A shooting in a Connecticut elementary school WTF - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
509-pow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington state.
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dosnt look like he had kids there but his mom worked there and she is one of the dead.



if u dont wanna see his pic or his fb do not click this but to the ones that want a face.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/rlanza?fref=ts
509-pow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 11,231
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegreen View Post
They always are, and the question becomes what can we (if anything) do about it to try and prevent such senseless acts of violence. We don't have a particularly great mental health system here in the U.S., but I'm not convinced these types of things would go away even if we did. Just a terrible, terrible, event.
No these things will never go away. There is also no reason that they should happen with such regularity. Lots of pieces of the system need to be rethought. Not just gun control for sure. Mental health is huge.

We'll never eliminate it. History proves that, but we sure as hell can limit it better than this.
killclimbz is offline  
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509-pow View Post
dosnt look like he had kids there but his mom worked there and she is one of the dead.



if u dont wanna see his pic or his fb do not click this but to the ones that want a face.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/rlanza?fref=ts
He killed his father in New Jersey as well.
lacklusterskill is offline  
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
509-pow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington state.
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ya his dad too. the other man who was taking into custody at the school is his brother. they still dont know why he was there.
509-pow is offline  
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Treegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
We'll never eliminate it. History proves that, but we sure as hell can limit it better than this.
No argument here. This is simply the icing on the cake that has been a year of senseless public mass murders, but I certainly agree that if we had taken some steps to address the various contextual issues that lead to these types of events that we would have prevented at least one of them.
Treegreen is offline  
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
No these things will never go away. There is also no reason that they should happen with such regularity. Lots of pieces of the system need to be rethought. Not just gun control for sure. Mental health is huge.
Mental health is one of those things that's frowned upon talking about. You have to whisper to your friends if you're feeling depressed, and most people quickly look for a way out of that conversation if it's brought up. It's unfortunate that people can't say that they're scared, sad, lonely, etc. for fear of riducle, or being further outcast.

Unfortunately it's deeply engrained in our culture at this point to shun anyone who's suffering from a mental health issue in one way or another. I've been guilty at points in my life for making fun of people that were on anti-depressants. I made fun of somebody smart enough to go and try to get help! Now possibly the help provided (quick give them drugs and get to the next patient!) is what I should have been making fun of...

Whether mental health relates to this incident or not, it is something we need to confront head on. It's amazing how much better life can be when you get past a stumbling block in your brain... I KNOW.

It could help somebody from making a HORRIBLE decision.
poutanen is offline  
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jesus this is terrible news. Why does this keep happening over there??

Guns absolutely MUST go. RIP and condolences to the families.
oldmate is offline  
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 PM
t21
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MT.
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
just cannot understand what goes in their heads to commit such acts! i'm sure there would be those" he was a good person,loving,,,blah,blah but not sure why he/she did this.i guess will never know. just tired of excuses for the shooter but there is not much we can really do. sad as it is,this will become another tragedy, then state/city officials will talk about it, and later it will fade into the backburner with no solutions. i'm sorry if i offended anyone with my comments but its just how i feel. My prayers to the families of the victims.

2015 Rossi One Mag 159
2015 Capita Charlie Slasher 161
NX2-AT
FUSE-AT
t21 is offline  
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]
 
alaric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CNY
Posts: 1,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Mental health is one of those things that's frowned upon talking about. You have to whisper to your friends if you're feeling depressed, and most people quickly look for a way out of that conversation if it's brought up. It's unfortunate that people can't say that they're scared, sad, lonely, etc. for fear of riducle, or being further outcast.

Unfortunately it's deeply engrained in our culture at this point to shun anyone who's suffering from a mental health issue in one way or another. I've been guilty at points in my life for making fun of people that were on anti-depressants. I made fun of somebody smart enough to go and try to get help! Now possibly the help provided (quick give them drugs and get to the next patient!) is what I should have been making fun of...

Whether mental health relates to this incident or not, it is something we need to confront head on. It's amazing how much better life can be when you get past a stumbling block in your brain... I KNOW.

It could help somebody from making a HORRIBLE decision.


Everyone needs to be able to tell SOMEONE that they are hurt/lonely/sad/mad/depressed/whatever.

I'll be the first to throw it out there, if anyone on the forum needs someone to vent to, I'm here, totally unbiased. Just shoot me a PM and I'll send you my phone number if something's on your mind that you need to talk about.

life IS good.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alaric is offline  
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Treegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Mental health is one of those things that's frowned upon talking about. You have to whisper to your friends if you're feeling depressed, and most people quickly look for a way out of that conversation if it's brought up.
True, but it seems that people are more willing to at least think about the consequences of our current mental health system in light of this and the other events of this year. Gun control needs to be a part of the discussion, but in most cases it merely treats the symptom and not the disease.
Treegreen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome