life at a resort - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
davidj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by threej21 View Post
is there nice surrounding communities in Salt Lake? like suburbs in the metro area that are still very close to the resorts....just not much of a city person, and if i ever considered this, i would want a house with a yard and shit....
Ummm... no. SLC is very crowded, more like Manhattan (not the one in Kansas silly). Only highrises and condos, no yards. You have to catch the metro bus from the city to the resorts, can you imagine that? They won't allow your stupid 2WD up the mountain when it's snowing. Sometimes they shut off the access roads to the resorts for hours, for avalanche control because of... too much powder?

Add to that the liquor laws, the mormons and the pollution. Wasatchman is all wet don't listen to him. Go to Denver, Portland or Seattle... maybe Snowolf can convince everyone to move to Portland. Just leave SLC to the mormons and idiots like Wasatchman... and me.

Due to the rising cost of ammo, do not expect a warning shot! Sorry for the inconvenience.
davidj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Lived in Orange County for 20 years. Bear Mountain for powder!? You are joking right? Big Bear gets, what - 90 inches per season?

Bear has a fun park if you're into it - that is all. Not to mention standing in the lift line for 30 minutes for a super short run. Packs of bros talking about the upcoming ufc fight getting drunk of their ass. Most people their take one run then hit the base and pull out their tank tops because you guys have 50 degrees days for more than half the season. Worth the 2 hour drive? No. Unless you leave before noon you're looking at a 4 hour drive back to LA.

Who fucking cares that SoCal has shitty mountains and a beach within a day. The beaches at huntington constantly get shut down due to pollution, the beaches in San Clemente are full of rocks and pebbles, yes they have decent waves. SoCal is for surfers and skaters - NOT snowboarders.

Everyone all the time "Oh I can snowboard, surf and dirtbike all in the same day!! look how cool I am! I never travel I have everything I need right here!!!"

I am so fucking glad I moved away from that shit hole, god I fucking hate California. 20 years born and raised was way too fucking much.


Your only decent mountains are 6 hours away, your only decent part of the state is 6 hours away.

You suck.



oh my goodness...

you do realize that you have pretty much the same laws as Utah right? all your liquor at the grocery store is the same as Utah. The only difference is that you have to go to a liquor store to buy hard alcohol.

You are a fucking idiot who has never done research in his life. You are bad and you should feel bad.





Absolutely not. SLC is pretty liberal. I have come across a few mormons in my 3 years here, all at my work. It took me a year to find out they were. It is the most exaggerated thing I have ever heard. I came from Southern California and I got pretty mad in an odd way when I came here - mainly at myself. Everything I heard was so unbelievably wrong, I seriously went so long before even running into a mormon. They have giant gay pride parades here, it's a snowboard/ski/outdoor city. Tons of people smoking weed and drinking at resorts. Big outdoor free concerts with typical people getting drunk and obnoxious. SLC has the least mormons out of the state. They do have a decent influence on the state though.


It's a very frustrating subject, especially for me. I am very against religion in all forms, call me ignorant - I'm sure I am, but the SLC mormon hype is a fucking joke. I wish it didn't make me so mad but it does

For reference - the crazy christian families back in orange county affected me more and were more noticeable than the mormons in SLC. They were worse and when I came here, Orange County seemed like a religious camp and SLC was finally freedom, peace...
that's good to know, i had always thought utah was just full of mormons.. seems like a fun place though!
blockay is offline  
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
 
freshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salmon Arm BC
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longboardsrule View Post
Try Okanagan area, 4 resorts in the immediate area, a bunch of other just a few hours away.

Tons of opportunity to make good $$$ opening a home based business...
I agree with the first part of your statement, but the economy in the Okanagan is shit. I had to move from Kelowna to chase work and it is just now getting slightly better although it's still tough as hell to land a good stable job. I'm an electrician BTW.
freshy is offline  
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
 
MarshallV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Lived in Orange County for 20 years. Bear Mountain for powder!? You are joking right? Big Bear gets, what - 90 inches per season?

Bear has a fun park if you're into it - that is all. Not to mention standing in the lift line for 30 minutes for a super short run. Packs of bros talking about the upcoming ufc fight getting drunk of their ass. Most people their take one run then hit the base and pull out their tank tops because you guys have 50 degrees days for more than half the season. Worth the 2 hour drive? No. Unless you leave before noon you're looking at a 4 hour drive back to LA.

Who fucking cares that SoCal has shitty mountains and a beach within a day. The beaches at huntington constantly get shut down due to pollution, the beaches in San Clemente are full of rocks and pebbles, yes they have decent waves. SoCal is for surfers and skaters - NOT snowboarders.

Everyone all the time "Oh I can snowboard, surf and dirtbike all in the same day!! look how cool I am! I never travel I have everything I need right here!!!"

I am so fucking glad I moved away from that shit hole, god I fucking hate California. 20 years born and raised was way too fucking much.


Your only decent mountains are 6 hours away, your only decent part of the state is 6 hours away.

You suck.



oh my goodness...

you do realize that you have pretty much the same laws as Utah right? all your liquor at the grocery store is the same as Utah. The only difference is that you have to go to a liquor store to buy hard alcohol.

You are a fucking idiot who has never done research in his life. You are bad and you should feel bad.





Absolutely not. SLC is pretty liberal. I have come across a few mormons in my 3 years here, all at my work. It took me a year to find out they were. It is the most exaggerated thing I have ever heard. I came from Southern California and I got pretty mad in an odd way when I came here - mainly at myself. Everything I heard was so unbelievably wrong, I seriously went so long before even running into a mormon. They have giant gay pride parades here, it's a snowboard/ski/outdoor city. Tons of people smoking weed and drinking at resorts. Big outdoor free concerts with typical people getting drunk and obnoxious. SLC has the least mormons out of the state. They do have a decent influence on the state though.


It's a very frustrating subject, especially for me. I am very against religion in all forms, call me ignorant - I'm sure I am, but the SLC mormon hype is a fucking joke. I wish it didn't make me so mad but it does

For reference - the crazy christian families back in orange county affected me more and were more noticeable than the mormons in SLC. They were worse and when I came here, Orange County seemed like a religious camp and SLC was finally freedom, peace...
Agree with all this.
Big Bear is like a Midwest resort..

The Mormon religion is weird and fucked up but every Mormon I've meant that is just Mormon due to family is actually really cool. You have your nuts but they're easily ignored. It's not near as bad as living in the Bible Belt. Christians can be some pretty fucked up people.
MarshallV82 is offline  
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
 
WasatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously davidj, I'm beginning to give up...why is it that people think SLC is on a different planet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by threej21 View Post
is there nice surrounding communities in Salt Lake? like suburbs in the metro area that are still very close to the resorts....just not much of a city person, and if i ever considered this, i would want a house with a yard and shit....

Do we have suburbs!? Of course man, it's a pretty major place. You have a big narrow valley with mountains on both sides, downtown SLC at the northend, and suburbs more and more as you go south. downtown is super small compared to whatever you're thinking.

edit: http://i.imgur.com/Tnx8w.jpg http://i.imgur.com/f0JNM.jpg

Last edited by WasatchMan; 01-27-2013 at 04:38 PM.
WasatchMan is offline  
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Member
 
longboardsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
I agree with the first part of your statement, but the economy in the Okanagan is shit. I had to move from Kelowna to chase work and it is just now getting slightly better although it's still tough as hell to land a good stable job. I'm an electrician BTW.
I meant grow pot @ home. I know a few poeple doing it out there and they are LTD!
longboardsrule is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome