GNU Mullair 155: 2015/2016 early release - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wss64
  • 1 Post By mjd
  • 1 Post By Wss64
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GDimac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
GNU Mullair 155: 2015/2016 early release

For the TL;DR folks: this was the first C-R-C board I've ridden, felt odd to me on first few rides. But after more sessions with it, really got to enjoy this lightweight machine. Fun directional board esp for carving, but can also handle it well when pushed harder.


Rider specs
- 5'7/180lbs
- 8.5 Burton Rulers
- 2015 Union Force (Medium)
*Got to try with Union Atlas bindings. A much better pairing compared to my Forces imo, making it a lot more responsive. Would advise to pair with bindings in this stiffness range. So much more fun.

Local shredding
- Ontario, Canada (Ice-coast)
- Man-made/Groomers/Icy


Main riding preferences
- carving hard, relatively fast, euro carves, etc.
- hitting natural features, kickers, hips, etc.

Nicolas Muller is my fave rider all time and with this being his very first pro-model, only made sense to add this beaut to the quiver lol.

*A lot of this review is explained in comparison to my Burton Flight Attendant and my own two cents .



Carving/Stability:
First time owning a board with rocker in the middle (tho very mellow, still noticeable compared to my Burton FA) so it was a slightly different feel for me at first, especially when 1-footing it. But after giving it more sessions, I've gotten really comfortable with it and enjoy this board, esp for those days when I feel like just carving around.

This board feels really light as advertised by GNU, but don't be fooled as this board can rip. Never once felt unstable at high speeds when I'd push this board. If you enjoy throwing down some euro carves etc, this stick welcomes it. So much fun carving around with it; whether it's mellow runs with my lady or ripping around with my boys, it can handle it no prob.

Switch:
My switch riding isn't at the level that I'd like for it to be yet, but it was still enjoyable for a directional. A bit more junk in the trunk than the twins I've been accustomed to riding. But overall more fun than on the FA in this respect, which at times feels like I have a big ass tail causing me to put in a bit more work in switch.

Terrain:
It's pretty quick edge to edge, so manoeuvring around moguls, trees, ppl, etc isn't too much of an issue. Chunder? Rides thru it well and didn't feel unstable riding thru it, minimal chatter at most.

Flex:
Mid-flex

Pop/Jumps:
Not as powerful as my Burton FA, but I imagine its due to the more aggressive camber in the FA. Can still give you decent pop, given you have good popping/ollie technique. Also, takes a little more effort with the landing gear as I don't feel as stable when landing on it compared to the FA. Could be due to the lightweight nature and flex, also.

Speaking of its lightweight nature, it's much easier to swing this board around when attempting any rotations on jumps (1's, 3's, etc). Especially compared to the FA, which feels a tad bit heavier. This was def an aspect that I had a lot of fun with.

Edge hold:
Holds up in the Ice Coast, though magnetraction more mellow on the Mullair.

Jibbing:
Being a novice jibber, I mainly just hit boxes and tubes. Did ok, but def not it's forte. Much better boards suited out there for this type of riding.

Pow:
Living in the east coast, don't get to see that heavenly stuff as often as those in the west so can't really say much for this yet. But riding it in certain areas with thicker piles of natural mixed with man-made it felt great, surfy and super fun. Once I get it in legit deeper stuff, will update. Will be going to BC this season, amped to try it there.


All in all, between my 2 directional boards this is my more playful one. But by no means is this board a softy, this board can rip if you choose to. Just like the pro rider it's made for, appears to be light and nimble. But reveals it's power when you push this board to go harder/faster. A fun board for its type, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by GDimac; 01-03-2017 at 08:54 AM.
GDimac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Holland
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the review. I have the first FA when it came out and the graphics are... meh but love the ride. But I love the artwork on the muller!!

Anyway, I really am not big on rockers. How is this mellow rocker? I tried NS Cobra and though a nice board, I really didn't care for that loose feel... How is the Mullair? On straights running flat does it feel locked down or a bit loose? The rocker probably makes it easier to carve and more playful. Thanks
GDimac likes this.
Wss64 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GDimac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wss64 View Post
Thanks for the review. I have the first FA when it came out and the graphics are... meh but love the ride. But I love the artwork on the muller!!

Anyway, I really am not big on rockers. How is this mellow rocker? I tried NS Cobra and though a nice board, I really didn't care for that loose feel... How is the Mullair? On straights running flat does it feel locked down or a bit loose? The rocker probably makes it easier to carve and more playful. Thanks
Thanks dude. Just my own humble opinion and personal experiences with it.

The first graphic was the red & black one right? Not that bad tho not a huge fan of red personally. But ya love the 2016's graphic the most so far. The greenery theme for burton this year is meh for me lol.

On straight lining, it did take a little getting used to at first esp compared to my full camber boards. Feels looser than the FA but once you get used to it, it's fine. It's a fun carving deck that's for sure. And actually wish I got this year's Mullair instead cos that space graphic is awesome (space nerd lol). Hope that helps.
GDimac is online now  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Holland
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDimac View Post
Thanks dude. Just my own humble opinion and personal experiences with it.

The first graphic was the red & black one right? Not that bad tho not a huge fan of red personally. But ya love the 2016's graphic the most so far. The greenery theme for burton this year is meh for me lol.

On straight lining, it did take a little getting used to at first esp compared to my full camber boards. Feels looser than the FA but once you get used to it, it's fine. It's a fun carving deck that's for sure. And actually wish I got this year's Mullair instead cos that space graphic is awesome (space nerd lol). Hope that helps.
I have the blue/green FA. My wife rides the same and calls it a rental look so at least no one will run off with it. . This year's Mullair space theme is too awesome. I really don't like squirrelly straight lining flat basing.....
Wss64 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GDimac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wss64 View Post

I have the blue/green FA. My wife rides the same and calls it a rental look so at least no one will run off with it. . This year's Mullair space theme is too awesome. I really don't like squirrelly straight lining flat basing.....
Oh true lol, that colourway looked pretty sick actually. Better than the red/black, at least.

Ya that space theme is perfect. And based on what you were saying in the other thread, the Mullair is a really good option. The mellow I think you're looking for. And dont worry, it's not loose like that. You'll be fine. Let me know if you end up getting it & what you think. Good luck.
GDimac is online now  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM
mjd
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
mjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Avylon
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I got out on my 2017 59 Mullair for the first time Friday since I demo'd it last February. There was 10+ inches of fresh pow. I rode it mostly in the trees and some steeps. The C3 is really just full camber despite that little dip in the middle and I think the extra 5" of nose length with slight uplift is really what allows it to float well. The magnetraction on this model is barely noticeable but the edgehold seemed fine on the scraped off ice patches.

The 159 wants to be ridden hard and at speed- it's not a turny skate deck. But start blasting away and all sorts of options open up, most noticeably big blunted nose butters and giant slashes. And pop for days! I love the way the camber loads up even with the shorter tail it boosts well.

Other great things I found is that it's ridiculously stable flat base (again full camber) and it rides switch perfectly fine- it doesn't feel the same as reg but it's definitely not twitchy or weird feeling. Landing 180s in pow there was plenty of rise in the tip to keep it above water and tracking straight.

Outside of the trees, conditions were challenging because the entire mountain was swamped with vacationers that destroyed everything last inch of terrain. There was lots knee crushing beat up chunder to deal with and the Mullair definitely seemed less at home dealing with it, but there probably aren't many boards that do.

I've been riding C2 and Arbor rocker boards for the last few years so the C3 profile feels pretty awesome to regain some of that power and drive of a full camber board. I also took on a 2017 57 Lib TRS HP this year- have yet to break it out but will soon.
GDimac likes this.

Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse
mjd is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Holland
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDimac View Post
Oh true lol, that colourway looked pretty sick actually. Better than the red/black, at least.

Ya that space theme is perfect. And based on what you were saying in the other thread, the Mullair is a really good option. The mellow I think you're looking for. And dont worry, it's not loose like that. You'll be fine. Let me know if you end up getting it & what you think. Good luck.
Hey GDimac,
In the end, I ended up getting a MOSS WingSwallow....
I thought about it and the Mullair is just another FA for me but much better looking, the graphics rock.
But what I need, for my age and riding needs is something for powder, groomers, carving and it does not have to be good at switch, jumps, park....
I just got back from Cervinia, no powder in sight but the groomers were in good condition and the Moss was pretty incredible so this will be now my go-to stick and my FA will be my back up.
Hope you have a great season but Europe is pretty sad...
Wss64 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GDimac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wss64 View Post
Hey GDimac,
In the end, I ended up getting a MOSS WingSwallow....
I thought about it and the Mullair is just another FA for me but much better looking, the graphics rock.
But what I need, for my age and riding needs is something for powder, groomers, carving and it does not have to be good at switch, jumps, park....
I just got back from Cervinia, no powder in sight but the groomers were in good condition and the Moss was pretty incredible so this will be now my go-to stick and my FA will be my back up.
Hope you have a great season but Europe is pretty sad...

Oh nice, have not seen one of those yet but sounds like an awesome deck. And thanks, it's been a decent start to our season over here thankfully, esp after such a dry one last winter. And ya, from Neni's posts on Trace, seems like rippers in Europe are aching for some. Def know exactly what that was like esp last szn. Hopefully you guys get dumped on soon enough

Happy Shredding
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GDimac is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Holland
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDimac View Post
Oh nice, have not seen one of those yet but sounds like an awesome deck. And thanks, it's been a decent start to our season over here thankfully, esp after such a dry one last winter. And ya, from Neni's posts on Trace, seems like rippers in Europe are aching for some. Def know exactly what that was like esp last szn. Hopefully you guys get dumped on soon enough
Things look grim for Europe... We have a trip planned for mid Feb to the Austrian Alps, better pray to the snow god!

Thanks for all the helpful advice and have a great season!
GDimac likes this.
Wss64 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome