Do you bring your iron/ wax. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
jjz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 178
Default Do you bring your iron/ wax.

Im going to utah next week for 6 days of riding (thread posted in the intermountain us section), and as this year i got into waxing my board myself and actually keeping it waxed (every 1 day of riding here on the ice coast), and i was thinking about whether i should bring my iron/wax/scraper in my suitcase.

The only trouble is air canadas stupid rules, i have to pay extra for a suitcase that can only contain boots and bindings, and if so much as throw a pair of pajamas in their i have to pay another 50 bucks. I cant put two snowboards in one bag for no reason (which would be very efficient considering i have too remove the bindings).

Opinions?
jjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
--bigtime--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 375
Default

Wax and scrape the day before and leave your kit at home. Utah pow will be much kinder to your board then the ice/crud you are used to riding....in the event you REALLY want to get a fresh base on there then just take it to canyon sports for a fresh tune.
$15 < $50
--bigtime-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TorpedoVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 394
Default

Most hotels request no skis or boards in the rooms for the very reason that they don't want people waxing thier gear in the rooms and damaging the floors. They usually make you lock up gear in a storage room near the lobby. You might be able to sneak your gear into the room but I've heard of hotels charging you extra if they have to clean wax from the floors/carpets.

Just something to think about.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wangta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vermont and SoCal
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
Most hotels request no skis or boards in the rooms for the very reason that they don't want people waxing thier gear in the rooms and damaging the floors. They usually make you lock up gear in a storage room near the lobby. You might be able to sneak your gear into the room but I've heard of hotels charging you extra if they have to clean wax from the floors/carpets.

Just something to think about.
Huh? Never heard of this! I bring my board bag into the hotel room every time!
__________________
--
2012 Ride Highlife 161
2013 Ride Slackcountry 164
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,471
Blog Entries: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjz View Post
Im going to utah next week for 6 days of riding (thread posted in the intermountain us section), and as this year i got into waxing my board myself and actually keeping it waxed (every 1 day of riding here on the ice coast), and i was thinking about whether i should bring my iron/wax/scraper in my suitcase.

The only trouble is air canadas stupid rules, i have to pay extra for a suitcase that can only contain boots and bindings, and if so much as throw a pair of pajamas in their i have to pay another 50 bucks. I cant put two snowboards in one bag for no reason (which would be very efficient considering i have too remove the bindings).

Opinions?
An hour ago I just checked 2 burton wheelie gig bags with 6 boards, bindings helmets, gloves, boots and other crap, even a cordless screwdriver. I do this all the time with air Canada, never had a problem. Once they asked if I had boots in the bag and I said yes.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
freshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salmon Arm BC
Posts: 982
Default

I also say don't bother bringing it. If you feel the need for a wax job you can get a quick wax done at the hill for $5, or pay maybe $20 at a shop.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,693
Default

Fly westjet!

Also, you won't need to wax in 6 days of Utah riding if their snow is anything like ours. I used to wax every 4 days or so, now it's more like every 10 just cause I feel like doing it.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
jjz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
An hour ago I just checked 2 burton wheelie gig bags with 6 boards, bindings helmets, gloves, boots and other crap, even a cordless screwdriver. I do this all the time with air Canada, never had a problem. Once they asked if I had boots in the bag and I said yes.
I dont know how strict they truly are, but the lady on the phone said board without bindings in one bag, and boots and bindings in another. She said they were very strict, but shes probably told to say that.
jjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 767
Default

Just got back today from 7 days in SLC / big/little cottonwoods. I brought my iron, wax, brushes, stones, even the jacks (we had a condo with a garage) and was going to do everyone's skis and edges at night.

Didn't even open my bag that had my maintenance gear in it, except to get out my chewing tobacco.

After riding all day, partying all night, over and over the last thing you'll want to do is maintain your board. And it's by far the last thing you'll need to do. I, just after doing a complete board tune, jacked all my edges up. No urge to even break out a black stone to clean it up even a little.

And I had the large heated garage with a place to mount my jacks (or vices).

Just leave it and forget it.

FYI- for 25 bucks at snowbird you can get an edge job and wax job if you so desire. I don't know what your edges would come out at.......lol.... but my board was hauling enough ass to not have to worry about the wax and Iv'e ridden with much worse edges this year.

We were doing mile long traverses on the back side of the bird just to drop hero snow, and I was passing everyone on the cat track.

The snow was heavy for Utah though......... but in any event take it from a guy who loves to wax and edge his board. Leave that shit at home and focus on riding, eating, and drinking!
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
Most hotels request no skis or boards in the rooms for the very reason that they don't want people waxing thier gear in the rooms and damaging the floors. They usually make you lock up gear in a storage room near the lobby. You might be able to sneak your gear into the room but I've heard of hotels charging you extra if they have to clean wax from the floors/carpets.

Just something to think about.
Like Wangta I did not know that either. But seriously people should not be doing it, not because the hotels could be charging extras for the cleaning. It's difficult not not spill scrapped wax on the floor even if you have proper equipment (a bench and vises) ...... well unless you have a large canvas, or sheets of newspaper to cover the floor for the job. Leaving your wax mess for someone else to clean up is quite inconsiderate. Scrapped wax is not just dust, they stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Just got back today from 7 days in SLC / big/little cottonwoods. I brought my iron, wax, brushes, stones, even the jacks (we had a condo with a garage) and was going to do everyone's skis and edges at night.

Didn't even open my bag that had my maintenance gear in it, except to get out my chewing tobacco.

After riding all day, partying all night, over and over the last thing you'll want to do is maintain your board. And it's by far the last thing you'll need to do. I, just after doing a complete board tune, jacked all my edges up. No urge to even break out a black stone to clean it up even a little.

And I had the large heated garage with a place to mount my jacks (or vices).

Just leave it and forget it ......
Me too. I hot waxed my boards at home but I brought rub-on liquid wax with me to the resort. Whether rub-on wax is good or not is another debatable issue. But every evening I was just too exhausted to examine my board for worn out waxed areas, let alone doing the rub-on's. That's just me.

Haha also at the end of each day, as I reflect the many areas in my riding I could improve on, it makes me wonder if simply putting a new layer of wax would appreciably make me excel to the next level. I think boards that are superbly maintained don't play an important part in my riding yet. More practice is what I need. To each their own.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums