Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Intermountain US (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/intermountain-us/)
-   -   Moving to CO Wednesday.....Eldora lessons? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/intermountain-us/50872-moving-co-wednesday-eldora-lessons.html)

AU83 11-05-2012 11:23 AM

Moving to CO Wednesday.....Eldora lessons?
 
Wednesday morning I'll be making the 1500 mile move to Colorado for the next 12 weeks. I'll be working about 15 minutes northeast of Boulder. I accepted this job assignment because I thought it would be a great time to learn to snowboard. I only work 3 days a week and won't know anyone in Colorado so it would be a perfect opportunity to have the free time to dedicate to learning and practicing. With that being said all the googling I have done it looks like I'm stuck with going to Eldora. Obviously I'll need to start off with lessons, has anyone heard anything good or bad about the lessons offered at Eldora?

dopamean 11-05-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AU83 (Post 534591)
Wednesday morning I'll be making the 1500 mile move to Colorado for the next 12 weeks. I'll be working about 15 minutes northeast of Boulder. I accepted this job assignment because I thought it would be a great time to learn to snowboard. I only work 3 days a week and won't know anyone in Colorado so it would be a perfect opportunity to have the free time to dedicate to learning and practicing. With that being said all the googling I have done it looks like I'm stuck with going to Eldora. Obviously I'll need to start off with lessons, has anyone heard anything good or bad about the lessons offered at Eldora?

Haven't heard, but definitely down to ride w/ you when you make it to CO.

I'm down for anywhere and everywhere so hit me up!

AU83 11-05-2012 11:59 AM

I'm assuming it will be a nice long while before I can actually "ride", but thanks.

This will be my first time even seeing real snow so I'll probably be busting my ass for a while just trying to walk in it. :D

Tarzanman 11-05-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AU83 (Post 534623)
I'm assuming it will be a nice long while before I can actually "ride", but thanks.

This will be my first time even seeing real snow so I'll probably be busting my ass for a while just trying to walk in it. :D

1. Hurry up and get a season pass.
2. Even if you only ride 2-3 times a week, unless you are extremely clumsy you'll be able to make your way around on a board in a couple of trips.

3. You should be able to score some pretty decent deals on used boards out there. I'd go that route to save a few hundred.

You're going to have a car, right?

AU83 11-05-2012 03:36 PM

I do plan on getting a season pass to Eldora once I get to CO since it will be by far the closest to Longmont.

Are there stores up there that sell used boards or do you mean from like Craigslist? I was going to buy a setup from EVO.com, but I guess it would not be the best idea to buy from the internet the first time.

And yep I'll have my vehicle with me.

Skinny Bam 11-05-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AU83 (Post 534751)
I do plan on getting a season pass to Eldora once I get to CO since it will be by far the closest to Longmont.

Are there stores up there that sell used boards or do you mean from like Craigslist? I was going to buy a setup from EVO.com, but I guess it would not be the best idea to buy from the internet the first time.

And yep I'll have my vehicle with me.

With or without a car I wouldnt limit yourself to Eldora, never been there but I dont need to to know that the 20+ other resorts in CO(8 or so of them within an hour or 2) are 10x better. Even though you are learning after a few weeks of riding your gonna want more options for terrain. But thats just me :dunno:

Kilgore Trout 11-05-2012 06:58 PM

You a traveling nurse? Three day work week seems legit.

AU83 11-05-2012 07:22 PM

I know eldora sucks compared to the other places around, but I don't know how I'd feel about driving for a few hours and a few hours back every day. I'll have to see how comfortable I feel driving in the snow. I have an SUV but it's not 4 wheel drive and I don't even think it's AWD.

Yes, I am a travel nurse.

snowklinger 11-05-2012 07:31 PM

get snowtires.

the advantage of modern advances in rubber cannot be understated if you have any trepidation whatsoever about snow driving.

all season tires with good tread are a minimum, but seriously snow tires rule.

AWNOW 11-05-2012 07:38 PM

Craigslist has boards and people reselling proformed shit. A lot of the second hand stores have some bottom of the barrel garbage. I would just say do whatever you feel like. It won't be that big of a deal if you buy new or used. Supporting a local snowboard shop is always a great idea, though.

Eldora is fine and will be fine for you. If you are going to drive up there you need snow tires, but that is the only reason you would need them. The front range area is flat.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2