Going to Tahoe, Pointers? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Skinny Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 293
Default

Plan on going sometime between late Feb. and early March and just watch the weather. I went for a week on presidents day a couple years ago and got sooo lucky with the conditions. Literally snowed at least 30" almost every night after we got there....powder was so ridiculous the parks at both Heavenly and Sierra weren't open. Not that I cared too much as I def got some of the best tree runs in ever at both places.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
Plan on going sometime between late Feb. and early March and just watch the weather. I went for a week on presidents day a couple years ago and got sooo lucky with the conditions. Literally snowed at least 30" almost every night after we got there....powder was so ridiculous the parks at both Heavenly and Sierra weren't open. Not that I cared too much as I def got some of the best tree runs in ever at both places.
I think I was there that year, the last two weeks of Feb two years ago, starting President's Day week. It snowed for four days...never seen anything like it! I literally didn't know how to ride it. We stayed in Tahoe City, so Homewood was the easiest place to get to, and mid-week was sweet. Super quiet. But, man! That snow was fcuking crazy! So deep, I didn't know what to do with it! I've never ridden where you didn't even have to turn...just lean way back and go for it. Homewood glades were insane with that deep pow! Probably won't make it back this year...had foot surgery for a torn tendon last season. Still recovering. Very sad!

Last edited by surfinsnow; 11-08-2012 at 01:25 PM.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Skinny Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
I think I was there that year, the last two weeks of Feb two years ago, starting President's Day week. It snowed for four days...never seen anything like it! I literally didn't know how to ride it. We stayed in Tahoe City, so Homewood was the easiest place to get to, and mid-week was sweet. Super quiet. But, man! That snow was fcuking crazy! So deep, I didn't know what to do with it! I've never ridden where you didn't even have to turn...just lean way back and go for it. Homewood glades were insane with that deep pow! Probably won't make it back this year...had foot surgery for a torn tendon last season. Still recovering. Very sad!
Yeppp thats when it was. Shit was crazy. My buddy who I was riding with had never rode in real powder so he had a tough time following me through the trees but he started to catch on pretty quick. Not gonna lie I was a little bummed the parks were closed even though there was so much fresh...coming from AZ I dont get a lot of 35+ foot jumps. Pretty funny to see faces of the staff when I asked when they were opening the park when it was some of the best pow days of the year

Luckily my last day we hit Diamond Peak which although very small did have 2 nice size jumps and park that was open. Looking forward to making a trip again this year since i got the Epic.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,791
Default

Sierra is a nice, kind of out of the way place. It's not the shitshow Northstar is, with crowds.

That said Northstar was fun. Not challenging terrain but I don't always need that.

If you can make it to Squaw and Alpine those two are great
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
Yeppp thats when it was. Shit was crazy. My buddy who I was riding with had never rode in real powder so he had a tough time following me through the trees but he started to catch on pretty quick. Not gonna lie I was a little bummed the parks were closed even though there was so much fresh...coming from AZ I dont get a lot of 35+ foot jumps. Pretty funny to see faces of the staff when I asked when they were opening the park when it was some of the best pow days of the year

Luckily my last day we hit Diamond Peak which although very small did have 2 nice size jumps and park that was open. Looking forward to making a trip again this year since i got the Epic.
Diamond Peak is cute! We went only because I was doing a business call on the Marketing Dept, and they comped me after our meeting. Still only stayed for a couple of hours. It is BEAUTIFUL, but gets boring really fast. Still, we had deep pow, and I went down one of their little blacks and triggered a mini-avalanche! At Diamond Peak, of all places! Slide halfway down the mountain upside down and head first. Glad it was there, and not Kirkwood!
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
Diamond Peak is cute! We went only because I was doing a business call on the Marketing Dept, and they comped me after our meeting. Still only stayed for a couple of hours. It is BEAUTIFUL, but gets boring really fast. Still, we had deep pow, and I went down one of their little blacks and triggered a mini-avalanche! At Diamond Peak, of all places! Slide halfway down the mountain upside down and head first. Glad it was there, and not Kirkwood!
Ha! You forgot the first rule about avalanches. "If it's steep enough to ride, it's steep enough to slide". Though experiencing one in bounds is pretty rare it does happen. I got slid on the Quail Face at Homewood in 92.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Sierra is a nice, kind of out of the way place. It's not the shitshow Northstar is, with crowds.

That said Northstar was fun. Not challenging terrain but I don't always need that.

If you can make it to Squaw and Alpine those two are great
I think Homewood, Alpine and Squaw tix are all interchangeable now. Homewood owns Alpine. That's why I like staying in North Lake (that, and the fact that a family friend owns the house and rents it to us for practically nothing). North Lake is the perfect location! It's a long way to Kirkwood, though, especially if the pass through E bay is closed. The days we go to K'wood we usually stay at the Lakeside Inn in SLT. Cheap digs, very snowboarder friendly, all-night Casino and Mexican food joint, cheap lift tix at the concierge desk, and it puts you 45 minutes closer to Kirkwood. I love the Lakeside! Great little dive!

Last edited by surfinsnow; 11-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,465
Default

Depends!

2 seasons ago Kirkwood opened the 20th November with 5 feet of fresh, last season we had none until March....hoping for a November opening again!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8_choco21 View Post
So I'm going to Sierra-at-Tahoe this November, the week after thanksgiving. I have only ever been to Bear and Mt. High so I figure I'm in for a nice surprise, but is this a good time to go?

I believe we are going to do two trips there, one early season, and one after Christmas because we can't go during holiday season because the passes we are using are the ones that are included in the Mt. High season pass.

So i guess my question is, is the that going to be still a good time to go or should I find other non-holiday dates to go?

Also what are a few good non-boarding things to hit up for a 19 year old kid?

Any suggestions are helpful thanks guys!
__________________
2013/14 -7- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Ha! You forgot the first rule about avalanches. "If it's steep enough to ride, it's steep enough to slide". Though experiencing one in bounds is pretty rare it does happen. I got slid on the Quail Face at Homewood in 92.
Yeah...but it was only Diamond Peak! I was pretty amazed to feel the whole mountain slide out from underneath me! It was a nice day, sunny and in the 40's, so I was just wearing a hoodie. Was pretty wet and snow-filled by the time the slide stopped!

Quail Face is fun! That's the pic on my avatar, at the 55.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,667
Default

Scary how powerful moving snow is ain't it?

Didn't even recognize your avatar was from that spot. Very nice.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums