of the START Buses on their way into the village and on their way back into town stop there. If you already have a car, I would drive to the lot, park there and just deal with the 7 minute, free bus ride to the resort.


Quote:
I feel like since I'm there I need to hit Taghee up at least once.
Bring a book or magazine for the ride home. Don't forget to take a picture of the 3rd largest potato in the world in Driggs :-)



Thanks for the tips man [/QUOTE]
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
LuckyRVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernste03 View Post
i would stay in the village if possible..like noted above.. its makes your mornings much easier..Ive had this debate at every ski resort ive stayed at..to stay as close to the mountain as possible or as close to town/nightlife/restauraunts as possible.. every single time we have come to the same conclusion.. my philosophy is that Id rather be able to hop out my door and jump on a lift or do a very short walk to the lift. Id much rather ride the bus in my normal clothes to town rather than all my gear. 90% of my time on trips is on the mountain so thats where i want to be close to. the only time i went into jackson was at night for dinner/drinks ..we stayed almost slopeside for very cheap ..i think it was about $380 and that included the condo and 3 days of riding..just my 2 cents
I wish that were possible. Unfortunately, as we're using our timeshare we take what we can get with regard to the properties location. I do agree about having access to the lifts since first thing after breakfast I'll be hitting the mountain until the lift stop running. Nightlife is secondary.
We will have a rental car so I think I'm going to skip the shuttle most days and take the car with the family or have them drop me off.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
BoardWalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post


I feel like since I'm there I need to hit Taghee up at least once.
Yes, as long as you're there you need to hit the ghee.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums