Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
- Music Discussion (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/music-discussion/)
- - Best show you've ever been to? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/music-discussion/80242-best-show-youve-ever-been.html)
Best show you've ever been to?
What's the best show you guys have ever been to? I don't care what type of music, just something that REALLY stands out, and why?
I'll give mine a bit down the line, I have a few...
I'm not a huge concert-goer, never really was even when I was younger (although I did go to more back then than I do now), but there are a few that stand out:
* Metallica - when on tour for Load my friend Bobby called me up and was like, "Hey, I have tix to Metallica tonight and I need a ride". He was only 14 and I was probably the only kid in our neighborhood with a driver's license at the time. We missed half of the opening act, which IIRC was Corrosion of Conformity but saw all of Metallica and the dudes in front of us were literally passing a bag full of joints up and down the aisle. Good times.
* Rage Against the Machine -- I think this was 1996. It was the year before they toured with Wu-Tang. At Cobo Hall in Detroit. We had floor seats which we had gotten for free on account of the lady at Ticketmaster handed us our money back when she printed out the tickets, and being punk kids, we didn't say anything just kept our money and the tickets. Such an energetic show, truly amazing watching those guys jam out, live, and since they don't synth anything on their albums the live sound is really true. Kids were storming the floor when they went on stage. Security was overwhelmed. All of a sudden we're just getting smashed closer and closer to the stage and then that sting of pepper spray that they were using for crowd control.
* There was a Warped Tour back probably in like 1999 or 2000 at the Phoenix Center in Pontiac, MI. Met the owner of Vans (a buddy of mine knew him from growing up in Cali), he comped us some backstage passes, got my Sublime t-shirt autographed by Opie from Long Beach Dub. Local favorites, The Suicide Machines had split headline for that tour date, so that was pretty cool. A friend's band played on one of the minor stages. Dropkick Murphys, Greenday, AFI, Pennywise, GVSB, No Use For a Name, NOFX, shit I don't even remember all the bands that were there but it was a killer billing.
* Kid Rock puts on a pretty rad show even though I am not a super fan of his especially his newer stuff, but seeing him play in the D is pretty rad.
* Also saw Springsteen at Comerica Park a few years ago. Dude played a 3 hour set list. No opening act, just the E-Street band. Not my "favorite" show of all time, but worth mentioning.
Fugazi with Shotmaker and Okara at Carleton University. After that it would be The Beastie Boys on the Ill Communication tour. Bad Brains were supposed to open but cancelled last second so we got a 3 hour Beasties set.Primus put on a damn good show too.
Saw Metallica on the "Live shit - Binge and Purge" tour years ago and it was awesome.
I've seen Rush seven times (will be 8 after I seem them this summer) and they never fail to impress.
I used to go to lots of shows, haven't been to one for @ least 5 years though.:thumbsdown:
Saw the Beastie boys 3 times. They headlined @ Lollapalooza one year.
A huge pack of of us went together, it was epic.
The Beastie Boys were the last band of the night. When they shut it down & killed the music, everyone just chanted "Beas-tie Boys" which seemed like hours @ the time.
After being quiet for a while, all three of them ran from behind the stage & jumped of boxes or speakers?
I'm not exactly sure what they jumped off, but they all landed @ the same time.
Mmmmmm..... Drop :yahoo: Booom.
It was pandemonium, the place went mental. I swear it was like old Beatles clips you see, when chicks can't even control themselves.
Except it was everyone.
Drugs might of had something to do with it:dunno::rolleyes:
But without a doubt, THE best show I've ever been to.
I almost didn't go cause I really wasn't a big fan of this freak, although there are a few songs of his I like.
On top of that, I had partied the whole night before. I just wanted to go to bed.
The tickets were free so we weren't losing any money.
My girlfriend @ the time was the manager @ one of those music stores, HMV maybe?
Bed, I just wanted my bed. I ended up falling a sleep during the opening act, even though it was deafening.
Then freak boy came out.
I don't know if this guy can even play an instrument, I never seen him.
So I don't think you can call him a musician?
But what he is, is a SHOWMAN. That little weirdo was born to be out in front of people.
He had arm & leg stilts, that he had mastered. I've never seen anyone move around as fast, nimble & creepy.
He must have thousands of hours on those things.
For years I wanted a set of them.
He was pulling chicks out of the audience & dry humpin' em'.
They were so scared, I guess @ first they thought it was going to be awesome?
They were wrong, they were screaming, freakin' out & he was not letting them up.
Is that freak still around?
If so & you have a chance to go see him, do it.
Then there was Pennywise, @ a Snowjam to boot.:bowdown:
Middle of summer, huge big air jump, successfully got my liquor in.
Bro Hymn, that is the ultimate sing along song.
When tens of thousands of people all start singing, it's fuckin' incredible.
My eyes just welled up from reminiscing about it.
Every year that song means more & more to me.
With more than a hand full of family & friends passing away in the past 2 years. (single parent mom & my father figure Grampa, 2 months apart)
I can't listen to that song without getting all teary eyed.
It goes 2wice on every media device I have.
Here just substitute a loved ones name in here & start singing along.
Bro hymn-Pennywise - YouTube
I'm about too, you should too.
Been to lots of great shows….the best were in the Zoo Bar 1975-1989
Hot for the blues? Lincoln's Zoo Bar delivers | NewsNetNebraska
MAGIC SLIM ZOO BAR 1982 - YouTube!
Everybody's Rockin' at the Zoo Bar | Venue History | Hear Nebraska
Got to see the likes….these days no love for the blues and lots of folks probably have no clue but I started going at the ripe age of 16 to the bar and most shows were $1-5 dollars for 3 set shows in a 125 capacity bar...I'm in the Magic Slim footy.
Albert Collins (lots)
Champion Jack Dupree
Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets
James Harman Band
Magic Slim and the Teardrops
Little Charlie and Nightcats
Robert Jr Lockwood
Matt Guitar Murphy
Big Walter Horton
Big Joe Williams
Mighty Joe Young
Long John Baldry
Big Mama Thornton
edit: I realize I probably should explain more. I saw the Deftones, Alice in Chains, and Mastodon a couple years ago at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto. We had awesome seats, about 10 rows back in the 200 section. AiC and Deftones were alternating who headlined, and AiC ended up headlining our show. They were really good but Deftones stole it. Chino's stage presence is intoxicating, my GF is a mellow rock girl and even she was bouncing around all over the place having a great time!!! Best sound, feel, and music I've ever seen at a show...
this thread is turning out awesome...
My best show was when I lived in Bristol in the UK for a few years ago and was fortunate enough to go to a benefit gig for the '04 boxing day tsunami.
it was Massive Attack & Portishead playing on the same lineup for the first time ever in their hometown, Portishead's first live show in about 5 years and the support act was Robert Plant from Led Zep. such an amazing evening!
a close second was in November of last year. flew to Melbourne from NZ to see Radiohead play and when i arrived i found out that The Refused were playing the night before. the gig was sold out already but i managed to score a ticket from someone a couple of hours beforehand. i think i was more stoked with The Refused than Radiohead 'cos i never thought i'd get the chance to see them live!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.