The Official Michigan Winter Thread - Page 453 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 105Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #4521 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
Right but back in December that were already at 164 inches, not including whatever has fallen since then.

They must be packing that snow tight to only have a 30 inch base.

I know Dave has seen this but for anyone else; Bet You’ll Never Guess Which US Ski Resort Has The Most Snow So Far This Season
Yeah they're at 187" or something right now but that's never the amount of base they have. Shit gets tracked pretty quick I guess. I'd still expect a higher total (maybe the OTS data is not current?) but if it's taht really light powder, maybe not.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david_z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4522 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveycheesey View Post
I'm looking for some places to board at while I'm visiting Michigan and I'm wondering if i can get some suggestions as to places I can go. I'm staying in Redford for a month or so and don't have a board with me so a rental would be necessary. Outside of that I have everything else in terms of gear. Thanks!
Depends how far you're willing to drive there are 3 hills within 40 minutes of Redford (Pine Knob, Mt. Brighton, Alpine Valley). A fourth (Mt. Holly) is about an hour's drive.

I split my time among all four of these spots, and provide update/review current conditions each time out.

Post here when/where you decide to go, if any of us are heading out that way and our schedules coincide, you might not have to rent if you can hook up with one of us.

These are all relatively small hills, not sure where you're coming from or what you're expecting, but you probably will not be impressed unless you're from somewhere else in the Midwest with comparably sized hills.

There are a bunch of other options if you're looking for a weekend getaway or a longer trip. Mostly in the 3-4h drive, shot up I-75. These are bigger hills and full service resorts with hotels/condos/etc., but they're still quite small compared to Rockies or the East Coast mountains.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david_z is offline  
post #4523 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Depends how far you're willing to drive there are 3 hills within 40 minutes of Redford (Pine Knob, Mt. Brighton, Alpine Valley). A fourth (Mt. Holly) is about an hour's drive.

I split my time among all four of these spots, and provide update/review current conditions each time out.

Post here when/where you decide to go, if any of us are heading out that way and our schedules coincide, you might not have to rent if you can hook up with one of us.

These are all relatively small hills, not sure where you're coming from or what you're expecting, but you probably will not be impressed unless you're from somewhere else in the Midwest with comparably sized hills.

There are a bunch of other options if you're looking for a weekend getaway or a longer trip. Mostly in the 3-4h drive, shot up I-75. These are bigger hills and full service resorts with hotels/condos/etc., but they're still quite small compared to Rockies or the East Coast mountains.
The smaller Hills would be fine. I don't get out in the snow too much since I've been living in Florida haha. I'm thinking about trying to head out on Thursday after my new boots come in. I also found out that I don't have any goggles with me (I thought that I did) so would there be any good places to grab some goggles on the way to Pine Knob from Redford? I'm thinking that'll be the best choice for a hill out of those reviews you made at least unless there's someone else that would be heading to one of the other areas then I'd rather try and tag along with others!
steveycheesey is offline  
post #4524 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
david_z> 2013-2014 snow days: XⅤ

Don't you mean:

MMXIII-MMXIV snow days: XⅤ ?


Sooner or later your legs give way, you hit the ground.
MikeIn248 is offline  
post #4525 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveycheesey View Post
The smaller Hills would be fine. I don't get out in the snow too much since I've been living in Florida haha. I'm thinking about trying to head out on Thursday after my new boots come in. I also found out that I don't have any goggles with me (I thought that I did) so would there be any good places to grab some goggles on the way to Pine Knob from Redford? I'm thinking that'll be the best choice for a hill out of those reviews you made at least unless there's someone else that would be heading to one of the other areas then I'd rather try and tag along with others!
Pine Knob has a pro shop that probably has goggles, although I don't know what stock/availability they might have.

But there is a Boyne store right on the way, you'll drive right past it if you take Telegraph/Sq. Lake/I-75 to either Pine Knob to either Pine Knob or Mt. Holly.

As for which hill, Mt. Holly is my favorite in terms of terrain variety. The only reason I really ever go to Pine Knob is because they have a decent terrain park. If you ride park, go to Pine Knob. If you don't, then I'd say the extra 15-20 minute drive to Mt. Holly is worth it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david_z is offline  
post #4526 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIn248 View Post
david_z> 2013-2014 snow days: XⅤ

Don't you mean:

MMXIII-MMXIV snow days: XⅤ ?

Good one!!
david_z is offline  
post #4527 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,743
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveycheesey View Post
unless there's someone else that would be heading to one of the other areas then I'd rather try and tag along with others!
I'd love to but probably can't... this week has been an absolute shit show so far... our nanny left us on short notice last week (she was supposed to be with us through the end of this week), we were able to get our kid in to day care this week but they've been closed due to snow/frigid temps, wife & I both took a 1/2 day from work yesterday (which I had planned to use for my enjoyment of the 12" of snow we just got... grrrrrr), this morning I had to drive up to East Lansing to pick up my mother-in-law this morning and bring her back to babysit for a few days so my wife and I can go back to work, and I'll probably have to drive her back to EL on Thursday.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david_z is offline  
post #4528 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
I'd love to but probably can't... this week has been an absolute shit show so far... our nanny left us on short notice last week (she was supposed to be with us through the end of this week), we were able to get our kid in to day care this week but they've been closed due to snow/frigid temps, wife & I both took a 1/2 day from work yesterday (which I had planned to use for my enjoyment of the 12" of snow we just got... grrrrrr), this morning I had to drive up to East Lansing to pick up my mother-in-law this morning and bring her back to babysit for a few days so my wife and I can go back to work, and I'll probably have to drive her back to EL on Thursday.
And yet no word from Hawk about being open by Thursday.

I get them not being open today but no word at all...that's not cool. I know I've said this before but the lack of outrage is...weird.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
post #4529 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
And yet no word from Hawk about being open by Thursday.

I get them not being open today but no word at all...that's not cool. I know I've said this before but the lack of outrage is...weird.
More snow than I've ever fucking seen in Lansing and they aren't open yet. Really, really strange.

2015/16 Snow Days
  • Bittersweet: 2
  • Caberfae: 7
  • Crystal: 6
  • Boyne Mtn: 1
  • Boyne Highlands: 1
  • Nub's Nob: 1
  • Keystone: 1
  • Winter Park: 2
trapper is offline  
post #4530 of 6568 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 6,237
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Pine Knob has a pro shop that probably has goggles, although I don't know what stock/availability they might have.

But there is a Boyne store right on the way, you'll drive right past it if you take....

...As for which hill, Mt. Holly is my favorite in terms of terrain variety. The only reason I really ever go to Pine Knob is because they have a decent terrain park. If you ride park, go to Pine Knob. If you don't, then I'd say the extra 15-20 minute drive to Mt. Holly is worth it.
^this^

I like Holly better for terrain & trails, but it's crowded as fuck on the weekends and lifts are sloooow! Mid week? Light crowd? It's Awesome! On weekends I prefer PK myself! (...but I don't do park, so take that into account!)

It's been a while since I was in that part of town, but IIR, from Redford you can get right on I-75 to go straight up to PK or Holly. Although, if the weather & roads r bad? Take telegraph all the way up. For whatever reason, I-75 usually turns into a REAL shit show in weather. Almost always has multiple accidents F'ing things. Telegraph takes longer, but usually moves pretty well!

If you're looking for "good" quality goggles, yeah! Boyne Mt Sports or REI, even larger Dick's stores have good variety to choose from. If you only need a cheap pair to get you thru? Go to Dick's & spend $20-$30! Boyne store @ woodward & squarelake is HIGH priced cuz of the neighborhood!

If I was going to be around this week, I'd sell you my old pair of Scott cheapies for $15! Used only for my first 1/4 season! (might still b overpriced!)

You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-07-2014 at 01:14 PM.
chomps1211 is online now  
Reply

Tags
bksdds, chomps1121

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome