Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: what's this specific technique in dynamic riding called Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
02-04-2014 09:29 PM
stillz I'm not sure which part of the video the OP is referring to, but here are some things I saw:

In wrath's video, the rider is consistently using an extension movement at the edge change to unweight the board. You can see the legs extending just before the edge change, then flexing again to increase the pressure through the turn. This is sometimes called a cross-over turn, as the body moves over the board from one edge to the other.

Alternatively, one could unweight the board at edge change by rapidly flexing the the legs, then adding pressure through the turn by progressively extending the legs. The rider in blue can be seen doing this in the OP's video, though it's more subtle than the extension move mentioned above. Watch carefully around the 2:45-2:50 mark and you'll see it. I think this technique is especially useful in bumps. As wrath said, there is a slight upper body twist in the direction of the new turn in both examples.

2:38-2:42 is a good example/exaggerated demo of upper/lower body separation. The upper body is eerily quiet and static, while the lower body and board move around underneath. This is an effective technique for very short radius turns. It can be combined with the flexion/extension movements above, but is performed in isolation in this example.
02-04-2014 10:18 AM
CassMT i believe the technical term for that is the 'Texas Shuffle'
02-04-2014 09:41 AM
wrathfuldeity Basically hips going up and down also hump and dump....all to various degrees. To improve form....SQUAT and top missionary position...and watch the pre-rotation of the leading shoulder drop and close and open and look at his leading hand pump and almost touches the snow on toe/heel side.

02-04-2014 09:24 AM
Unowned remove the word carving.
02-04-2014 08:09 AM
hardasacatshead Out of interest, what would be the opposite of a dynamic carve? At static carve? Is that like the ones I do on the carpet in my lounge room in the summer?
02-04-2014 07:34 AM
ksup3erb Sliding. 10char
02-04-2014 12:37 AM
jdang307 At which point did you see this? I didn't see any carving. I did see dynamic turns though.
02-03-2014 11:46 PM
what's this specific technique in dynamic riding called


Stowe Mtn Resort's World-Class Ski & Snowboard School - YouTube

In this vid, the rider is doing some dynamic carving, but is very actively engaging his hips, is there a technical term for this? Also, what exercises should be done in order to improve or pick this form up?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome