Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: 3 Day Trip on 17th.....Resort Drivable from LA that Doesn't Suck? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
01-14-2014 12:47 PM
Argo 3 hours isn't shit. I agree with digger, at that 15/70 junction it's not too big a commitment. I have made that drive 6-7 times and it's easy cruising...

It's snowing today still.
01-14-2014 09:23 AM
DiggerXJ Plus, coming from someone who's done the LA-colo and LA-SLC drives a dozen times, after you hit the junction to decide to either go to SLC or CO, you won't care about the extra drive time. Your brain at that point is numb and you should be in the driving zone.
01-14-2014 09:18 AM
DiggerXJ Yes. Cause even after a week of no snow our conditions will still be the best in the country.
01-13-2014 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Alta doesn't allow snowboards, snowbird does. I have a group of friends that were out there until yesterday and said coverage was ok except for the lower elevations Of The mtn getting Some rain.... Waist deep powder here today....
Snowbird seems good.....except for the rain and sun in forecast.

Colorado isnt forecasting much snow either though. You think it's worth the extra 3+ hours for the drive to Vail?
01-13-2014 11:22 PM
Argo Alta doesn't allow snowboards, snowbird does. I have a group of friends that were out there until yesterday and said coverage was ok except for the lower elevations Of The mtn getting Some rain.... Waist deep powder here today....
01-13-2014 11:15 PM
stonedzombie Thanks for all the replies guys.

Really seems like the snow gods are against me this trip.

Need to really get the last minute prep under way but all mountains are looking bare throughout the weekend.

As mentioned, it looks like Utah got slammed pretty hard earlier this week, so I'm thinking Alta, Utah maybe? Options seem scarce, but considering the snow base they have, it seems like the best option given the circumstances...

01-08-2014 12:36 PM
Argo Also, I live in the middle of vail and it is almost exactly 12 hours from my place to my brothers place in LA, he is about 3 miles from the beach in LA. That is in good traffic and decent driving conditions. Add 45 minutes for breck. Subtract an hour for aspen.
01-08-2014 12:32 PM
Argo I have been to both places in the last month and neither have gotten much snow since I have been. It's a 6 hour drive for me to get to the canyons(not the resort of that name)and we just had an event cancel from snowbird for this weekend because they do not have a good enough off groomer base. I travel and ride these places throughout the season, the past 2 seasons, but feel free to take that advice and go to SLC.... I'll keep riding our pow as much as I can for the next couple months with no lines and personal gondolas....
01-08-2014 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
So SLC gets one storm on a shit base or no base and you recommend that. Fuck that. I'd rather drive an extra 2-3 hours for way better open terrain and conditions. We have a solid base all over CO and continue to get snow. We got "2"" over night but I was still slamming through knee deep shit at 845 this morning and 4-6" on some of the groomers. I wish I didn't have to work right now or I'd still be hitting fresh snow. There is no crowd around until march either.....
Rabble Rabble Rabble. First of all.....SLC and Tahoe are two different worlds right now. While Tahoe is brown town, SLC does have a base, just nothing new in quite a while. The extra 25% drive time, IMHO, will not be worth the wonders of CO. The Cottonwood resorts are touting the same conditions as CB, Tell, and Aspen. Sure, Summit has (finally) gotten a decent series of snow, but I wouldn't send someone there, an extra 3+ hours when they can get essentially the same thing as SLC.

SLC will get 2-3 feet this weekend. Lift tickets are a ton cheaper in SLC (especially if you stop at the Lifthouse in Cottonwood Heights, just at the entrance of the access roads to Brighton, Solitude, and Snowbird.)

Maybe going to work is what made you all sorts of grumpy. No worries, I get it. I said before, make a game-time decision.
01-08-2014 12:14 PM
Argo You have an advantage though, your driving either way and can make a last minute decision.... Unless SLC gets 2' of snow this weekend and then another 12" or more before You get there I'd stay clear. Tahoe and Utah are hurting right now.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome