Mammoth Mtn. Bird's Eye Trail Map - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mammoth Mtn. Bird's Eye Trail Map



not just cool, but useful!
wildshoetwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
 
WasatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah if you go to almost any resort on Google Maps and zoom in it will have this layout.

Pretty cool feature.

Here is Snowbird/Alta, UT I actually like how this imagery was taken in the summer time, it gives you a better idea of the terrain - cliffs, bowls, chutes etc. The mammoth one is so bright and 'glarey' from the snow it's kind of hard to differ the topography.
WasatchMan is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fuuuck Mammoth looks complicated to navigate...
onthefence is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
Fuuuck Mammoth looks complicated to navigate...
I've heard the exact opposite. Real easy mountain to navigate.
jdang307 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Yeah if you go to almost any resort on Google Maps and zoom in it will have this layout.

Pretty cool feature.

Here is Snowbird/Alta, UT I actually like how this imagery was taken in the summer time, it gives you a better idea of the terrain - cliffs, bowls, chutes etc. The mammoth one is so bright and 'glarey' from the snow it's kind of hard to differ the topography.
I followed the link you posted , does snowbird really have this much snow in the summer?

You have to zoom to far in on google to make it useful especially on a phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (174.8 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by edlo; 02-23-2013 at 06:06 PM.
edlo is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I've heard the exact opposite. Real easy mountain to navigate.
It is not that bad if you rotate the map and make the top of the Sierra the top and Canyon and Eagle lodge the bottom , it makes more sense. Chair 14 is known as the back side of the mountain. They have a phone booth there if you get stuck there.

People have gotten lost but it is their own fault. It is like a big M , you need to zig zag to get from the lowest lodge to the highest main lodge . Take a trip if you are from so cal , you won't regret it.
edlo is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlo View Post
It is not that bad if you rotate the map and make the top of the Sierra the top and Canyon and Eagle lodge the bottom , it makes more sense. Chair 14 is known as the back side of the mountain. They have a phone booth there if you get stuck there.

People have gotten lost but it is their own fault. It is like a big M , you need to zig zag to get from the lowest lodge to the highest main lodge . Take a trip if you are from so cal , you won't regret it.
Oh trust me. I've had tickets the past two years but my schedule sucked. I'm now self-employed and plan to hit it probably twice this year.

My buddies love Mammoth, even after Breck, all Tahoe resorts, etc. They say it's pretty easy to zig zag up and down across the mountain.
jdang307 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Oh trust me. I've had tickets the past two years but my schedule sucked. I'm now self-employed and plan to hit it probably twice this year.

My buddies love Mammoth, even after Breck, all Tahoe resorts, etc. They say it's pretty easy to zig zag up and down across the mountain.
the best part about mammoth is that it's a huge departure from what i grew up with on the east coast, which is mainly supercilious skiers, stuffy, quiet lodges where you'll get looked at like a derelict for ordering more than 1 alcoholic beverage at a time that isn't made with gin or isn't a sam adams.

mammoth is basically stoners, people looking to have a good time, the skiers are incredibly chill, the lodges are great, the quality of food and alcohol is great, the trails are great and about a notch more difficult than what they are rated, and you can literally take the same chairlift all day and never take the same path to the bottom and still have a good time. learning the mountain and exploring it is amazing. if you don't really look at a map and just sort of explore you will really be amazed when you run into outpost 14 in the seeming middle of nowhere, or mccoys station.

i won't lie, the prices are crazy but as far as home mountains, i'm proud to call mammoth my home mountain even though its 3 hours farther than bear. it's just a great place to take weekend vacations.
wildshoetwt is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Oh trust me. I've had tickets the past two years but my schedule sucked. I'm now self-employed and plan to hit it probably twice this year.

My buddies love Mammoth, even after Breck, all Tahoe resorts, etc. They say it's pretty easy to zig zag up and down across the mountain.
I'm not saying it is hard but more to describe the mountain and layout, the map just doesn't do Mammoth justice.
edlo is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
 
WasatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlo View Post
I followed the link you posted , does snowbird really have this much snow in the summer?

You have to zoom to far in on google to make it useful especially on a phone. Where did you get this map?
Snowbird is no Mt. Hood where you can ride year round, there are no glacial features left in the Wasatch anymore.

But Snowbird stays open till July 4th when we have an average or above snowfall year - Obviously last season with only 400" of snowfall for the season they quite weren't able to make it with that record breaking dry season.

But what do you mean, where did I get this map? Like I said, just go to google, hit 'Maps' at the top. Type in or "fly" to pretty much any ski resort and zoom in on it - it will superimpose a trail map with labeled lifts and runs over the actual satellite image.
WasatchMan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome