Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT - Page 88 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #871 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanna say Jules Winnfield is the man!!

Damn, i guess the 2014 Evo, would be better suited to me. Ah well, cant wait till august so the proto ct will just have to do, haha.
Soyza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

Next year's Proto is a different beast altogether. You could have both the Proto CT and the HD in your quiver and they'll be different boards. Actually, same goes for the Evos too. Just that the difference between the Protos are bigger.
Has the new Proto moved towards the SL? I'm guessing it maintains a lot of pop like the old models, but gains greater dampness and a ride similar to the SL. If that's the case, and the Evo 4.0 lends itself towards more all-mountain freestyle, that might be the board for me. I like ollie-ing on my SL now off of natural rollers and kickers, but I've wanted to butter it a little more than I can. I don't know if the lack of butterability from my SL is from my lack of skill or just the stiffness of the board. Probably a bit of both

If only you could talk Vince into adding the bright orange sno-glo effect on the bottom of the 4.0...I'd be sold in a heartbeat!!
backstop13 is offline  
post #873 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Leo, I know you said in another thread that you weren't a big fan of the Proto's changes. Has that opinion changed? My friend is on the fence about buying one right now. But at these prices he can certainly wait until next season and pick up a new one. I'll just loan him my boards for the time being.
jdang307 is offline  
post #874 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PDX, OR
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I honestly can say that the new Evo is without a doubt a superb east coast board. There's nothing here in Michigan that I don't trust the board on. So far, I've ridden it in both good and bad conditions. I was not ever upset with the board. For the previous Evo models, I would have said it's perfect for the rider that has mostly a freestyle biased riding style. With the 4.0, I think it's going to be a killer choice for someone who does an equal mix of park/all-mountain freestyle.

Between the current Proto and next year's Evo, it's a tough call. The Proto is still the better jump board though.

Next year's Proto is a different beast altogether. You could have both the Proto CT and the HD in your quiver and they'll be different boards. Actually, same goes for the Evos too. Just that the difference between the Protos are bigger.



Are you freestyling on the mountain as well? The SL is going to be noticeably more stable, but the Proto has the pop and butterability. I've seen people butter the SL so it's not undoable. Just saying Proto is better suited to that stuff.
Leo, I know you can't speak about the 2014 Proto HD but if my only issue with this years is dampness, would I be better served to wait on nexts years Proto over this years SL?
Thanks
Jules Winnfield is offline  
post #875 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Leo, I know you can't speak about the 2014 Proto HD but if my only issue with this years is dampness, would I be better served to wait on nexts years Proto over this years SL?
Thanks
Next years Proto is real damp. You'll only feel noise on bumpy terrain at higher speeds. It won't buck you though.


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo is offline  
post #876 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Leo, I know you said in another thread that you weren't a big fan of the Proto's changes. Has that opinion changed? My friend is on the fence about buying one right now. But at these prices he can certainly wait until next season and pick up a new one. I'll just loan him my boards for the time being.
I'm starting to grow into it. It's really a great jump board. And on good snow, the thing glides like a champ. I was still riding through flats while my friends were unstrapping to skate.

I need to ride it more. I think my initial dislike came from the combination of added dampening (I truly felt the Proto was already damp enough for the style) and brand new board feel. It's breaking in nicely now. Spending the day hitting jumps helped. Especially knuckling a few times lol.


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo is offline  
post #877 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
Has the new Proto moved towards the SL? I'm guessing it maintains a lot of pop like the old models, but gains greater dampness and a ride similar to the SL. If that's the case, and the Evo 4.0 lends itself towards more all-mountain freestyle, that might be the board for me. I like ollie-ing on my SL now off of natural rollers and kickers, but I've wanted to butter it a little more than I can. I don't know if the lack of butterability from my SL is from my lack of skill or just the stiffness of the board. Probably a bit of both

If only you could talk Vince into adding the bright orange sno-glo effect on the bottom of the 4.0...I'd be sold in a heartbeat!!
The SL is definitely buttereable. So is the new proto HD. Not easy on either board but still doable. I was nose and tail pressing the HD through all the groomed flats on sunday. 180lbs, 158 proto HD
redlude97 is offline  
post #878 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I'm starting to grow into it. It's really a great jump board. And on good snow, the thing glides like a champ. I was still riding through flats while my friends were unstrapping to skate.

I need to ride it more. I think my initial dislike came from the combination of added dampening (I truly felt the Proto was already damp enough for the style) and brand new board feel. It's breaking in nicely now. Spending the day hitting jumps helped. Especially knuckling a few times lol.


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Leo, so does the proto HD still have the pop the ct's do?
jrcanami is offline  
post #879 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Review: 2012 Never Summer Proto CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcanami View Post
Leo, so does the proto HD still have the pop the ct's do?
Most definitely.


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo is offline  
post #880 of 925 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
Honestly, I love my SL, just thought the blunted tips, more pop, and true twin would be a better fit for me. I love hitting all the natural features on my little hill here, but you can only do that so much before you get bored here. An average run here takes 30 seconds with a 5 minute lift ride. I'm just torn as whether to get something I can butter and press a little easier than my SL
You and I are kinda in the same boat regarding terrain availability. I'm in Maryland tho. I'm reserving my Evo 4.0 in June at my LBS...can't wait!
crash77 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome