Going to West Coast for the first time. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going to West Coast for the first time.

Hey Guys.
I'm planning on going to Colorado or Montana for the first time. Going there in early January when the everything is not too expensive and waiting lines for lifts are not crazy. I'm looking for a nice place that is not very expensive but is still very good.
I looked up Wolf Creek in Montana. Looks good but pretty far from the airport and there is no hotel right by the mnt.
You guys have any suggestions?
Will appreciate every input.
ktchka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Doesn't sound like you are going anywhere near the West coast.

You're wasting your time going to Colorado. Just sayin'...
killclimbz is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:13 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
January is cheaper because it is a little dicey as far as conditions. The base is thin and Imma suggest Utah. Airport is easily accessible.

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Doesn't sound like you are going anywhere near the West coast.

You're wasting your time going to Colorado. Just sayin'...
Why do you think so? I have no idea , so any insight is valuable.
Thanks for ur reply.
ktchka is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also guys I meant Powder Mnt , not Creek mnt. Although I looked it up as well but it's too far from airports.
ktchka is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
January is cheaper because it is a little dicey as far as conditions. The base is thin and Imma suggest Utah. Airport is easily accessible.
Thank you for the suggestion. What places in Utah are good? Also what is the best time to go snowboarding in Montana and/or Utah?
ktchka is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktchka View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. What places in Utah are good? Also what is the best time to go snowboarding in Montana and/or Utah?

Snowbird, brighton, solitude, but if you want to get away from the crowd, Pow Mountain and snowbasin. I like snowbird/brighton/solitude because you can stay in SLC and the drive is pretty quick to the airport. Plus, in SLC, the car rental situation is real quick and easy....moreso than many other airports.

Best time to go? Late Feb-into March. The base is good, the temps are usually reliable, and the snow often happens.

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
Snowbird, brighton, solitude, but if you want to get away from the crowd, Pow Mountain and snowbasin. I like snowbird/brighton/solitude because you can stay in SLC and the drive is pretty quick to the airport. Plus, in SLC, the car rental situation is real quick and easy....moreso than many other airports.

Best time to go? Late Feb-into March. The base is good, the temps are usually reliable, and the snow often happens.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look them up right now. Appreciate it
ktchka is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 609
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I didn't want to create a new thread for this.

Me and 3 of my friends are planning a cross country bum road trip to any of the Rocky Mountain areas.

Anyone with experience know of the best bang-for-the-buck area to go to? We are not looking to drop a ton of money on lodging and lift tickets.

Google maps says Denver is 26 hours from New Jersey, and that Jackson Hole and SLC are 33 and 32 hours, respectively. Since we are driving so far, the extra 6-7 hours to get to a "better" area wouldn't be an issue.

Also, any knowledge of a multi-mountain pass that can be used at more than one mountain in an area? I was looking at this: http://www.liftopia.com/resort_detail.php?ResortId=2461

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Deimus85; 12-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Deimus85 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
I didn't want to create a new thread for this.

Me and 3 of my friends are planning a cross country bum road trip to any of the Rocky Mountain areas.

Anyone with experience know of the best bang-for-the-buck area to go to? We are not looking to drop a ton of money on lodging and lift tickets.

Google maps says Denver is 26 hours from New Jersey, and that Jackson Hole and SLC are 33 and 32 hours, respectively. Since we are driving so far, the extra 6-7 hours to get to a "better" area wouldn't be an issue.

Also, any knowledge of a multi-mountain pass that can be used at more than one mountain in an area? I was looking at this: Liftopia - Resort Details


Any input would be appreciated.
This is new thread-worthy.

I did said trip, last year, and will do it again, this year. The Mountain Collective Pass is a good shot, though, if you're boarding, you'll have to try to sell your Alta investment....Alta is ski-only. If you're doing the Collective, I suggest grabbing one of the Epics. I say go balls-in and make it to Tahoe. Mountain Collective + Epic Pass will get you riding at 12 resorts for about 1100 bones. Sounds big, but it is an investment of a lifetime. Also, think about buying a few geiggerigs......water packs that have a Skullcandy Passport that provides discounted or free lift tickets.

Craigslist was my route for places to crash. I can suggest more later...time to get to work.

Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome