Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: How are my turns? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 
   

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
11-24-2011 11:23 AM
Jr@BlueKnob Shoulders are open....try pretending like you are putting your lead hand in your trailing pocket. Not initiating your turns with your front foot....try putting more weight on your leading foot. Sorry if I repeated others didnt look through the replies.
11-22-2011 11:02 AM
Peaceryder
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
take advice from the Euro's
"you carve you carve, you no slide.. even when its icy..."
Haha, those europeans know how to get it done. Technically if you're 'sliding' down the mountain, you're going toooooooo slow! Think it's mostly to do with confidence because any intermediate and up rider will tell you that double blacks are WAYYYYYYY easier to ride down than say a green where you have zero speed.... When I first learned snowboarding I went with my buddy (expert skier) who took me on nothing less than double blacks most of the time and when you're doing that you have to commit to a line going down, lol, so it forces you to actually learn to snowboard the right way. Not gonna lie, my board took a beating going over rocks because I wussed out and 'slid' sideways down the hill for a short time, but what happens is you say to yourself, screw this man, I'm going for it and you point your board down the steepest line and JUST DO IT. WAIT MAN, that's not so bad, my turns flowed so smoothly and I had such awesome consistent momentum. Plus, many stay away from the real steeps, hehe, so you always get a pow run!
I dunno, went into a bit of a tangent here. The gist of what I'm saying is sometimes you learn best by throwing yourself down the mountain. I found that my once stiff leg going down runs was caused by me being mentally lazy. Why? because I had zero speed and was waiting for the turn to start itself (I'm sure many shredders know what I mean here). Getting sick of catching an edge, falling on ur arse or w/e, then point your board down and charge at it with confidence. P.s. when you (crash) on a double black you don't have far to fall because you're already laying down in the freshie when you carve :P

[QUOTE=Jenzo;436122]Depends how ridden it is... that's when you get into jump turning on moguls. God I love steep pow runs with no skiered up shit on em, though it can be fun too. One great thing about Silver Star, lots of double blacks. When I went to Mt. Bachelor the conditions were so bad they had warning signs all over this gondola run (it was like a double black of ice, literally). I made it down but it was a bit scarey as if you fell you slide, allllll the way down. To me steep double blacks with mogles and decent snow are nothing, ice is the enemy!

This reminds me of Kicking Horse Resort if you've ever been. It's a GEM of pow most days, that is until you get to the bottom portion of the hill where it's a skating rink every spring, lol.
11-11-2011 02:06 PM
viennadisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt166 View Post
Your hips are a out of line on your toeside turns - notice how you have a straight front leg and bent back leg? This normally puts people in the back seat a little bit, which makes controlling your speed on your toes on steeps difficult.

I would work on that for now, then on some flexion and extension. Your lower body is pretty static, apart from you pushing your back leg out on those toe turns of course because your not steering the board with your front foot.

Not bad tho.
Thanks OP for this, I found this site searching for snowboarding steep hills. I have a very similar style to you and I am having a problem controlling my speed on the steep stuff. Lots of good info here, thanks Matt and Snowolf.
11-09-2011 09:19 PM
Jenzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoFreshies View Post
on the topic of form in shit like that, whats your advice for riding chutes/steep ass double diamonds in utah. The last time i was in utah i was at powder mtn which doesent have really stupid steep stuff, it was also a 2ft pow day so i stuck to glades, and the time before that i was at snowbird but it was icy as shit and didnt want to hit the double diamonds with that much ice. So provided i get my utah trip this year to snowbird or the canyons or one of the resorts and there is some workable snow, i would like to find some chutes and utah style double blacks. Any good tips, besides the dont lean back too much previously stated in this thread?
Depends how ridden it is... that's when you get into jump turning on moguls. God I love steep pow runs with no skiered up shit on em, though it can be fun too. One great thing about Silver Star, lots of double blacks. When I went to Mt. Bachelor the conditions were so bad they had warning signs all over this gondola run (it was like a double black of ice, literally). I made it down but it was a bit scarey as if you fell you slide, allllll the way down. To me steep double blacks with mogles and decent snow are nothing, ice is the enemy!

11-09-2011 03:11 PM
oneshot Classsics of carving..
11-09-2011 02:50 PM
IdahoFreshies i think ill take advice from capt. snowolf up there instead.
11-09-2011 02:42 PM
oneshot take advice from the Euro's
"you carve you carve, you no slide.. even when its icy..."
11-09-2011 11:30 AM
IdahoFreshies thanks for the great reply!! It looks like i will be working on refining the fore-aft weight shifting this year. Is that something that some what happens on its own already by initiating turn and changing edges, or do i need to the thinking about it and making sure to shift my weight each time? also im not sure if im too tall while riding, i dont think i am, i am pretty sure i usually keep a low aggressive stance. so ill keep that in mind and see if i need to not be as stiff legged. That chute looked killer if it would have had some decent snow all the way down, but that just looked miserable.
11-09-2011 01:10 AM
jdang307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoh View Post
Turn initiation is started at the front, when you lean back you lose that. By leaning forward on a steep you're more squarely centering yourself over your board allowing it to do it's job. Our natural instinct is to lean back up the hill to be in line with gravity, when being perpendicular to the slope is what's required to ride the board properly.
For some reason my natural instinct is to lean forward. I guess I learned quickly on that
11-09-2011 01:01 AM
Bayoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Is it weird that when I'm on a steep hill, my first inclination is too lean a little forward to steer with my front foot? I find it's easier for me to turn and I need to turn so I don't go flying down the hill. I notice when I lean back it's harder to turn and I actually gather speed too fast. So when I'm looking at a steep hill I lean forward and go, helps me with control for some reason
Turn initiation is started at the front, when you lean back you lose that. By leaning forward on a steep you're more squarely centering yourself over your board allowing it to do it's job. Our natural instinct is to lean back up the hill to be in line with gravity, when being perpendicular to the slope is what's required to ride the board properly.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome