What ski resort in lake tahoe - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What ski resort in lake tahoe

I am going up to lake tahoe this winter around christmas and was wondering which resort would be the best to go to. I know then will all be crowded so I'm just looking for a resort that has some of everything, good terrain park, jumps, and good runs for carving. Tell me a good mountain that I can test my new rome reverb rocker on.
EatMyTracers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A while back when i skied i went to Heavenly Mountain. I remember it being a fun mountain. There is this one trail where you can have one half of you in California while the other half was in Nevada.Being like 9 i thought it was the greatest thing. I was not into parks then, but looking at the website it looks like there are some pretty great jumps and rails.
StrattonRider is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say squaw or alpine on the north shore, or if your going south shore hit up kirkwood or Sierra.
kctahoe is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Never been to Kirkwood, but others rave about it.

Sierra is fun. Not as gnarly as the other resorts perhaps.

Squaw and Alpine are both great. Passes work at either too.
jdang307 is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctahoe View Post
I say squaw or alpine on the north shore, or if your going south shore hit up kirkwood or Sierra.
I'll be there for the first time at the same time. I heard Kirkwood gets the most snow out of all the places but is farthest away from Tahoe? For steeps would you say squaw has the best blacks and double blacks?
gstboy is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstboy View Post
I'll be there for the first time at the same time. I heard Kirkwood gets the most snow out of all the places but is farthest away from Tahoe? For steeps would you say squaw has the best blacks and double blacks?
Do you know where you're staying? That will usually dictate where you board.

It's roughly an hour north to south, in good weather.
jdang307 is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Skinny Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heavenly is dope, really big, LOTS of tree options...park was closed when I went cuz they got dumped on but what I could see looked great. Super close to south lake hotels too, can hop on a shuttle.

Sierra is really legit too, not as many tree options as Heavenly but very good lines back there/natural jumps when theres enough snow. Parks should be good, they do a decent amount of filming there. Can get a shuttle here but I would advise against because you will wanna go earlier.

I was pumped for Kirkwood but got turned away because half our crew slept in too late so make sure you get there early! And yes if your staying in south lake Kirkwood is a decent amount farther than the above 2, dont think there is a shuttle to the wood either.

Last place I hit was a little mt. called Diamond Peak, very small. Only reason we went because it was close to the airport on our last day. Very few runs but sick views and while the park only had like 5 rails/boxes they did have two 40-50ft jumps that were nice.

I hear Northstar has a real sick park
Skinny Bam is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,239
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Kirkwood gets the most snow fall in the region, in addition to be a pretty kick ass resort. The holidays overall is not a great time conditions wise for California resorts. Though it varies by season. Sometimes you get lucky and it just nukes around that time, other times you are lucky if the white ribbon of death is covered top to bottom.
killclimbz is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstboy View Post
I'll be there for the first time at the same time. I heard Kirkwood gets the most snow out of all the places but is farthest away from Tahoe? For steeps would you say squaw has the best blacks and double blacks?
Depending on where your staying, yeah I would go to squaw for the steeper more advanced terrain. Kirkwood usually gets the most snow in the area, but alpine wich is close to squaw also seems to get a lot of snow.
kctahoe is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
Heavenly is dope, really big, LOTS of tree options...park was closed when I went cuz they got dumped on but what I could see looked great. Super close to south lake hotels too, can hop on a shuttle.

Sierra is really legit too, not as many tree options as Heavenly but very good lines back there/natural jumps when theres enough snow. Parks should be good, they do a decent amount of filming there. Can get a shuttle here but I would advise against because you will wanna go earlier.

I was pumped for Kirkwood but got turned away because half our crew slept in too late so make sure you get there early! And yes if your staying in south lake Kirkwood is a decent amount farther than the above 2, dont think there is a shuttle to the wood either.

Last place I hit was a little mt. called Diamond Peak, very small. Only reason we went because it was close to the airport on our last day. Very few runs but sick views and while the park only had like 5 rails/boxes they did have two 40-50ft jumps that were nice.

I hear Northstar has a real sick park

Just found out we are staying at the embassy suites at the base of Heavenly so looks like I'll be boarding there. Sounds like fun, is squaw pretty close by?
gstboy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome