Never Summer Raptor Review - Carving on Groomers - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
canmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Poland
Posts: 12
Default Never Summer Raptor Review - Carving on Groomers

Hey there,

Here are some of my thoughts about NS Raptor and carving on groomers, originally posted on my blog: MeGustaSport - Never Summer Raptor Snowboard Review:

What I like:

+ Easy to find the edge
+ Quick edge change
+ Pop - just right. It helps you out of the turn, great for the little jump between the carves.
+ Flex - the board is easy to flex and it's easy to change the radius of the turn while riding
+ Turn radius - easy to control, perfect for shorter blue and red runs as well as crowded slopes
+ Feels really light on the feet
+ Makes good trenches in the snow
+ It allows relaxed casual riding

What I don't like:
- Torsional stiffness - Raptor does not hold the perfect edge on the steep black runs.
- Too narrow - I've booted out in few turns, specially on the steeps. When I have the opportunity, I'll try the Raptor X model.

Summary:
Great, if you want to take a single board on a family skiing trip. It is truly one of most versatile boards around.
For soft-boot carving on groomed slopes - Raptor is OK, but there are better boards.

Setup:

- Flux SF45 Bndings
- Angles 33/18
- Stance 52cm
- Boots Vans Aura
- Raider Weight 75kg







__________________
carve /ka:v/ (v) - to engrave or cut figures as an art, hobby, or trade.
I love carving on the snow. It's my art. It's my hobby. It's my trade.

MeGustaSport
canmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,024
Default

Great to see actual carves (trenches) by someone talking about carving (an inflationary used term). Gonna borrow one of your pics from time to time

I think I stumbled over one of your takes on the Coal as well... which leads me want to stress one little detail that is a bit hidden in your review and of which I think is a very nice + of the Raptor: very nice dampening in uneven terrain/crud.
__________________
Jones Flagship 158, Ride Farah 153, Jones Solution wmn 156, Rad Air Jewel 159.5, Jones Mothership 156
Ride Fame, Burton Escapade, Spark Afterburner

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
canmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Poland
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
I think I stumbled over one of your takes on the Coal as well... which leads me want to stress one little detail that is a bit hidden in your review and of which I think is a very nice + of the Raptor: very nice dampening in uneven terrain/crud.
Thanks Neni,

Didn't test it in those conditions - can't tell. I only mention stuff i actually KNOW about. Real pictures, real riding. I never read the marketing blah blah before testing boards and even if I do - I do not take it seriously...

I hope to get more time on Raptor soon and test it in other conditions. We're having a difficult winter around here...

Cheers
Bart
__________________
carve /ka:v/ (v) - to engrave or cut figures as an art, hobby, or trade.
I love carving on the snow. It's my art. It's my hobby. It's my trade.

MeGustaSport

Last edited by canmanski; 01-19-2014 at 05:56 AM.
canmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
dcrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 33
Default

Curious what size boots you run?
dcrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
canmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Poland
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrides View Post
Curious what size boots you run?
I use Vans Aura MP 26.5 (US 8.5) boots.
__________________
carve /ka:v/ (v) - to engrave or cut figures as an art, hobby, or trade.
I love carving on the snow. It's my art. It's my hobby. It's my trade.

MeGustaSport
canmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
The Chairman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 260
Default

Great review Canmanski and pics. Awesome to see someone railing turns like that. I especially love the 3rd picture with the swooping heelside carve line.


Funny you mentioned that, you were on the same page as us. Everything you don't like about the Raptor we've addressed with our new Chairman.

-"Torsional stiffness - Raptor does not hold the perfect edge on the steep black runs." By adding a massive Carbon X (heel to toe) in the mid-section of the board on top of the core and long Carbon V's on the bottom, the Chairman is stiffer torsionally and holds an edge better in a long turn and the steeps than a Rpator.
- "Too narrow - I've booted out in few turns, specially on the steeps. When I have the opportunity, I'll try the Raptor X model." Even with an 8.5 someone carving hard as you do will boot out, imagine someone riding a regular width board with a 10.5 or 11. We increased the width even on the on all sizes of the chairman. I was one to never ride wider boards being under the assumption that they are sluggish edge to edge and I ride an forward angled stance. With agile feel of Rocker/Camber combined with the progressive verison of Vario Power Grip Sidecut on the Chairman I don't need the narrower board for quick response and have the extra width to eliminate booting out in a hard heel side carve.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
canmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Poland
Posts: 12
Default

The Chairman (person!),

I am so looking forward to riding The Chairman (board!) and reviewing it.
Sounds like you made something I'm going to enjoy...

Cheers
Bart
__________________
carve /ka:v/ (v) - to engrave or cut figures as an art, hobby, or trade.
I love carving on the snow. It's my art. It's my hobby. It's my trade.

MeGustaSport
canmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chairman View Post
Great review Canmanski and pics. Awesome to see someone railing turns like that. I especially love the 3rd picture with the swooping heelside carve line.


Funny you mentioned that, you were on the same page as us. Everything you don't like about the Raptor we've addressed with our new Chairman.

-"Torsional stiffness - Raptor does not hold the perfect edge on the steep black runs." By adding a massive Carbon X (heel to toe) in the mid-section of the board on top of the core and long Carbon V's on the bottom, the Chairman is stiffer torsionally and holds an edge better in a long turn and the steeps than a Rpator.
- "Too narrow - I've booted out in few turns, specially on the steeps. When I have the opportunity, I'll try the Raptor X model." Even with an 8.5 someone carving hard as you do will boot out, imagine someone riding a regular width board with a 10.5 or 11. We increased the width even on the on all sizes of the chairman. I was one to never ride wider boards being under the assumption that they are sluggish edge to edge and I ride an forward angled stance. With agile feel of Rocker/Camber combined with the progressive verison of Vario Power Grip Sidecut on the Chairman I don't need the narrower board for quick response and have the extra width to eliminate booting out in a hard heel side carve.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Vince,

Super stoked on the Chairman, (and its split cousin.)

Any reason for the size jump from 164 to 173? I am really considering going to larger decks after spending some time on my 166 Blaho bros split. I know you will have more sizes in the wide option, but I would love to get a Chairman in the 166-169 size range (reg width). I think a lot of riders who want a board like this with the larger sidecut and directional profile would also prefer something in that size range.

Given the larger sidecut, doesn't that increase the waist width automatically, all other things being equal? (aka the Furberg effect) I notice the tip and tail widths are relatively narrow. Are the underfoot widths similar to previous models?

Thanks
FrankH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canmanski View Post
Thanks Neni,

Didn't test it in those conditions - can't tell. I only mention stuff i actually KNOW about. Real pictures, real riding. I never read the marketing blah blah before testing boards and even if I do - I do not take it seriously...

I hope to get more time on Raptor soon and test it in other conditions. We're having a difficult winter around here...

Cheers
Bart
Nice review Where were you riding?
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canmanski View Post
The Chairman (person!),

I am so looking forward to riding The Chairman (board!) and reviewing it.
Sounds like you made something I'm going to enjoy...

Cheers
Bart
Off topic, but since I bet you're one of the few here who'd know, what are your thoughts on the Donek Razor?
__________________
Looking forward to the season
SO much stoke, so little snow.
Deacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums