VT - President's Day Weekend - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Default VT - President's Day Weekend

Hey Guys,

I'm going up to vermont with a couple buddies over President's Day weekend and trying to figure out what would be our best option. I'm the only serious rider, my friends only ride about once or twice a year, so while I'd love to hit some sick terrain I'm not sure my friends would be up for anything too crazy. I was thinking Killington because we'd also be looking for some nightlife but wasn't sure how swamped the place would be on a holiday weekend.

Any suggestions?
brucew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,285
Default

I would assume everywhere will be swamped. Killington will surely be a busy time. However, if your friends need a little non-mountain distraction, Killington surely offers that!

I was at Placid a few years ago....Twas very busy. That being said, if it snows.....just avoid the major trails or just keep searching. There is a lot of mountain to enjoy at Killy. If your friends are ballsy, just go up to Jay.....or Maine!
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew. View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm going up to vermont with a couple buddies over President's Day weekend and trying to figure out what would be our best option. I'm the only serious rider, my friends only ride about once or twice a year, so while I'd love to hit some sick terrain I'm not sure my friends would be up for anything too crazy. I was thinking Killington because we'd also be looking for some nightlife but wasn't sure how swamped the place would be on a holiday weekend.

Any suggestions?
It will be extremely crowded at Killington, Maine is an idea, but probably deeper in than Sunday River, depends on if you want to sacrifice nightlife for riding. I know at least one place to probably beat the crowds in VT, but probably not the greatest nightlife spot and am now wondering if I should give it away.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 227
Default

killington is your best bet for all-around terrain; even their serious trails aren't really all that serious, so if your friends feel adventurous you can be confident they won't hurt themselves.

but killington is the official "everyone go here" resort since it's the closest one to the tri-state area. the trails themselves don't necessarily get crowded since it's a big place by east coast standards, but the lines can get long.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efilnikufesin View Post
It will be extremely crowded at Killington, Maine is an idea, but probably deeper in than Sunday River, depends on if you want to sacrifice nightlife for riding. I know at least one place to probably beat the crowds in VT, but probably not the greatest nightlife spot and am now wondering if I should give it away.
We don't need the liveliest nightlife around but atleast something that has the potential to run into a few snow bunnies I wouldn't mind a PM with your secret spot to beat the crowds for future reference, I'm applying for jobs back in my home state of MA so hopefully I'll be riding VT more often soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
killington is your best bet for all-around terrain; even their serious trails aren't really all that serious, so if your friends feel adventurous you can be confident they won't hurt themselves.

but killington is the official "everyone go here" resort since it's the closest one to the tri-state area. the trails themselves don't necessarily get crowded since it's a big place by east coast standards, but the lines can get long.
Yeah the long lines was what I was hoping to avoid if possible, quick way for out of shape friends to lose interest. I haven't been to Killy since i was a skier which was like 10 years ago...is there a certain part of the mountain that might be less busy if thats where we end up going?


thanks for the replies
brucew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 227
Default

i know the gondola for sure is almost guaranteed to be packed.

from my experience, ramshead is usually moderate. it services some decent terrain of varying difficulties. skye peak is usually fast but it services mostly advanced terrain. bear mountain is supposed to be not crowded but i heard it's small and not that fun to ride.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
i know the gondola for sure is almost guaranteed to be packed.

from my experience, ramshead is usually moderate. it services some decent terrain of varying difficulties. skye peak is usually fast but it services mostly advanced terrain. bear mountain is supposed to be not crowded but i heard it's small and not that fun to ride.
thank you kind sir. some warm ups at ramshead then skye peak sounds like a good plan
brucew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
neednsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,285
Default

Blah to ramshead, but it'll be good for people of varied skills. Yes to Skye, and I always have fun over at Bear. Bunnies will be at Killy.
__________________
Neednsnow.com:
Traveling the States and Taking Pictures
neednsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums