The Official Michigan Winter Thread - Page 266 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #2651 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
weekday day sessions are almost guaranteed to be empty.

I've got Monday off next week but since it's a school holiday they will probably be more crowded than usual. I may take the opportunity to head up to Hawk Island that morning instead of MTH/PK
Bugger. Look forward to hearing about it.
__________________
'12 NS Legacy 163
Days on snow 2013/2014 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 14
  • Boyne Mountain: 1
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #2652 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,370
Default

Hello fellow Michigan riders. Obviously I am new here but wanted to say hello to you all. I'm west of Lansing but usually ride Caberfae or Crystal since my wife and I are originally from that area.

I am also a noob rider and only started a couple of years ago. I try to get out at least every other weekend (when weather/children/wife/other numerous responsibilities permit). I was stupid enough to hit Caberfae this past Sunday during the freezing rain they had and though it was pretty tricky riding, it was fast and fun.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #2653 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Hello fellow Michigan riders. Obviously I am new here but wanted to say hello to you all. I'm west of Lansing but usually ride Caberfae or Crystal since my wife and I are originally from that area.

I am also a noob rider and only started a couple of years ago. I try to get out at least every other weekend (when weather/children/wife/other numerous responsibilities permit). I was stupid enough to hit Caberfae this past Sunday during the freezing rain they had and though it was pretty tricky riding, it was fast and fun.
Hey, welcome to the forum. I'm a Lansing rider and this was my third season. Caberfae was my go-to the first couple of years also. It was cheap and I had lots of fun there. I never made it out there this season though, I ended up buying a pass to Boyne so that's where I usually went.

If you or the kids are interested in park riding, check out Hawk Island Snowpark in Lansing. They have stuff for beginners through advanced riders.

Celebration Cinema is showing Art of Flight 3D for a one time showing in Grand Rapids, they'll only do it if their demand is met. Looks like they need 60 more people. If you're interested, reserve a spot. THey won't charge you if they don't meet the goal.

Tugg - The Art of Flight: 3D in Grand Rapids, MI on Thursday, January 24, 7:30pm
__________________
'12 NS Legacy 163
Days on snow 2013/2014 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 14
  • Boyne Mountain: 1
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #2654 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Hello fellow Michigan riders. Obviously I am new here but wanted to say hello to you all. I'm west of Lansing but usually ride Caberfae or Crystal since my wife and I are originally from that area.

I am also a noob rider and only started a couple of years ago. I try to get out at least every other weekend (when weather/children/wife/other numerous responsibilities permit). I was stupid enough to hit Caberfae this past Sunday during the freezing rain they had and though it was pretty tricky riding, it was fast and fun.
Welcome!

I've got a season pass to Crystal but don't get up there as much any more since I also have a 9mo old daughter at home. I may be up there for a day next weekend (Jan 26/27 or thereabouts) maybe over Prez day weekend in Feb and probably a last hurrah in late March.

This thread on the forum is pretty active so don't be a stranger! Mostly metro-Detroiters but there's a few from around the state and we do try to coordinate who's going where & when so we can meet up.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #2655 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Welcome!

I've got a season pass to Crystal but don't get up there as much any more since I also have a 9mo old daughter at home. I may be up there for a day next weekend (Jan 26/27 or thereabouts) maybe over Prez day weekend in Feb and probably a last hurrah in late March.

This thread on the forum is pretty active so don't be a stranger! Mostly metro-Detroiters but there's a few from around the state and we do try to coordinate who's going where & when so we can meet up.
The last few days have looked beautiful from my perch on the couch. Seems like great days to get out there.
__________________
'12 NS Legacy 163
Days on snow 2013/2014 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 14
  • Boyne Mountain: 1
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #2656 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,370
Default

Thanks for the welcomes. Yeah I'm familiar with Hawk Island in general; I usually go there several times in the summer when I'm on my lunch break since I work in the general vicinity of it. Ironically, however, I haven't even seen the snow park setup. I was only going to start dabbling in park this year until a severe groin sprain from this fall has somewhat discouraged me from doing anything but cruising down the hill. I will check it out at some point this year though I'm sure.

I've gotten out to Crystal once this year a few days after Christmas and the riding was good. Caberfae I've hit twice and will be there again this weekend. One thing's for sure, any conditions going forward are going to kick the shit out of the ice I skated on this past Sunday.

I suppose I will go to Cannonsburg at least once, but we'll see. Doing Boyne Mountain and Nub's in early February and I'm positive I will be at Crystal and Caberfae a few more times before the season is out, so maybe I'll be able to meet up with some of you guys.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #2657 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,311
Default

If I get outta work early enough, gonna get out to PK.

Hey Sabatoa, dont suppose that pass to Boyne is transferable, eh?
(...nuthin' says "Friend" like trying to take advantage of anothers misfortune!)


Hope u r feeling a bit better!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #2658 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,311
Default

Well Got a couple hours in at Pine Knob! Wasn't too bad. Nobody there!
Tonight put me @ 20 days riding for the season so far!

Not a bad feat at this point, what with all the warm weather & no snow I would really like to break 40 days for the entire season!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #2659 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Thanks for the welcomes. Yeah I'm familiar with Hawk Island in general; I usually go there several times in the summer when I'm on my lunch break since I work in the general vicinity of it. Ironically, however, I haven't even seen the snow park setup. I was only going to start dabbling in park this year until a severe groin sprain from this fall has somewhat discouraged me from doing anything but cruising down the hill. I will check it out at some point this year though I'm sure.

I've gotten out to Crystal once this year a few days after Christmas and the riding was good. Caberfae I've hit twice and will be there again this weekend. One thing's for sure, any conditions going forward are going to kick the shit out of the ice I skated on this past Sunday.

I suppose I will go to Cannonsburg at least once, but we'll see. Doing Boyne Mountain and Nub's in early February and I'm positive I will be at Crystal and Caberfae a few more times before the season is out, so maybe I'll be able to meet up with some of you guys.
Sabatoa, his wife, and I were at Crystal Dec 29th. Yea, conditions were great... too bad it was a clusterfuck of people though. Still had tons of fun.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #2660 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,370
Default

Yeah we were there on the Thursday after Christmas (27th I think) and it actually wasn't that busy at all. I think there might have been a slight lull in the crowd before the weekend and after the holiday. By nighttime we basically had the first part of those runs to the right of the Clipper and Cheers all to ourselves, it was a good time. We are aiming for Feb 2nd to get up there again.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums