The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread - Page 80 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 363Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #791 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
 
MarshallV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Think we're gonna hit Vail tomorrow.

I've gone there more this year than I have in the past 4 years.
MarshallV82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #792 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pretty nasty all the way from Denver to the tunnel. if you don't have snows and all wheel drive its probably a good day to stay home.
Chef Jer is offline  
post #793 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm thinking about trying to squeeze one last trip out west(probaly Vail/BC) and come the last week of the season, April 6-13. I know no-one has a time machine or can predict the weather that far out, but historically is this last week normally a good time or has the weather gotten too warm and the snow is crap and dirt spots are showing thru? Trip will probaly cost me about $1k so before I just want to make sure It would be worth my hard earned money. While I would love powder as long as the snowpack is still holding well and the ground isnt showing I could justify the trip.

TIA
BarrettDSP is offline  
post #794 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettDSP View Post
I'm thinking about trying to squeeze one last trip out west(probaly Vail/BC) and come the last week of the season, April 6-13. I know no-one has a time machine or can predict the weather that far out, but historically is this last week normally a good time or has the weather gotten too warm and the snow is crap and dirt spots are showing thru? Trip will probaly cost me about $1k so before I just want to make sure It would be worth my hard earned money. While I would love powder as long as the snowpack is still holding well and the ground isnt showing I could justify the trip.

TIA
Well 2 years ago was epic and Loveland and Abasin went to 4th of July (roughly). Last year was shit and they pretty much closed the first week of May.

Only other thing to consider is that in this part of the year we are almost to the point where the mountains will have afternoon storms every day. The chances of you hitting some fresh are probably better than in Oct-Feb.

We get pounded in march and april.

You could get skunked, but shit will be open. Also consider higher elevations like Abasin and Loveland, I've heard some recent horror stories of BC melting out fast already (its relatively lower).

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #795 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 8,805
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Definitely hitting up Loveland tomorrow. Probably gonna head up around 6:30ish and bounce by 2ish.

"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is offline  
post #796 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fantastic day a Breck today Knee deep powder in Ore Bucket... great powder off chair 6 and NOOOO lift lines!!!!!! Thanks to 70 west bound closing it felt like a weekday. And zero traffic coming home!!!

Couldn't have asked for a better day.
Chef Jer is offline  
post #797 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Well 2 years ago was epic and Loveland and Abasin went to 4th of July (roughly). Last year was shit and they pretty much closed the first week of May.

Only other thing to consider is that in this part of the year we are almost to the point where the mountains will have afternoon storms every day. The chances of you hitting some fresh are probably better than in Oct-Feb.

We get pounded in march and april.

You could get skunked, but shit will be open. Also consider higher elevations like Abasin and Loveland, I've heard some recent horror stories of BC melting out fast already (its relatively lower).
Thanks for info. Would love to do Loveland but I will be using my Epic Pass and wont have a car(both will help me keep costs down) so Loveland and probaly Abasin are not an option. Do you think staying in Breck would be a better option than Vail/BC?
BarrettDSP is offline  
post #798 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 5,874
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Being only 3 weeks away, vail should be just fine. There is plenty of snow down. Beaver creek will be much more sketchy and might be closed already april 7. Double check the closing date
Argo is offline  
post #799 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Both are showing closing dates of April 14th on their website. Are conditions already pretty sketchy at BC? I went to Vail/BC in mid-march last year when conditions sucked so I guess it cant be worse than that, lol.
BarrettDSP is offline  
post #800 of 6987 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettDSP View Post
Both are showing closing dates of April 14th on their website. Are conditions already pretty sketchy at BC? I went to Vail/BC in mid-march last year when conditions sucked so I guess it cant be worse than that, lol.
No way to know for sure. If the weather keeps up like it is now.... conditions will be great. If it gets warm it will be spring skiing (icy in the am and mashed potatoes in the pm). Get a magic 8 ball... it will be just as accurate as any of us at predicting the conditions.
Chef Jer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome