Hunter or pocono - Page 6 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 52
Default

I am planning on going to Hunter tomorrow. I will be wielding an axe on one hand and a spike ball and chain on the other. Any one that gets in my way will get smashed.
deeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 184
Default

hunter akways
loren646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
I love Hunter West. Its nearly deserted all the time, and now they have a high speed quad. No beginners clogging up the runs there.
i feel like it gets really hard and icy in the afternoon, but in the morning it's real nice. racers edge and lower/upper K-27 is usually empty too.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruceWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 101
Default Hunter - 1/28

I am always seeing ambulances running back and forth at Hunter which is as much a testimony to their terrain as to the folks that try to manage it. The more experienced I get the more that Hunter stands out as the best terrain area in the Catskills. Windham is boring, Belleayre ok but too short, Plattekill cant make their own snow and your are then left to the heavy snowmaking and terrain of Hunter. I also agree that hanging out in Hunter West is the best way to avoid crowds.

I want to go up this weekend - hopefully the ice pellets expected will turn to snow on the mountain
__________________
K2 09 Darkstar 160W Burton Custom||K2 10 Slayblade 166W Ride RX||Libtech-10 Skunk Ape 169W Ride SPi
BruceWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Shazkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 137
Default

I really like Hunter West now that I am better. Last time I was there they had a ton of soft manmade snow (since it was below 10 degrees)

I'm going up to Windham this weekend as a friend has a place there... but this weather does not look promising
Shazkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruceWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 101
Default Hunt (or Kill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazkar View Post
I really like Hunter West now that I am better. Last time I was there they had a ton of soft manmade snow (since it was below 10 degrees)

I'm going up to Windham this weekend as a friend has a place there... but this weather does not look promising
Yeah, weather looks bad - only promise is that if it does get into the high 30s/40's the snow...er, ice, will get soft by midday. Still considering a trip to Killington if I can convince my other half
__________________
K2 09 Darkstar 160W Burton Custom||K2 10 Slayblade 166W Ride RX||Libtech-10 Skunk Ape 169W Ride SPi
BruceWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #57 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
LuckyRVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWard View Post
I am always seeing ambulances running back and forth at Hunter which is as much a testimony to their terrain as to the folks that try to manage it. The more experienced I get the more that Hunter stands out as the best terrain area in the Catskills. Windham is boring, Belleayre ok but too short, Plattekill cant make their own snow and your are then left to the heavy snowmaking and terrain of Hunter. I also agree that hanging out in Hunter West is the best way to avoid crowds.

I want to go up this weekend - hopefully the ice pellets expected will turn to snow on the mountain

A skier friend and myself came to the same conclusion this past weekend. We were both absolutely beat by the end of the day after tackling the moguls on Hunter West all afternoon. I'm just to the point now (2nd season) where I can ride moguls. It was brutal.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Shazkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 137
Default

I have a feeling that sadly I will be spending more time in my friend's hot tub than on the mountain this weekend. Ugh. I looked up historical weather stats for NYC, Central Park.. by this time last year, we had over 49 inches of snowfall. This winter, 7 inches. Which seemed like less since most probably didn't stick.

I'm going up to Killington in mid-Feb... I'm hoping for at least some snow before then but I am not keeping those hopes high.
Shazkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruceWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
A skier friend and myself came to the same conclusion this past weekend. We were both absolutely beat by the end of the day after tackling the moguls on Hunter West all afternoon. I'm just to the point now (2nd season) where I can ride moguls. It was brutal.
Congrats on the improvement - (I still cant tell whether snowboarders should be doing moguls or not but I do like the challenge of trying them sometimes - except when they are iced out...
__________________
K2 09 Darkstar 160W Burton Custom||K2 10 Slayblade 166W Ride RX||Libtech-10 Skunk Ape 169W Ride SPi
BruceWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
LuckyRVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWard View Post
Congrats on the improvement - (I still cant tell whether snowboarders should be doing moguls or not but I do like the challenge of trying them sometimes - except when they are iced out...
Same here, I did not find them fun. It was more exhausting than anything. But, this was on Saturday after they got a few inches of snow and the skiers made moguls on nearly every black or double black by early afternoon. So, I didn't have much of a choice.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums