Private instructors at resorts - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Private instructors at resorts

What is the general etiquette for private instructors at ski resorts? Is it a big no-no? Heading out to Utah (Snowbird) and I want to take some lessons too, but wanted to know what the general thoughts are.

I talked to someone at snowboardinglessons.info and asked them about it. They said they can operate at certain resorts, including Snowbird, and have a permit with the National Forest Service and pay a commission to them. Whether this makes them legit, no idea!

Last edited by timmytimmytimmy; 02-22-2013 at 08:40 PM.
timmytimmytimmy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't understand what you mean by "legit." As an instructor, I always recommend having private lessons. I find that it's usually a much more relaxed environment and you don't have to worry about the instructor splitting themselves into xyz parts to accommodate for everyone. I also don't understand this part of your statement?
Quote:
What is the general etiquette for private instructors at ski resorts? Is it a big no-no?
boarderaholic is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The OP may be talking about instructors that do not work for the mountain giving lessons at the mountain. Many mountains have you sign some paperwork if you teach there, saying that if you quit or get fired, you can not teach lessons at that mountain on your on accord as it takes away from the mountains revenue. There was an issue with two instructors at my mountain that had been working there for awhile but ended up quitting because they were forced to teach too many beginner lessons... they contacted a bunch of their regular clients and got them to buy cheap lessons that were not affiliated with the mountain. Mountain management caught on because they were ALWAYS seen with a different person every time they were at the hill. I'm not sure how it turned out, but there was talk of serious legal repercussions.

I'm not sure about your situation, but if they are AASI certified, it is at least a somewhat decent indication that they can teach you a thing or two.
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 8,642
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
A few years back, when I was first starting to ride, I got hooked up with a AASI Level 3 instructor who had moved on to a financial job. It was actually on this forum. We met up at Keystone and I paid him $50 cash for an hour and a half private lesson. To this day, that's the best $50 I've ever spent on snowboarding. I went from a side slipping goober to linking turns on blues in 90 minutes flat. An instructor who knows what he's doing can take a look at your riding and give you tailored advice that will have you grow by leaps and bounds virtually instantly, then give you advice on what to do when you're on the mountain afterward to continue your progression.

"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
A few years back, when I was first starting to ride, I got hooked up with a AASI Level 3 instructor who had moved on to a financial job. It was actually on this forum. We met up at Keystone and I paid him $50 cash for an hour and a half private lesson. To this day, that's the best $50 I've ever spent on snowboarding. I went from a side slipping goober to linking turns on blues in 90 minutes flat. An instructor who knows what he's doing can take a look at your riding and give you tailored advice that will have you grow by leaps and bounds virtually instantly, then give you advice on what to do when you're on the mountain afterward to continue your progression.
Amen to that.
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
The OP may be talking about instructors that do not work for the mountain giving lessons at the mountain.
Correct - there appears to be instructors (private individuals) willing to offer private lessons for much cheaper than what a resort can offer: this is what I'm referring to. I've had mixed results with resort instructors - sometimes the advice they offer is very helpful, at times it feels like it's been lifted out of a textbook. At other times it's just "Copy what I do" without much of an explanation, which isn't particularly helpful.

I realize that it's hard to vet private instructors to know if they really know what they are doing/teaching but I think there is just as much luck involved when it comes to using resort-employed instructors
timmytimmytimmy is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at that website seems like a joke. I checked out the employment page and they don't ask about any certification levels. It seems to look more at ability and years spent riding.
I'm an NZ Level 3 and currently working in Utah and completely understand your thoughts on unhelpful advice or lessons from instructors. A lot of instructors here aren't even certified and it drives me insane. If you're getting an advanced lesson then chances are you're going to get a qualified and experience coach though, as they won't, or at least shouldn't be putting unqualified or low certified instructors on those groups.
That being said, if you get a private lesson, then you never know who will be teaching you.

Most private company's operating such business have permits to teach at those resorts, and if they don't they will get stung pretty heavily when they get found out.

A good way could be to ask about the instructors qualifications and experience when booking a lesson. In groups this is usually not possible, but when booking a private it may be possible depending on the resort.
Another option is to find the instructors during their line up at the start of the day and talk to them personally to find one you trust and get a lesson with them.
nzshred is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzshred View Post
Looking at that website seems like a joke. I checked out the employment page and they don't ask about any certification levels. It seems to look more at ability and years spent riding.
I'm an NZ Level 3 and currently working in Utah and completely understand your thoughts on unhelpful advice or lessons from instructors. A lot of instructors here aren't even certified and it drives me insane. If you're getting an advanced lesson then chances are you're going to get a qualified and experience coach though, as they won't, or at least shouldn't be putting unqualified or low certified instructors on those groups.
Is this true? Where I teach in Maine, we were encouraged to get our AASI certification if we had any plans on moving out West. They claimed to teach out West most resorts require your level 1... and your level 2 if you want any sort of advanced lessons. I can see that being true for skiers, but does it not hold true for snowboarders?
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apparently not. They are encouraged to get certified yes, but there is no real penalty for not doing so.
Only Level 3's here teach the advanced class, Level one's and two will teach intermediate, along with some "experienced" non certs.
Non certs are able to teach private lessons.
nzshred is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome