The Official Michigan Winter Thread - Page 279 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 105Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2781 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Just so everyone knows, Leo and I are arguing this over texts lol

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2782 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
Just so everyone knows, Leo and I are arguing this over texts lol
Nice...but I agree with Leo. If everyone traveled the same speed, you would be right though.
Karpediem is offline  
post #2783 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
Nice...but I agree with Leo. If everyone traveled the same speed, you would be right though.
eh, on jumps 10-20 feet I'm not sure the distance on the drop in is enough to cause much speed difference between riders from my experience.

I told Leo that I've hit 25-30 jumps between last season and this shortened season and only one time did I mess up the speed and that was when I didn't follow my own rules about looking where other people are dropping and gauging their speed/results. Unfortunately the one time was the last time and we all know how that worked out.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
post #2784 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
But Leo is right and I mentioned this at MTH that one day (not sure who was on the chair with me). The drop zone method only works for the first hit in a line of features. From that first drop you need to make sure you have the right speed for the first jump but also enough (or more than enough) to carry you through the rest of the line. After you land the first hit, you don't get to "drop" in again, you can only speed check at that point.

I'm not saying the drop method is useless because it's not, but what's more important (and what the drop method is a proxy for) is gauging speed. You should be able to know, regardless of where you dropped in, whether you have enough, not enough, or too much speed for the next jump. Dropping helps you gauge that speed and puts somewhat of an upper bound on it, but that's it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david_z is offline  
post #2785 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
I'm not arguing against your (and Leo's) point about a jump line but like I told him, it's apples and oranges because our original convo was about a single jump, not a jump line. I concede that each jump line is going to have it's own nuance and speed checks could absolutely be needed.

My point was only about a single jump. I have ZERO experience hitting a line.

This all started because I told him that you're better off finding out where your drop in is rather than doing a number of speed checks because then every time you hit that jump you're going to have to remember to get those same speed checks in. You're better off knowing where you should actually drop than relying on multiple checks leading up to your hit.


...and then of course on that very run I take my own advice and shit all over it and launch myself into next season. FML lol

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3

Last edited by sabatoa; 01-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
sabatoa is offline  
post #2786 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
and it's official I just passed Sabatoa with 15 days. Now if only I could catch up to Chomps...
david_z is offline  
post #2787 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
and it's official I just passed Sabatoa with 15 days. Now if only I could catch up to Chomps...
bahaha

You better believe I've been watching his number stagnate and was bitter because I could have caught up to him.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
post #2788 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
This:

Bro you take off like a damn F-16, holy crap.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
post #2789 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
I'm not arguing against your (and Leo's) point about a jump line but like I told him, it's apples and oranges because our original convo was about a single jump, not a jump line. I concede that each jump line is going to have it's own nuance and speed checks could absolutely be needed.

My point was only about a single jump. I have ZERO experience hitting a line.

This all started because I told him that you're better off finding out where your drop in is rather than doing a number of speed checks because then every time you hit that jump you're going to have to remember to get those same speed checks in. You're better off knowing where you should actually drop than relying on multiple checks leading up to your hit.


...and then of course on that very run I take my own advice and shit all over it and launch myself into next season. FML lol

Or just drop in real high and make the appropriate speed checks. It's not necessarily about making the exact same speed checks but knowing your board/speed/feel well enough to make the *right* speed checks and a good setup turn on to the lip, no matter where you drop from. Same result

You do have a point but like you said it's limited to one jump and that's it, after which you need to worry about speed checking.

The drop zone is a good starter tool and that's why the "watch where others drop and follow their line" method is always preached to beginners in the park. It is easy to emulate, and it works for the most part. But after you get good at that, the next step in your progression is to be able to gauge your speed and check as circumstances dictate (which as the tape shows, is not advice that I followed...)
david_z is offline  
post #2790 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Or just drop in real high and make the appropriate speed checks. It's not necessarily about making the exact same speed checks but knowing your board/speed/feel well enough to make the *right* speed checks and a good setup turn on to the lip, no matter where you drop from. Same result

You do have a point but like you said it's limited to one jump and that's it, after which you need to worry about speed checking.

The drop zone is a good starter tool and that's why the "watch where others drop and follow their line" method is always preached to beginners in the park. It is easy to emulate, and it works for the most part. But after you get good at that, the next step in your progression is to be able to gauge your speed and check as circumstances dictate (which as the tape shows, is not advice that I followed...)
I don't disagree with this. Leo and I were hitting a booter at Shanty, it was at the bottom of the run. I didn't come to a complete stop at the area I knew was the drop. I used the speed check method as I got to that point.

I was firmly still in the beginner category so it really helped me learn the right speeds using the drop zone method.

I think Leo ended the debate saying that we were both right...and then called me a stiff dick on a board or something.

lol

You doing OEB tomorrow? Jackie coming?

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
Reply

Tags
bksdds, chomps1121

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome