REVIEW; Neversummer Raptor 156 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clarkston, WA
Posts: 237
Default REVIEW; Neversummer Raptor 156

Actually this is just a prequel, I'm heading up to http://www.Shweitzer.com this Sunday and Monday for first turns on this board and the forecast looks pretty promising for some nice pow.
About me, 160-165lbs sz 9 foot 5'5"... I've been riding 'seriously' for the last 7-ish years but off and on since I was 15... I'll be 40 in March. Not into park except for jumps/kickers and don't do switch unless I need to get out of a dicey situation.
I purchased the Raptor to replace my T.Rice 157... My pure pow board is a Lib Mullet 160 and I'll keep that for snorkel days! Love the rice but the waist width at 25.8 can be kind of a chore with my feet and it's a twin and I don't do much switch so..... in comes the Raptor. I was originally considering the Cobra but after much reading and noticing how reviewers (Snowolf, Leo, others) noted that the Heritage was stiffer than the Cobra and the T.Rice was stiffer than the Heritage... and I really like the stiffness of the rice
I'll update this thread probably Tuesday...

Happy riding
danm

Last edited by danm; 01-25-2013 at 07:14 PM.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

I'm already pleased to see the comparison of the T. Rice and the Heritage. I was always wondering how they compared.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clarkston, WA
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
I'm already pleased to see the comparison of the T. Rice and the Heritage. I was always wondering how they compared.
TBH, I haven't ridden a Heritage, I was just going off of Leo's statements stating that T.Rice was stiffer!
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Default

I really want this board but am worried it might be too big for me since I weigh 130lb. Would it be too big, I obviously plan to just carve and ride powder with this board.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clarkston, WA
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTracers View Post
I really want this board but am worried it might be too big for me since I weigh 130lb. Would it be too big, I obviously plan to just carve and ride powder with this board.
Well I still need to make some turns on it so I can't really recommend it yet but it's a big mountain board, where do you ride?
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Default

Well I live in SoCal and currently ride mostly snow summit but will being going to mammoth for a week next month and I have already been for a week this year. I currently have a rome reverb rocker because I thought i wanted to get into park but I now hate this board. Its so soft, not damp at all and just unstable. Next year I will be going to mammoth a lot more since my brother will be living up there. By a lot more I mean every weekend I get the chance, which will be pretty much every weekend.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Default

So do you think the 156 is too big for me? I would be sad since its the smallest size.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clarkston, WA
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Not what you want to hear, but yes. The Raptor is a very stiff board and has to be man handled aggressively to get the performance out of it that it was designed for. Having a Raptor that is too big for the rider's weight is going to make the riding experience unpleasant compared to being on a deck that is better matched to the rider.

At 130 pounds, a 156 in any board is big but on a Raptor it's going to be even worse. At your weight,the best match for you in the Neversummer line is going to be an SL in a 151. A close second and third will be in order, the Proto HD in a 152 then a Cobra in a 153.

I would love to be able to stoke you on the Raptor, but I feel honesty is better than telling you what you want to hear. The Raptor is a beast and unfortunately does not come in a length close to ideal for you. You are going to enjoy your riding much more on a different board better matched to your weight.
Agree completely...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Default

Alright well I want a big mountain powder board so what would you recommend that comes in a smaller size. Would the Jones Flagship be a similar type of board also is the 154 of that too big?

Last edited by EatMyTracers; 01-27-2013 at 02:32 AM.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clarkston, WA
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Actually this is just a prequel, I'm heading up to http://www.Shweitzer.com this Sunday and Monday for first turns on this board and the forecast looks pretty promising for some nice pow.
About me, 160-165lbs sz 9 foot 5'5"... I've been riding 'seriously' for the last 7-ish years but off and on since I was 15... I'll be 40 in March. Not into park except for jumps/kickers and don't do switch unless I need to get out of a dicey situation.
I purchased the Raptor to replace my T.Rice 157... My pure pow board is a Lib Mullet 160 and I'll keep that for snorkel days! Love the rice but the waist width at 25.8 can be kind of a chore with my feet and it's a twin and I don't do much switch so..... in comes the Raptor. I was originally considering the Cobra but after much reading and noticing how reviewers (Snowolf, Leo, others) noted that the Heritage was stiffer than the Cobra and the T.Rice was stiffer than the Heritage... and I really like the stiffness of the rice
I'll update this thread probably Tuesday...

Happy riding
danm
Well... I'm back from my initial ride of the Raptor and all I can say is... WOW!!! It's like Neversummer designed and built a board for ME... like I was a pro and... I aint... Everything is perfect for the riding I like to do, steeps, powder, trees, bombing. It seriously turns on less than a dime even going slow but really opens up at speed... seems to turn 'almost' before you think about it, it's that instantaneous. It's definitely stiff but didn't really seem more so than my T.Rice, but that probably has to do with the waist width and being able to pressure the edges better with my foot size.
Snow conditions were mostly awesome with some 12"+ on 45 degree+ pitches and float was awesome... I'm really curious how well it does in the 2' plus stuff... I might not even need my Mullet anymore

BTW... Snowolf, you're going to LOVE this board
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums