Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Well, I sat here looking at the forum at 6 pm tonight and decided I'd rather snowboard than read and post about it. So I said fuck it, threw my gear together and drove to Cannonsburg. Only took me 45 minutes to get there, will probably go again (had not been there since my first time ever riding and that was only the bunny hill). Had a good time.
I learned a few things:
1. Don't ride down unlit trails at night if you are unfamiliar with the place. Especially narrowish black diamonds.
2. If you do make this mistake, you literally can't see anything and have to revert to your blindfolded Kung Fu/Jedi training to feel your way in the dark. Especially if you are stupid enough not to slow down.
3. Feelings of free falling as you hit a steep section that you didn't know was there are indications of actual free falling as your board detaches from the ground momentarily. This feeling is both more terrifying and more fun when you literally can't see anything.
4. Icy unkept patches are difficult to negotiate when you can't see them and anticipate them. But if you relax it is amazingly doable.
5. I am a better rider than I give myself credit for because I managed not to fall during this mistake I made.
Don't worry, I knew there was no one else on that run. First off it was closed, secondly we were the only ones using this lift when it happened.
Drinking the Kool-Aid:
NS Heritage 166X