WANTED: VOLUNTEER RIDERS PHOTOGRAPHERS WRITERS VIDEOGRAPHERSl - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Regardless of everyones opinion on religion the fact is people will believe what the feel is right (everyone included here) SO i guess my point is why does it matter, someone pushing their religious beliefs on you is the same as you posting here how religion is bullshit, its just both sides of the coin.

I myself don't really believe but what i do like about religion (and i mean some religions) is that it promotes some good values and ethos. In fact if we want to get down and dirty statistics show that (now I'm talking Australia i have no idea about the USA) Christian schooled children achieve better grades, attend and graduate University more and earn a higher wage on average more than students schooled with no religious affiliation.

You could probably argue this has to do with parents and socio economic backgrounds but i do believe that overall the values pushed through some religions help some people find direction and in my books thats a good thing. Does religion have its flaws? fuck yeah it does and i hate how it is used as an excuse for fighting, disasters, hate etc etc etc and it is more often than not manipulated to serve someones purpose, BUT as said i do believe there is an underlying benefit for some people.

Im not a guy who goes to church, or reads the bible or anything like that but i have 2 daughters whom i want to be raised with good core values and with the opportunity to make their own mind up as i did. They will both attend a local Catholic school because it is the best school in our area and students consistently achieve better results there (BTW i am a teacher at a different school) and i can only hope that when they are my age whatever they believe is because they experienced things and formed their own beliefs.

Not a rant just an opinion and by no means trying to stoke the fire.
So you don't go to church, but you want the church to raise your daughters as catholics. How exactly are they supposed to "make their mind as you did" if you are allowing that school to FILL those minds with catholic bullshit? Ah yes. Because they will "achieve better results" better than?

as I said MORE BULLSHIT!

if you really want them to make their mind, respect them. and don't allow a repressed priest to fill them before they have THE BRAINS to tell bullshit from...well more bullshit in case of religion.

LEt them grow up free instead. rligion should be forbidden to kids, until they actually understand what you're talking about, and have the means to critic those concept. Otherwise is called PROPAGANDA>
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 777
Default

Pushing beliefs regardless of what they are IS the same you can't argue that. The difference of course is that your beliefs are not designed to achieve the same thing as someone pushing their religious beliefs. The point i am trying to make is that while you disagree with what some people in some religions do the fact that you are expressing your beliefs and your opinions is in effect the same thing with a different goal.

While you are not trying to "recruit people" to your way of thinking, you are still letting it be known that your beliefs according to you are the right beliefs. I mean its hard for people (myself included) to accept that someone else's belief may be just as right. Example, if you see a alien UFO one night and you KNOW its a UFO, I'm probably not going to believe you no matter how much you try and convince me, reason is, i can't imagine what that would be like and i haven't seen one.

Im not trying to be on the bible peoples side, i guess I'm taking the Swiss route and being neutral maybe even "devils advocate" no pun intended.

You have a great point about homosexuals and the christian faith and i completely agree that true acceptance shouldn't be judged by a 2000+ year old book, and without further stirring the hornets nest i guess I'm trying to point out that by everyone having their own beliefs stating those beliefs is the same, even if they do have a different ultimate goal.
__________________
my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Ryan_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 236
Default

All I can think of while reading the OP.





The concept of a higher being is natural, and might even be useful to some people in certain situations - namely ones that will cause people to self-destruct when the alternative is a void. I went from Catholic to Atheist to Agnostic. Having said that, I have no use for religion. Sprirituality should come from the inside, not preached on from outside.
__________________
Ryan - flickr

Last edited by Ryan_T; 01-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Ryan_T is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Pushing beliefs regardless of what they are IS the same you can't argue that. The difference of course is that your beliefs are not designed to achieve the same thing as someone pushing their religious beliefs. The point i am trying to make is that while you disagree with what some people in some religions do the fact that you are expressing your beliefs and your opinions is in effect the same thing with a different goal.

While you are not trying to "recruit people" to your way of thinking, you are still letting it be known that your beliefs according to you are the right beliefs. I mean its hard for people (myself included) to accept that someone else's belief may be just as right. Example, if you see a alien UFO one night and you KNOW its a UFO, I'm probably not going to believe you no matter how much you try and convince me, reason is, i can't imagine what that would be like and i haven't seen one.

Im not trying to be on the bible peoples side, i guess I'm taking the Swiss route and being neutral maybe even "devils advocate" no pun intended.

You have a great point about homosexuals and the christian faith and i completely agree that true acceptance shouldn't be judged by a 2000+ year old book, and without further stirring the hornets nest i guess I'm trying to point out that by everyone having their own beliefs stating those beliefs is the same, even if they do have a different ultimate goal.

LOL!
Don't you even try. Here he goes with the old tactic atheism is a faith too... first: the difference is that I am leaving my kids the choice for when they desire to do so. you aren't. Second: I never mentioned gays, third: madness and logic are not the same. Go pray for some storms. make yourself useful please.
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
So you don't go to church, but you want the church to raise your daughters as catholics. How exactly are they supposed to "make their mind as you did" if you are allowing that school to FILL those minds with catholic bullshit? Ah yes. Because they will "achieve better results" better than?

as I said MORE BULLSHIT!

if you really want them to make their mind, respect them. and don't allow a repressed priest to fill them before they have THE BRAINS to tell bullshit from...well more bullshit in case of religion.

LEt them grow up free instead. rligion should be forbidden to kids, until they actually understand what you're talking about, and have the means to critic those concept. Otherwise is called PROPAGANDA>
No i don't go to church, but i did until i was 12, then i decided that it was not what i believed in and CHOSE not to go anymore. As my parents allowed me to decide so will my wife and I, we do not push any beliefs on our children and they are and will be taught to make their own mind up on things they question. The church will not raise my daughters and as a family we do not attend, as i don't know what Catholic schools are like in the US it is hard to compare to here, but they are not by any means a hard core do what we say believe what we say type regime.

Again as pointed out that "catholic bullshit" is bullshit to you and thats cool cos everyone is more than entitled to believe what they want but for someone to pass judgment on parents wanting whats best in their opinion for their children is the real bullshit.

And achieve better results than some kid who goes to a school with poor core values that has poor discipline and relaxed rules all in the name of allowing their students to be "free" to dictate their own learning. Are you a parent? The reason i ask is that if you are then you understand that children need guidance and direction, having the values and ethos that SOME religious schools have is of great benefit to many children throughout the world.
__________________
my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 777
Default

I wasn't talking to you about the homosexuals, secondly madness and logic are sometimes very hard to differentiate, thirdly i don't pray
__________________
my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Christian based action magazine? What is that? Like a dude jumping over a cross with a mountain bike? Gapping a nativity scene with a skateboard?
Wait a minute...

Weren't you "crucified" on the take off of a huge jump once?? Sounds like a cover shot..

Hahaha sorry, it was a memorable post!

OP: no disrespect; good luck in your venture. It's not my sort of thing but to each their own I suppose.
EatRideSleep is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 5
Default

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback keep it coming. I'm sorry I havnt got much details at the moment I've just started a new job that travels so no computer for me this post is from my mobile. All that I can say right now is why does someone need to be a superstar or mega athlete of a sport to be privee to be in an action magazine. The goal here is to build confidence and hope to the readers, maybe there less fortunate n can't even afford the simplest pleasure of a 5 dollar magazine?
dirt-snow88 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
I wasn't talking to you about the homosexuals, secondly madness and logic are sometimes very hard to differentiate, thirdly i don't pray

Petey dude...nothing personal, but religion-bullshit unnerves me since I was born in fucking catholic Italy. They had to bribe me and my brother with 2 brand new dirt bicycles to force us to endure the first communion. (LOL!) took me 3 years to complete a month of catechism without pissing the nun off AGAIN...lol. Fuck religion.
Especially the pedo-catholic one.

Yes of course I am a parent. 14 girl and 12 boy.
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
Wait a minute...

Weren't you "crucified" on the take off of a huge jump once?? Sounds like a cover shot..

Hahaha sorry, it was a memorable post!
YES! Haha you caught me! I was secretly filming for the new upcoming ChristAir Productions vid: "Jews Can't Jump"
BigmountainVMD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums