Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT - Page 44 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #431 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just if anyone needs more perspective; I'm 5'11, 200 pounds and ride a 160cm Proto. I feel it runs like a 156/157. You can huck it, throw it, spin it, kick it, bonk it. Don't be afraid to increase size because if you like the park approach, the size won't be inhibiting your progress. For powder conditions, this board is fantastic. You just need to work a little harder on the back leg.
JVee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #432 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
 
tekniq33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I go this route I am in between as well. at 6'2", 185 I am leaning towards the 157.
tekniq33 is offline  
post #433 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVee View Post
Just if anyone needs more perspective; I'm 5'11, 200 pounds and ride a 160cm Proto. I feel it runs like a 156/157. You can huck it, throw it, spin it, kick it, bonk it. Don't be afraid to increase size because if you like the park approach, the size won't be inhibiting your progress. For powder conditions, this board is fantastic. You just need to work a little harder on the back leg.
What size boots/stance are you running?
kckboard is offline  
post #434 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
MeanJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I posted the following opinion in this thread and thought it might be helpful for those considering the Proto CT.

I've had my Proto CT 157 for a bit over a week in my office sitting right next to my NeverSummer SL 155. As I've gazed longingly at them side-by-side and prayed for an early winter, I've noticed that not only is the Proto a couple centimeters longer (155 SL vs. 157 Proto) but the Proto appears to be very much a larger board than the 157 designation. By that I mean that the difference between the two looks to be more than the 2 centimeters that the sizing would imply. I think this may be somewhat just perception over reality because the other thing I've noticed, the 157 seems to actually in fact be a larger board (say a 160) with a few centimeters cut off of the nose/tail to make the blunt shape. I know they don't actually cut down a larger board during manufacturing but the Proto's geometry, especially the longer effective edge of a standard board of the same size, makes the board seem like larger board that has been "blunted down" to a 157 length.

I've been honestly wondering if I made the wrong decision to get a 157 instead of a 154. I'm a bit large for a smaller board but the SL 155 has held up okay at my current weight. My concern was with a softer flexing board and my current weight that a 154 might be too small. Now, considering my observations comparing the two side-by-side I'm not so sure. If those observations are somewhat correct and a 154 would in fact be more equivalent to a 156-157 with the tip/tail cut off then perhaps I would have been better off with the 154.
MeanJoe is offline  
post #435 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVee View Post
Just if anyone needs more perspective; I'm 5'11, 200 pounds and ride a 160cm Proto. I feel it runs like a 156/157. You can huck it, throw it, spin it, kick it, bonk it. Don't be afraid to increase size because if you like the park approach, the size won't be inhibiting your progress. For powder conditions, this board is fantastic. You just need to work a little harder on the back leg.

Hmmmmm

Could you please describe yourself as a rider?
I`m 6'1, 220pounds, 10.5 and I am considering to buy a 157.

What do you think ?
RogiH is offline  
post #436 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
I posted the following opinion in this thread and thought it might be helpful for those considering the Proto CT.

I've had my Proto CT 157 for a bit over a week in my office sitting right next to my NeverSummer SL 155. As I've gazed longingly at them side-by-side and prayed for an early winter, I've noticed that not only is the Proto a couple centimeters longer (155 SL vs. 157 Proto) but the Proto appears to be very much a larger board than the 157 designation. By that I mean that the difference between the two looks to be more than the 2 centimeters that the sizing would imply. I think this may be somewhat just perception over reality because the other thing I've noticed, the 157 seems to actually in fact be a larger board (say a 160) with a few centimeters cut off of the nose/tail to make the blunt shape. I know they don't actually cut down a larger board during manufacturing but the Proto's geometry, especially the longer effective edge of a standard board of the same size, makes the board seem like larger board that has been "blunted down" to a 157 length.

I've been honestly wondering if I made the wrong decision to get a 157 instead of a 154. I'm a bit large for a smaller board but the SL 155 has held up okay at my current weight. My concern was with a softer flexing board and my current weight that a 154 might be too small. Now, considering my observations comparing the two side-by-side I'm not so sure. If those observations are somewhat correct and a 154 would in fact be more equivalent to a 156-157 with the tip/tail cut off then perhaps I would have been better off with the 154.
Hey, how much do you weigh and how tall are you?
Lians60 is offline  
post #437 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wanaka
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lians60 View Post
Hey, how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

I am 5'11 & 180lbs, have been riding my Proto 157 for the past couple of months, in all snow conditions all over the mountain. This size is ideal for me.
crispynz1 is offline  
post #438 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Kuragari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 175lbs and ride a 152. I bought it with the intention of getting into a bit more park, I have a 155 SL for everything else.

Finally got to ride it a few weeks ago. Didn't notice any problems with stability when I was riding it, and being the usual weather conditions in Australia, it was fairly choppy and icey. Coming from the SL the Proto was fun to press and play around on. Took me a day to get used to duck stance as I normally rock a forward stance on the SL. I wouldn't have minded a slightly deeper sidecut, as to be honest I felt like I could get shorter turns out of the 155 SL, but that may or may not have been simply due to getting use to a different board. On the other hand, this board loves to go straight, so maybe turning is a moot point anyway?
Kuragari is offline  
post #439 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
MeanJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lians60 View Post
Hey, how much do you weigh and how tall are you?
5'9" and 220
MeanJoe is offline  
post #440 of 925 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I've decided I'm going with a 160. At 6'2" 215lbs I think it will be a good fit. As I stated earlier i'm about 70% mountain/30% park....mainly jumps, but a few rails every now and then. With a size 12 boot do I need the wide board or could I fit on a regular without toe drag? Any opinion is welcomed!
kckboard is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome