Going to Tahoe, Pointers? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
sk8_choco21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal, CA , Mt. High
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Going to Tahoe, Pointers?

So I'm going to Sierra-at-Tahoe this November, the week after thanksgiving. I have only ever been to Bear and Mt. High so I figure I'm in for a nice surprise, but is this a good time to go?

I believe we are going to do two trips there, one early season, and one after Christmas because we can't go during holiday season because the passes we are using are the ones that are included in the Mt. High season pass.

So i guess my question is, is the that going to be still a good time to go or should I find other non-holiday dates to go?

Also what are a few good non-boarding things to hit up for a 19 year old kid?

Any suggestions are helpful thanks guys!
sk8_choco21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you can I would defenetly wait till after Christmas for both of your trips. I may be wrong but i don't think sierra makes any snow, so if we don't get much snow they won't have much if anything open. I wanna say sierra didn't even open till early december last year.
kctahoe is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
sk8_choco21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal, CA , Mt. High
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh wow... thats a downer thanks for the advice man!
sk8_choco21 is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are your passes limited to Sierra only? If not id say plan a trip to northstar they have great snowmaking, great park, but the terrain is blah, but if there isn't much snow that doesn't matter much
kctahoe is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
sk8_choco21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal, CA , Mt. High
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctahoe View Post
Are your passes limited to Sierra only? If not id say plan a trip to northstar they have great snowmaking, great park, but the terrain is blah, but if there isn't much snow that doesn't matter much
Yeah actually it is but whatever i guess Mt High will have to do till december... how do you like Sierra though? Is it as good as people say?
sk8_choco21 is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like it a lot, good park, i loved it on pow days, not quit as big as some of the other resorts but still plenty big enough. I used to go there a lot back when you could buy the double whammy pass with north star and sierra.
kctahoe is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
sk8_choco21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal, CA , Mt. High
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctahoe View Post
I like it a lot, good park, i loved it on pow days, not quit as big as some of the other resorts but still plenty big enough. I used to go there a lot back when you could buy the double whammy pass with north star and sierra.
Dude thats like the pass of all passes haha but cool, im more park oriented anyways so im sure ill be stoked on it.
sk8_choco21 is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
abngirly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Lake Tahoe/Coloma, CA
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work at Sierra and it's a super fun mountain, but KC is right they don't blow their own snow so they depend on mother nature to open. Luckily, the snow from the other week looks like it's still holding and there may be some more on the way. If we do get some weather I'd say there's a chance we could be open around thanksgiving. I think your best bet is to just stay flexible and see what the weather does. Otherwise I'd even recommend just saving your tickets until after Christmas, it'll be worth the wait!
abngirly is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abngirly View Post
I work at Sierra and it's a super fun mountain, but KC is right they don't blow their own snow so they depend on mother nature to open. Luckily, the snow from the other week looks like it's still holding and there may be some more on the way. If we do get some weather I'd say there's a chance we could be open around thanksgiving. I think your best bet is to just stay flexible and see what the weather does. Otherwise I'd even recommend just saving your tickets until after Christmas, it'll be worth the wait!
This girl knows her shiz. It'll surely be worth the wait!

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctahoe View Post
If you can I would defenetly wait till after Christmas for both of your trips. I may be wrong but i don't think sierra makes any snow, so if we don't get much snow they won't have much if anything open. I wanna say sierra didn't even open till early december last year.
Yeah, I've never had much luck with early-season at Tahoe. You're likely to be met with a lot of closed/bare terrain. But you never know. We started holding off until mid/late February. Much better shot at getting good conditions. Nothing worse than looking at all these awesome mountains with closed trails!
surfinsnow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome