The Official Michigan Winter Thread - Page 511 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #5101 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
Ok, just see when it gets closer then.
Gahhh. yeah. this is the time of year when the wife's patients starts wearing thing. Unfortunate, because it is also the time of year when you need to be able to seize whatever remains... Next few weeks probably as much locally as I can get away with. I was really hoping to swing 2 wknds in March but doesn't look like that's gonna happen...

I am looking at up north -- somewhere, which could be anywhere from Crystal to Boyne to Bohemia or down in to the E-ville area in New York -- over the weekend of 3/22. I want to do a meet-up but I also want to leave my options open in the event that I can last-minute to Boho.

Last weekend in March we have some family thing on Sunday. Hoping that Pine Knob may still be open, if not, I will probably be at Hawk. Following weekend is Zoey's birthday party, so that will keep me at Hawk, which is sure to be the only place south of Cadillac still open.

If the rest of the season holds cooler-than-average temps, then I think last year's closing dates would be a good model. I would expect Crystal and Boyne Mountain to remain open at least on weekends only, well in to April. I am also banking on Boho remaining open. So, April 12 is my snowball's chance in hell last ditch effort to maybe get there this year...
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #5102 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,310
Default

Dunno Dave. You reallythink Bohemia is worth the trouble for warmed, packed, un-groomed snow? Seems the POW on their terrain is the entire attraction there. Be a shame to waste a long assed drive for sub par conditions. There Might still be a good dump or two for them between now and April! I have an idea that after April, proly not so much. At least probably not a big POW event anyway. Maybe some wet cement storms.
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #5103 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Dunno Dave. You reallythink Bohemia is worth the trouble for warmed, packed, un-groomed snow? Seems the POW on their terrain is the entire attraction there. Be a shame to waste a long assed drive for sub par conditions. There Might still be a good dump or two for them between now and April! I have an idea that after April, proly not so much. At least probably not a big POW event anyway. Maybe some wet cement storms.
Yeah I mean, probably not. If it's spring corn then maybe tolerable, or, at least would be an adventure.

One alternative at this point would be to try and plan a group meetup at Boyne Mountain in April, instead of March. Given the snow they have received thus far, it seems a near-certainty that they will be open well in to April again as they were last year.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #5104 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 3,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Yeah I mean, probably not. If it's spring corn then maybe tolerable, or, at least would be an adventure.

One alternative at this point would be to try and plan a group meetup at Boyne Mountain in April, instead of March. Given the snow they have received thus far, it seems a near-certainty that they will be open well in to April again as they were last year.

Yeah, I was up there the 24th of April last year and they didn't get shit for snow until the very end of the season. This year they've got more base than they had total snowfall last year. So being open in April is likely a given. (...I hope!!)

I'm hoping there's a chance they might stay open into May, at least for weekends. My little riding buddy will be visiting from Germany on the 13th. I was hoping to get in a day or two of riding when she's here.


So no chance of harpooning your white whale for you in March eh?

*edit*
Wish I knew somebody on the forum or that I met on the hill that could go for something like that on short notice right after or before seeing an incoming Storm!. It's just too far (...and expensive.) to go for a 3-4 day weekend unless there's somebody to split driving and cost! Otherwise I'd go in a heartbeat.
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 03-03-2014 at 11:26 AM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #5105 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Yeah, I was up there the 24th of April last year and they didn't get shit for snow until the very end of the season. This year they've got more base than they had total snowfall last year. So being open in April is likely a given. (...I hope!!)
From what I can tell, they were really stoked on the turnout throughout the month of April. I guess being the only resort open probably helps but at this point I'd think it would take some sort of cataclysmic weather event to prevent them from being open at least through April 13. After that, they did weekends only until 4/28 IIRC. I anticipate the same this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
I'm hoping there's a chance they might stay open into May, at least for weekends. My little riding buddy will be visiting from Germany on the 13th. I was hoping to get in a day or two of riding when she's here.
That would be really unprecedented. Would be cool/novel, but by that time can't imagine the snow would be too good. On a related note, guy I know up in Glen Arbor says he has hiked The Homestead hills in May as they often retain skiable snow for some time, because it's right on the lake and temps stay pretty low there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
So no chance of harpooning your white whale for you in March eh?
I mean, I might still just say fuck the meetup in March and try to plan one in April. Then I would plan on going Boho on 3/23 weekend, only falling back to plan B at Crystal/etc. if the weather is unfavorable up in the Yoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Wish I knew somebody on the forum or that I met on the hill that could go for something like that on short notice right after or before seeing an incoming Storm!. It's just too far (...and expensive.) to go for a 3-4 day weekend unless there's somebody to split driving and cost! Otherwise I'd go in a heartbeat.
That's the trouble with it, man. It's sooo far away and the conditions so variable that it's hard for me to commit precious vacation time to such uncertainties.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #5106 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Crystal Mountain just confirmed slopes remaining open until April 12.

Expect Boyne Mountain to follow suit.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #5107 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West of Lansing
Posts: 1,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Crystal Mountain just confirmed slopes remaining open until April 12.
Fuck I just got that email, was coming in here to post the exact thing!
__________________
2013/2014 Season
Crystal: 12
Cannonsburg: 4
Caberfae: 3
Boyne Highlands: 2
Bittersweet: 1
Boyne Mountain: 1
Holly: 1
Nub's Nob: 1

Drinking the Kool-Aid:
2013 NS Heritage 166X
2014 Union Factory
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #5108 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

I still don't think I will hit 50 days, but it might be down to the wire I am at 32 right now...

I will have to be very creative with my flex time at work...

The problem is once PK/Brighton shut down, the only place I can easily ride midweek is Hawk Island which doesn't open until 2pm, and I don't like having to drive home on I-96/I-696 in rush hour. With the other places, I usually go in the early morning and work a partial day in the afternoon.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #5109 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 114
Default

I'm at 43 now. I should get another 10 or so. Maybe more if I head north.
supham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #5110 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,398
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Normally I hate these voting contests but the pic of Tyler dominating this kinked/elbow rail is pretty legit, and they have a good shot at winning or at least coming in the top 3, which gets them a trip to Park City.

So, if you're so inclined go cast a vote for Tyler & Dom's pic here:

Woobox Offer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ty.jpg (173.1 KB, 33 views)
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums