Moving to CO Wednesday.....Eldora lessons? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AU83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 18
Default Moving to CO Wednesday.....Eldora lessons?

Wednesday morning I'll be making the 1500 mile move to Colorado for the next 12 weeks. I'll be working about 15 minutes northeast of Boulder. I accepted this job assignment because I thought it would be a great time to learn to snowboard. I only work 3 days a week and won't know anyone in Colorado so it would be a perfect opportunity to have the free time to dedicate to learning and practicing. With that being said all the googling I have done it looks like I'm stuck with going to Eldora. Obviously I'll need to start off with lessons, has anyone heard anything good or bad about the lessons offered at Eldora?
AU83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dopamean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alyeska → Vail
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU83 View Post
Wednesday morning I'll be making the 1500 mile move to Colorado for the next 12 weeks. I'll be working about 15 minutes northeast of Boulder. I accepted this job assignment because I thought it would be a great time to learn to snowboard. I only work 3 days a week and won't know anyone in Colorado so it would be a perfect opportunity to have the free time to dedicate to learning and practicing. With that being said all the googling I have done it looks like I'm stuck with going to Eldora. Obviously I'll need to start off with lessons, has anyone heard anything good or bad about the lessons offered at Eldora?
Haven't heard, but definitely down to ride w/ you when you make it to CO.

I'm down for anywhere and everywhere so hit me up!
dopamean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AU83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 18
Default

I'm assuming it will be a nice long while before I can actually "ride", but thanks.

This will be my first time even seeing real snow so I'll probably be busting my ass for a while just trying to walk in it.
AU83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU83 View Post
I'm assuming it will be a nice long while before I can actually "ride", but thanks.

This will be my first time even seeing real snow so I'll probably be busting my ass for a while just trying to walk in it.
1. Hurry up and get a season pass.
2. Even if you only ride 2-3 times a week, unless you are extremely clumsy you'll be able to make your way around on a board in a couple of trips.

3. You should be able to score some pretty decent deals on used boards out there. I'd go that route to save a few hundred.

You're going to have a car, right?
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AU83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 18
Default

I do plan on getting a season pass to Eldora once I get to CO since it will be by far the closest to Longmont.

Are there stores up there that sell used boards or do you mean from like Craigslist? I was going to buy a setup from EVO.com, but I guess it would not be the best idea to buy from the internet the first time.

And yep I'll have my vehicle with me.
AU83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Skinny Bam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU83 View Post
I do plan on getting a season pass to Eldora once I get to CO since it will be by far the closest to Longmont.

Are there stores up there that sell used boards or do you mean from like Craigslist? I was going to buy a setup from EVO.com, but I guess it would not be the best idea to buy from the internet the first time.

And yep I'll have my vehicle with me.
With or without a car I wouldnt limit yourself to Eldora, never been there but I dont need to to know that the 20+ other resorts in CO(8 or so of them within an hour or 2) are 10x better. Even though you are learning after a few weeks of riding your gonna want more options for terrain. But thats just me
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 46
Default

You a traveling nurse? Three day work week seems legit.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
AU83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 18
Default

I know eldora sucks compared to the other places around, but I don't know how I'd feel about driving for a few hours and a few hours back every day. I'll have to see how comfortable I feel driving in the snow. I have an SUV but it's not 4 wheel drive and I don't even think it's AWD.

Yes, I am a travel nurse.
AU83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,763
Default

get snowtires.

the advantage of modern advances in rubber cannot be understated if you have any trepidation whatsoever about snow driving.

all season tires with good tread are a minimum, but seriously snow tires rule.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
AWNOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 716
Default

Craigslist has boards and people reselling proformed shit. A lot of the second hand stores have some bottom of the barrel garbage. I would just say do whatever you feel like. It won't be that big of a deal if you buy new or used. Supporting a local snowboard shop is always a great idea, though.

Eldora is fine and will be fine for you. If you are going to drive up there you need snow tires, but that is the only reason you would need them. The front range area is flat.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums