Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT - Page 50 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #491 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
MeanJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagePree View Post
Just received my Proto (white base) -- very excited, but I noticed that mines does not have "NS" on the base, unlike like Leo's pictures.


In any case, the carbonium topsheet is just gorgeous.
I have the black base and it also does not have the NS as seen in other decks. I seem to vaguely recall when I toured the NS factory early this year, they commented that they were having some challenges with that part and that the final design may change. Then again, my memory maybe faulty.

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #492 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
I have the black base and it also does not have the NS as seen in other decks. I seem to vaguely recall when I toured the NS factory early this year, they commented that they were having some challenges with that part and that the final design may change. Then again, my memory maybe faulty.

MeanJoe
I picked mine up last month. Black base, white eagle, red NS.
crispy5 is offline  
post #493 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchijajonshim View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think his concern might be what reference stance is. Without micro adjustments your options are either to go up/down 1.5" inches in stance width or 3/4" if you're willing to / want to mess with reference set-back. I would have similar concerns if I had Reflex bindings... enough that I might switch them out for Forum "good vibes" discs (which do have micro adjustment front-to-back but are hinged).

Reference on the 157 Proto and my 158 SL is 21.5". Assuming a 155 Proto has the same insert widths (not 100% sure on that, but seems reasonable), your options with a centered stance and Reflex bindings would be 20", 21.5", 23", and 24.5".
Thanks, I appritiate that.
ukaszeklp is offline  
post #494 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just received my 158 Proto CTX and it came with a black base.
JRZBoarder is offline  
post #495 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nice, looks like everyone is getting the black base. I hope by the time I get one, there will still be some left.
TheCity is offline  
post #496 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I would have preferred the white base actually, but I guess a plus with the black is that it's easier to see the wax.

It seems like a very well built board. Some people say they don't like the top sheet, but I think it looks great. The topsheet also seems like it will resist scratches very well. It's a really light board, noticeably lighter then my current 10' Burton Custom. As people said it is a bigger board than the sizes would have you believe just because of the blunted ends and how long the effect edge is. My 158 seems like it's more of a 162 with a short tip and tail to bring it down to 158. Makes me wonder if I should have gone with the 155 since I was in between at 180lbs. If your using it for more park I would go a size smaller then you normally would. I'm using it for all mountain so the extra 'length' will be a bonus. Everyones been right on with the flex. NS says 5, but I'd say a little more. This is my first reverse camber board so while the flex is in the 5-6 range it does flex more then camber boards I've been on with a 5 rating.

My only regret is that now I'm going to be totured for 3 months until the season starts here.
JRZBoarder is offline  
post #497 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZBoarder View Post
I think I would have preferred the white base actually, but I guess a plus with the black is that it's easier to see the wax.
Eh. Repairs will be less noticeable. I've also heard it said that black bases run faster, but that's a hard proposition to test.
kimchijajonshim is online now  
post #498 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Size question

I am 6'2 190lbs. I ride 70% groomers and backcountry, 30% park (mostly jumps). I wear a size 11-11(1/2) boot. I wanted to know if a 157 Proto or a 160 would be recommended for me. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for bindings for all mountain riding to pair with this board? (Flux or Union)? Thanks for the help guys.
zivicIRL is offline  
post #499 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivicIRL View Post
I am 6'2 190lbs. I ride 70% groomers and backcountry, 30% park (mostly jumps). I wear a size 11-11(1/2) boot. I wanted to know if a 157 Proto or a 160 would be recommended for me. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for bindings for all mountain riding to pair with this board? (Flux or Union)? Thanks for the help guys.
My stats are somewhat similar (5'11", 190 lb). For future reference, I wouldn't group groomers and backcountry together... very different kinds of riding. I'm in a similar predicament. I actually have the 157 in my possession but may opt for the 160 instead. My gut feeling is that if you want zippier board for short radius turns in trees, probably the 157; if you're looking more for long drawn out carves, probably the 160. I go back and forth by the day, but I'm leaning 160.

If your boots are 1:1 lasted (some companies use 1 size shell for 2 sizes, some companies have a different size shell for every half size), I'd lean go 160 or the 158 CTX Wide if you end up 11.5s. That's barring getting a more low profile boot, in which case you can rock either.
kimchijajonshim is online now  
post #500 of 925 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchijajonshim View Post
My stats are somewhat similar (5'11", 190 lb). For future reference, I wouldn't group groomers and backcountry together... very different kinds of riding. I'm in a similar predicament. I actually have the 157 in my possession but may opt for the 160 instead. My gut feeling is that if you want zippier board for short radius turns in trees, probably the 157; if you're looking more for long drawn out carves, probably the 160. I go back and forth by the day, but I'm leaning 160.

If your boots are 1:1 lasted (some companies use 1 size shell for 2 sizes, some companies have a different size shell for every half size), I'd lean go 160 or the 158 CTX Wide if you end up 11.5s. That's barring getting a more low profile boot, in which case you can rock either.
Hey dude thanks for the fast reply. I didn't mean to group both the two together, just meant that i enjoy both styles of riding. On some more specifics.. im riding more in Mammoth and Tahoe where tree runs and groomers call for a little sharper of turns. Also, as far as shell sizes go not too familiar however im planning on getting new boots this season and was looking at the Nike Zoom Kaiju. Any more input would be great. And in your opinion how much overhang is "acceptable". Thanks again
zivicIRL is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome