Powder resorts? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to think the reason the right coast has such a bad rep for lack of powder has more to do with grooming than actual snowfall. Vermont averages over 200 inches a year....it's not grand targhee, but technically it should have half the powder days. And it's not even close to that. Hell, the berkshires get 1/5 the snow of grand targhee. I highly doubt they have 1/5 the amount of powder days. lol Grooming is totally neccessary, but should be done right before a storm hits after closing and then again after a full day of riding dependent on usage/how beat up it is. Going out and grooming fresh untouched powder is insanity and I've seen it done around here.

Last edited by PowderMonkey; 01-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
PowderMonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
I'm not talking ungroomed all the time. I just mean right after a storm/fresh snow comes in. Leave the fresh stuff alone and then groom at the end of the day. You're telling me that those resorts in VT groom every single green run; in the morning right before opening, after a big overnight dump? In other words, NEVER having any fresh powder? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'm a beginner rider. Don't really want to go on double lack trails. I don't feel like leafing it the whole way down. Want to stay safe and have fun.

I have sooo much fun riding on greens in powder. I just take it easy. It's so much more fun than groomed stuff. It's like your carving in the clouds.
Yes. Even out west here they groom every green and almost every blue run after snow. Why wouldn't you? Those runs are for people learning still and powder in general isn't conducive to learning and lead to people getting stock on gentle flats. If you want to ride powder, learn to ride blacks, trees, or hike.
redlude97 is offline  
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Yes. Even out west here they groom every green and almost every blue run after snow. Why wouldn't you? Those runs are for people learning still and powder in general isn't conducive to learning and lead to people getting stock on gentle flats. If you want to ride powder, learn to ride blacks, trees, or hike.
Exactly, it's almost impossible to ride a green with powder on it. Even blues you pretty much have to straight line them unless they're steep wide blues.

The best part about powder is that you can ride steeper terrain than you normally do without ending up going too fast!
poutanen is offline  
post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Tech420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So you want pow, but ride greens? I think less complaining and more riding should help you move up to those ungroomed trails instead of something with less pitch than my driveway.
Tech420 is offline  
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
I'm not talking ungroomed all the time. I just mean right after a storm/fresh snow comes in. Leave the fresh stuff alone and then groom at the end of the day. You're telling me that those resorts in VT groom every single green run; in the morning right before opening, after a big overnight dump? In other words, NEVER having any fresh powder? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'm a beginner rider. Don't really want to go on double lack trails. I don't feel like leafing it the whole way down. Want to stay safe and have fun.

I have sooo much fun riding on greens in powder. I just take it easy. It's so much more fun than groomed stuff. It's like your carving in the clouds.

Yes they will attempt to groom greens before the mountain opens, thats pretty much the definition of a green trail....groomed.

If its dumping all day when your there then you might get what your looking for.
brucew. is offline  
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Exactly, it's almost impossible to ride a green with powder on it. Even blues you pretty much have to straight line them unless they're steep wide blues.

The best part about powder is that you can ride steeper terrain than you normally do without ending up going too fast!
Maybe I should have taken a video of me riding a green trail with a mellow slope in 1/2 a foot of untouched powder. I had ZERO problem with speed(of course it was a little slower than groomed) or getting stuck and was carving big time on it. Maybe some of you need to work on your skills. LOL You don't need a steep pitch in less than a foot of fresh powder.

You don't need to be a kamikaze on the mountain to ride powder
Green trails should be left with powder. It makes falling less painful. It's easy to find groomed stuff around here anyway. Powder is rare.n Why destroy it. And people who like to stay safe and not get hurt and go a moderate speed enjoy riding powder.

Last edited by PowderMonkey; 01-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.
PowderMonkey is offline  
post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Valdez, Alaska
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
There's no ocean out west. LOL
I'm pretty sure there is...
tigre is offline  
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre View Post
I'm pretty sure there is...
I was thinking wy/co/utah. if you're at the ocean in southern cali, it's a long ass drive to a mountain right?
PowderMonkey is offline  
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
Maybe I should have taken a video of me riding a green trail with a mellow slope in 1/2 a foot of untouched powder. I had ZERO problem with speed or getting stuck and was carving big time on it. Maybe some of you need to work on your skills. LOL You don't need a steep pitch in less than a foot of fresh powder.

You don't need to be a kamikaze on the mountain to ride powder
Green trails should be left with powder. It makes falling less painful. It's easy to find groomed stuff around here anyway. Powder is rare.
WTF I can't believe you didn't take a video! That sounds fucking epic!

I really think you should open your own mountain. Obviously these other owners don't understand a thing about operating a resort. Grooming a green run? Idiots!
brucew. is offline  
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
Well since Whitewater only has like 2 green runs we have lots of ungroomed blues and 97% of blacks don't even know what a groomer looks like.


Is this because they don't ski/snowboard, or are you commenting on their hygiene habits?
bseracka is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome