Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT - Page 69 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #681 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
swilber08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo View Post
Would you guys recommend the 160 ct or the 158 ctx for a 12 size boot 190lbs?
ty
158 ctx would be better
__________________
2010 Flow Quantum Scotty Lago 155w
2010 Flow M9-SE Bindings


swilber08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #682 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I had the 2008 SL 155, 2009 SL 155(first season with reverse camber tech) and have demoed the 2012 Proto CT 154 and SL 153 and 155. I'm 5'9" 160 lbs (darn holiday food).

Even though I decided to go with the 2012 Proto CT to replace my 2009 SL, I would recommend the SL 158 for you because it is more damp (absorbs vibration and chop better) and still is going to be good in the park for basic jumps and boxes, it might be a bit harder to press it, but really if you know how to press a snowboard, you can do it with the SL, if you don't well you still won't really be able to press the Proto CT either.

Honestly, if you don't plan on going to the park... might want to look at the Heritage as well. Owning/loving a Never Summer Proto CT has become the latest of many internet trends ("It's what the cool kids ride!"). It's a great board, but it isn't the only good board out there.
Completely agree.

After a third day on the Proto and more importantly loaning it to a friend for a few runs, I don't think a relatively new rider is going to enjoy the subtle nuances of the ProtoCT.

Also to add onto the "not the only good board out there".... agree here as well.

The ProtoCT is getting a lot of hype and I wouldn't have posted a review if I didn't think it warranted some extra attention. The ProtoCT is a unique board and for those who've been riding a long time, it's design and performance does offer something to genuinely get excited about. That said, the ProtoCT's popularity means nothing in terms of other boards, their design or performance. NS could've just as easily missed the mark completely and no one would be talking about it.

There's been alot of "advancements" in snowboarding, but you have to remember these companies have to invent new and exciting features to keep their product line "hot".

Twin tip -> 3D baseplates -> FatBob -> Baseless -> Capped -> Clip-in -> Carbon -> Aluminum -> Slider > Glueless -> Magnetraction -> Rocker -> RC....etc.

Some of you will recall, most of these "advancements" (and the many I left off) were little more than hype. My opinion is what we're seeing with the ProtoCT is proving to be a promising evolution in design and materials. I suspect next year's NS lineup will show heavy influence from the ProtoCT's popularity.
axehandle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #683 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Never Summer contacted me and offered me a position in their online design team
i didn't bother reading all 69 pages of crap in here. but i wouldn't even bother, knowing ^^^^ this alone.
casper3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #684 (permalink)
Member
 
nofronts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axehandle44 View Post
Completely agree.

After a third day on the Proto and more importantly loaning it to a friend for a few runs, I don't think a relatively new rider is going to enjoy the subtle nuances of the ProtoCT.

Also to add onto the "not the only good board out there".... agree here as well.

The ProtoCT is getting a lot of hype and I wouldn't have posted a review if I didn't think it warranted some extra attention. The ProtoCT is a unique board and for those who've been riding a long time, it's design and performance does offer something to genuinely get excited about. That said, the ProtoCT's popularity means nothing in terms of other boards, their design or performance. NS could've just as easily missed the mark completely and no one would be talking about it.

There's been alot of "advancements" in snowboarding, but you have to remember these companies have to invent new and exciting features to keep their product line "hot".

Twin tip -> 3D baseplates -> FatBob -> Baseless -> Capped -> Clip-in -> Carbon -> Aluminum -> Slider > Glueless -> Magnetraction -> Rocker -> RC....etc.

Some of you will recall, most of these "advancements" (and the many I left off) were little more than hype. My opinion is what we're seeing with the ProtoCT is proving to be a promising evolution in design and materials. I suspect next year's NS lineup will show heavy influence from the ProtoCT's popularity.
Based on what you said about a "new rider" being someone who never road before period, how would you say a 15 year rider would appreciate it after riding a standard camber Burton balance from 7 years ago till present? I just bought the Proto 157 yesterday to replace the balance i've been on the past 7 years. So i have experience in riding but have never rode a rocker, reverse camber or any other hybrid.
nofronts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #685 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper3043 View Post
i didn't bother reading all 69 pages of crap in here. but i wouldn't even bother, knowing ^^^^ this alone.


jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #686 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper3043 View Post
i didn't bother reading all 69 pages of crap in here. but i wouldn't even bother, knowing ^^^^ this alone.
Why do you even post then, some people accually like the information
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #687 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofronts View Post
Based on what you said about a "new rider" being someone who never road before period, how would you say a 15 year rider would appreciate it after riding a standard camber Burton balance from 7 years ago till present? I just bought the Proto 157 yesterday to replace the balance i've been on the past 7 years. So i have experience in riding but have never rode a rocker, reverse camber or any other hybrid.
All this depending on where you're riding..

I never rode the balance, but I did ride the Dragon. If my memory serves me correctly that board had a fairly deep sidecut, narrow waist and was pretty stiff (mktd as Terje's pipe/allmountain board). Depending on how much camber you've lost in the 7yrs of riding, you're definitely going to notice a degree of difference with RC. The difference won't be polarizing, meaning you aren't going to hate it, however you may not fall in love with it if your riding style exploits the responsiveness of camber. Like I said earlier, the ProtoCT does allow quick turn initiation, just need to take advantage of the board's flexibility to initiate your turn.

Long story tedious..

With your experience I think you'll appreciate the difference and won't feel limited. Now, conversely if you were going from RC to all camber and deep sidecut.. that'd be a WHOLE different story. In many ways that's why the ProtoCT is getting so much attention. It's the first RC board I've ridden that didn't leave me feeling like I sacrificed something by moving away from camber. Even the Heritage RC I rode last year had me yearning for camber some days. I'm going on record as saying next year's SL will incorporate design influences from the ProtoCT and we'll be the next "must have" board.

Then again, what do I know...
axehandle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #688 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofronts View Post
Based on what you said about a "new rider" being someone who never road before period, how would you say a 15 year rider would appreciate it after riding a standard camber Burton balance from 7 years ago till present? I just bought the Proto 157 yesterday to replace the balance i've been on the past 7 years. So i have experience in riding but have never rode a rocker, reverse camber or any other hybrid.
yes, go ride it if you have snow and worry less.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #689 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 227
Default

sorry about another "is this board or this board good for me" question, but i rode an arbor westmark 156 last year, and i love it but it tends to squirrel and get choppy in certain conditions, it feels a little slow to pick up speed, and some of my landings off jumps come out a little loopy (like i have to pay extra attention to how i take off).

i'm deciding between the evo and the proto and likely will be debating this for a few more weeks before choosing (hopefully neither sells out). i'm by no means a park rat; my friends and i tend to just stop over there on our way down and don't spend our entire day unstrapping and walking back up, but we do enjoy aggressively riding through everything taking hits off the sides of trails, executing sharp turns, or buttering our way down when we feel like being playful. which board would generally suit me better? i don't mind working a bit harder on the mountain if it means i can have a lot more fun doing it, but i guess it depends what kind of trade-off it is.

i rode my friend's proto 154, though it was for a very short run; it felt similar in most ways. a few things i noticed were that i could gain speed more quickly, turn initiation was easier though it might've been due to the slightly smaller size, and it felt more stable at high speeds and going through chop. i felt ollies would a bit easier as well.

i'm willing to work a little harder going down the mountain if it means i can potentially have more fun doing so. call me crazy but i sometimes actually enjoy the chatter and noise that comes with my board; it's more unsettling if i have a super smooth ride. i guess it's the sports car mentality?
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #690 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper3043 View Post
i didn't bother reading all 69 pages of crap in here. but i wouldn't even bother, knowing ^^^^ this alone.
Why? If you bothered actually reading anything let alone any my other posts, you would realize that all that means is I get to review boards for Never Summer. They have a pool of people that they send boards to for reviews. This list includes Snowolf and AngrySnowboarder as well.

None of us get paid for this. We get to keep some boards, but well... our reviews do pull in revenue so that's not very unreasonable right?

I review tons of other boards. If you take a look at the site on my signature, you'll see my other reviews. It just so happens that I ended up really liking Never Summer. They make damn good boards and that's that. I don't have a reputation of buying into hype around here. Ask any of the Union fans that have been here. Or the Skate Banana lovers.

This is exactly why parents teach their children to never judge a book by its cover.

Thanks for the hate though. I love it.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums