The Official Michigan Winter Thread - Page 332 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #3311 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default The Official Michigan Winter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Not to be "that guy" but I think you guys are mixing up your numbers or something... I don't even think it is possible for it to snow 15" per hour or 2' per hour.

The record for most snowfall in one 24 hour period was in CO with 75.8" in 1921.

The record I can find for highest snowfall rate is as follows:

2.4" in 15 min. - Oswego NY (1/26/1972)
4.8" in 30 min. - Oswego NY (1/26/1972)
9.1" in 60 min. - Oswego NY (1/26/1972)


And that is because of lake effect snow. 2" per hour coming down is a LOT of snow.
I meant 2" sorry. Tahoe gets lake effect for sure on top of elevation.

It was fresh tracks each trip back up to peak.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #3312 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
extra0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I meant 2" sorry. Tahoe gets lake effect for sure on top of elevation.

It was fresh tracks each trip back up to peak.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
wrong-o, mary lou. Lake Tahoe is only 22 miles long and, more importantly, only 12 miles wide. Lake effect snow takes a minimum of 62 miles of water/fetch.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #3313 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
wrong-o, mary lou. Lake Tahoe is only 22 miles long and, more importantly, only 12 miles wide. Lake effect snow takes a minimum of 62 miles of water/fetch.
From lake effect wiki

The Truckee Meadows and other parts of Northern Nevada which are normally in the rain shadow of the Sierra Nevada can, when conditions are right, have severe snowfall as a result of lake effect from Lake Tahoe. Recent severe examples of this phenomenon have occurred as recently as 2004, dumping several feet of snow in the normally dry region.
Karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #3314 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,233
Default

...if its on the interwebz or wikiwebz,.. MUST b true!!!!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #3315 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
extra0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
From lake effect wiki

The Truckee Meadows and other parts of Northern Nevada which are normally in the rain shadow of the Sierra Nevada can, when conditions are right, have severe snowfall as a result of lake effect from Lake Tahoe. Recent severe examples of this phenomenon have occurred as recently as 2004, dumping several feet of snow in the normally dry region.
I got my info off wiki, too, so there seems to be conflicting info on that page.

"when conditions are right". For reno to get lake effect snow, storms would need to come from pretty much due south (rare)...but, yeah, if that's the case, then I guess Heavenly could get the same from a severely angled northern storm.

I just can't believe 2 feet just from tahoe lake effect, when the great lakes fetches are like 10 times as long as lake tahoe, but only producing similar results (?...something's definitely wacky with that wiki page)

Last edited by extra0; 02-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #3316 (permalink)
Member
 
AngelaBabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 36
Default

Riding pk tomorrow morning
AngelaBabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #3317 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
I got my info off wiki, too, so there seems to be conflicting info on that page.

"when conditions are right". For reno to get lake effect snow, storms would need to come from pretty much due south (rare)...but, yeah, if that's the case, then I guess Heavenly could get the same from a severely angled northern storm.

I just can't believe 2 feet just from tahoe lake effect, when the great lakes fetches are like 10 times as long as lake tahoe, but only producing similar results (?...something's definitely wacky with that wiki page)
I didn't say just from lake effect. Possibly one of the reasons. Also, I said I made an error. 2 INCHES and hour, not feet. It was over 2ft of snow total. I swear it was more than 3. It was super deep in areas that people weren't riding on. My sister in-law sunk into a waist deep section. Here's a pic of her after she unstrapped and crawled out.



Also, note the date on there. I found this:

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.ph...1b11e77&ipod=y

Read those comments. That week, they got hit major. Like 8 feet of snow. I remember that season they had a monster dump one week. I think it was the same week we left. We got the front end of it. It was simply too epic to ever forget. I couldn't have asked for a better trip ender.



By the way, these pictures aren't hazy due to fog... it was due to snowfall. Yup, visibility was non-existent thanks to the amount of snow that was dumping down.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants

Last edited by Leo; 02-24-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #3318 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,368
Default

Went to Bittersweet today, conditions were great and no crowds until after lunch. Snowed lake effect all morning while we there and the Heritage rode great. No one got hurt so all in all we had a great day, despite finding a nail in my tire when I got home. Oh well at least we made it back.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #3319 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Went to Bittersweet today, conditions were great and no crowds until after lunch. Snowed lake effect all morning while we there and the Heritage rode great. No one got hurt so all in all we had a great day, despite finding a nail in my tire when I got home. Oh well at least we made it back.
That makes me

I will be there for a few hours tomorrow since I have some work in GR and Det this week. Getting up early to make some time for boarding before I get to my hotel.
kawicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #3320 (permalink)
Member
 
AngelaBabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 36
Default


New Edit
Angela Babin pine knob Box - YouTube
AngelaBabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums