Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT - Page 86 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #851 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you think the evo would suffice as an all mountain board? or will the chatter be really noticeable?
Soyza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #852 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyza View Post
do you think the evo would suffice as an all mountain board? or will the chatter be really noticeable?
I'm actually asking myself the same exact question as you. I'm leaning towards the Proto for my quiver-killer, but I want to consider the new evo as well just in case.

It may be best to hold out for extremo and leo's reviews of the new evo and proto and then make a decision from there.
backstop13 is offline  
post #853 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unfortunately I cant wait too long cos I have a trip planned real soon, and my friend is gonna help me pick it up in the states early march,haha.

It would be really sick if the new evo retains the flexibility and butterability of the old one but gains the stability of the Proto at high speeds.
Soyza is offline  
post #854 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
I though I read in Leo's review that the Evo 4.0 doesn't have as much chatter in it due to the HD tech.
The Proto also has the HD tech so the two boards still slot the same
jdang307 is offline  
post #855 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
The Proto also has the HD tech so the two boards still slot the same
Gotcha, but do you think for us east coast boys that only have so much mountain to ride that this year's damper Evo may be more our style?

I want to just go ahead and pull the trigger on the Proto, but I keep thinking the Evo might be more my style even though I'm more of an all-mountain kinda guy.

I bought an SL pretty quickly last year without giving the Proto much chance, so I'm afraid of doing the same thing again
backstop13 is offline  
post #856 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Never been on the east coast, but I ride similar mountains here (Big Bear, Mt High). The Evo is fine for that.

I rode the Evo at Loveland and Breckenridge. It was fine but when pushed it did chatter. I'll leave the HD stuff to those who actually ride it, but I'd be very impressed if they stopped the chatter.

Honestly, what was it about the SL you didn't like?

I jumped on a Coda and so far it's the most fun I've been on (which includes the SL and Evo). Jury is out on the Cobra as I've only had a couple days in Seattle on it. I need to take it to Mammoth to really know.

I'm not swaying you away from the Proto. I'd love to jump on one to try. Trying to get my buddy to buy one so we can swap Cobra/Proto whenever we want.
jdang307 is offline  
post #857 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Never been on the east coast, but I ride similar mountains here (Big Bear, Mt High). The Evo is fine for that.

I rode the Evo at Loveland and Breckenridge. It was fine but when pushed it did chatter. I'll leave the HD stuff to those who actually ride it, but I'd be very impressed if they stopped the chatter.

Honestly, what was it about the SL you didn't like?

I jumped on a Coda and so far it's the most fun I've been on (which includes the SL and Evo). Jury is out on the Cobra as I've only had a couple days in Seattle on it. I need to take it to Mammoth to really know.

I'm not swaying you away from the Proto. I'd love to jump on one to try. Trying to get my buddy to buy one so we can swap Cobra/Proto whenever we want.
Honestly, I love my SL, just thought the blunted tips, more pop, and true twin would be a better fit for me. I love hitting all the natural features on my little hill here, but you can only do that so much before you get bored here. An average run here takes 30 seconds with a 5 minute lift ride. I'm just torn as whether to get something I can butter and press a little easier than my SL
backstop13 is offline  
post #858 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
Honestly, I love my SL, just thought the blunted tips, more pop, and true twin would be a better fit for me. I love hitting all the natural features on my little hill here, but you can only do that so much before you get bored here. An average run here takes 30 seconds with a 5 minute lift ride. I'm just torn as whether to get something I can butter and press a little easier than my SL
30 seconds? Shit you can strap on a lunch tray and ride that down



That hill must be small, because my parks are small but they're not 30 second rides down.

Get the Evo. The Proto has the same flex as the SL in theory. Or just go get a noodle. If I was riding a hill that small, I'd be on a Rome Shank (just bought one ) or even a Rome Boneless.
jdang307 is offline  
post #859 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
backstop, i feel exactly the same way as you, I just feel like buying a proto but im afraid the evo will be more than enough to handle the speeds I ride and allow me to have more fun and butter easier, haha.
Soyza is offline  
post #860 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
30 seconds? Shit you can strap on a lunch tray and ride that down



That hill must be small, because my parks are small but they're not 30 second rides down.

Get the Evo. The Proto has the same flex as the SL in theory. Or just go get a noodle. If I was riding a hill that small, I'd be on a Rome Shank (just bought one ) or even a Rome Boneless.
It might be longer than 30 seconds, but not by much...

The longest run is 3,800 feet with a 556 feet vertical drop. I need to convince the wife to move, but no dice so far on that
backstop13 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome