Starting small...first trip out this season. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 709
Default Starting small...first trip out this season.

Damn, never started so late, but conditions in New England have been TERRIBLE. The holiday season ends Thursday, so lift tix go back down in price, so I'm going to hit up Butternut for a little warm-up day ($25 tix). There's a 70% chance of snow, and reasonable temps (upper 20s). And they're 100% open! Okay, so it's only 22 trails and 1000' vert, but still, it's a fun mountain and Butternut is great for a quick day trip. Friday it drops to sub-zero, so Thursday is the best chance to finally get some runs in.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andrewdod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plymouth, NH
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
Damn, never started so late, but conditions in New England have been TERRIBLE. The holiday season ends Thursday, so lift tix go back down in price, so I'm going to hit up Butternut for a little warm-up day ($25 tix). There's a 70% chance of snow, and reasonable temps (upper 20s). And they're 100% open! Okay, so it's only 22 trails and 1000' vert, but still, it's a fun mountain and Butternut is great for a quick day trip. Friday it drops to sub-zero, so Thursday is the best chance to finally get some runs in.
clearly you were not paying attention in early december! Best early season riding ive seen in years. I've already got 2 new hampshire pow days logged. You shoulda took a hike up 93 into the white mountains. you might have found some more than appealing riding. granted none of the NH mountains are 100% but for what they had open it was awesome! now after that warm snap... it may not be as nice...


Just gonna drop a little hint... NH is expecting 6-10 inches out of this storm. Soooo you might just wanna ditch butternut and chase the fresh...
__________________
-Andrew
It comes and it goes. Get it while it Lasts.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Default

R word down in Boston. Hope its snowing up there.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdod View Post
clearly you were not paying attention in early december! Best early season riding ive seen in years. I've already got 2 new hampshire pow days logged. You shoulda took a hike up 93 into the white mountains. you might have found some more than appealing riding. granted none of the NH mountains are 100% but for what they had open it was awesome! now after that warm snap... it may not be as nice...


Just gonna drop a little hint... NH is expecting 6-10 inches out of this storm. Soooo you might just wanna ditch butternut and chase the fresh...
I saw that Loon just got 12" -- but still not 100% open! The benefit of Butternut is that it is close to me...can be there in just over an hour. No "big mountain" to be sure, but it has a couple of fun steeps (relatively speaking) and you can't beat the $25 ticket. I generally wait for the ski club deals for lift tickets. I hate paying full price when I can ride for $30-40. For instance, on Jan 10-12 I can get Stowe tix for $46 for 1 day or $100 for 3 days. Next week is Sunapee for $38, then the following week Loon, Waterville and Ragged for $39. I'm ready! Let it snow.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
andrewdod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plymouth, NH
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
I saw that Loon just got 12" -- but still not 100% open! The benefit of Butternut is that it is close to me...can be there in just over an hour. No "big mountain" to be sure, but it has a couple of fun steeps (relatively speaking) and you can't beat the $25 ticket. I generally wait for the ski club deals for lift tickets. I hate paying full price when I can ride for $30-40. For instance, on Jan 10-12 I can get Stowe tix for $46 for 1 day or $100 for 3 days. Next week is Sunapee for $38, then the following week Loon, Waterville and Ragged for $39. I'm ready! Let it snow.

Thats sweet man! But I gotcha beat. I go to Cannon for 8 bucks through my school. They have a deal worked out with them. And I've got a free season pass to Waterville as well for working there. I like the idea of looking for deals. Cannon is getting old. And I dnt ride at Waterville so much bec none of my friends have a pass.
__________________
-Andrew
It comes and it goes. Get it while it Lasts.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 709
Default

What a bunch of wussies! The car is packed, got my double layers of thermal gear ready, new playlist ready...and everyone is backing out of the snowboard trip tomorrow! It was supposed to start snowing mid-day tomorrow, about 5-8". But the weather service changed the forecast (and replaced the storm watch with a warning), and now it is supposed to start about 4am with 2-5" of fresh on the ground by first chair! Storm totals will be up to 18" in the Berkshires by the time this ends on Friday. Everyone is afraid of not getting home. Aww...so we bunk up in a cheap motel if we get snowed in! How bad could it be? The turnpike will be clear -- maybe slow going, but they'll keep it plowed. Hell, this is New England! It is supposed to snow up here! What is wrong with everybody? Gonna be a great day of riding tomorrow...I may have to go it alone.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Default

Who are you talking to?
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksup3erb View Post
Who are you talking to?
Just ranting! It was my op about riding tomorrow. Now it's all falling to shit because of, of all things, SNOW! The people I was going with are all backing out because it's going to SNOW. 5" of fresh in the AM, there will be knee-deep powder by the afternoon, and no one wants to go because there will be too much snow!

Forgive me. Just self-pity...my first trip this season is going to be cancelled because it's snowing. Go figure.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Default

Morning commute will suck buddy. Go now and find somewhere to stay
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 342
Default

Terrible??? From what I've been seeing, albiet via videos and posts, this has been one of the best early seasons in years. Ive been staring at my computer upset that I have been missing it all. Headed out to Mount Snow this weekend
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums